Wanted - Dvd Of Dogs Sheep Herding

Erny

As per the title, I'm after a DVD showing dogs herding sheep. This can be about or a collation of competition herding (where the sheep need to move through gates etc, being pushed by the dog). I don't need it for education/documentary purposes as such. It is actually for an elderly lady who lives at a Nursing Home - she mentioned to me she loves watching this activity so I told her I'd see whether I could drum up a DVD.

Anyone know of a particularly good (ie interesting from a spectators enjoyment point of view) they could point me in the direction of?

ETA: Could also be a collation of YouTubes. These can be copied to DVD, can't they (pardon me, I'm not crash hot on computer stuff, :o)

Edited by Erny

And there is a beautiful DVD called A Year in the life of a Working Sheep Dog ....or something like that. Set on a farm on the coast of North Devon, with stunning scenery..is a lovely story as well, and the work done by the dogs is amazing.

One Man and His Dog if you can get it is brilliant as is Year on the Life of a Working Sheepdog. There was also an ABC series at some stage that I think was on the Trans Tasman competition between Australia and New Zealand.

ETA: There are a few available here. Some are training, some are other dog sports but One Man and His Dog and Year of the Working Sheepdog are there. There is also another series Mist which sounds like it could be good and similar to Year of the Working Sheepdog.

Edited by piper

Thank you all. I'm planning on putting together/collecting a few of these - for variety sake. I know the lady at the Nursing home who mentioned how much she loved watching the herding dogs work, would not be the only one there who'd enjoy watching. A bit of a selection adds that extra interest and option :D.

Cheers

Judi

There are plenty of videos of dogs working sheep in Yard and Utility trials available at the Working Kelpie Council's web page http://www.wkc.org.au/ Just go to the Photos and Videos tab at the top of the page and then to video gallery.

Thanks for this ..... but I wasn't able to burn the videos to disc so I could take them to the Nursing Home. Probably me - I'm not exactly smart when it comes to the 'finer' side of computer management. Mind you, I'm not exactly smart when it comes to ANYTHING computer, :laugh:

There are plenty of videos of dogs working sheep in Yard and Utility trials available at the Working Kelpie Council's web page http://www.wkc.org.au/ Just go to the Photos and Videos tab at the top of the page and then to video gallery.

Thanks for this ..... but I wasn't able to burn the videos to disc so I could take them to the Nursing Home. Probably me - I'm not exactly smart when it comes to the 'finer' side of computer management. Mind you, I'm not exactly smart when it comes to ANYTHING computer, :laugh:

Erny, the WKC videos are uploaded to the website vimeo (like youtube) over here: http://vimeo.com/user3655233/videos. You can download an add on for firefox or chrome that lets you download directly from vimeo to your computer. I really recommend the WKC videos because there are some fantastic dogs and handlers in there :)