D O L Suggestions For A Friend's Snorting/snoring Dog?

Friend is baffled, and worried ...

2 yr old terrier mix .. was very flat about a week ago .. vomited during the nite then later, seemed to have breathing probs and showed what almost looked like seizing ..just the once .

Taken to vet ... put on cortisone . for 4 days . heart/lungs etc all OK, apparently.

Since then she has started snoring , according to my friend ..and is not at all as energetic as previously . She apparently has some noisy breathing .. similar to reverse sneezing ...which seems to be more in her nose /head..not airways /lungs.

Saw vet again today .. and he has now suggested nasal mites.( No, I do not think a sample was taken )

:o I have never heard of these ... do they produce such symptoms ? ( I had perhaps thought a mite problem in nose would mean sneezing /itching , etc? )

Nasal mites sounds feasable, did the vet offer any treatment? Reverse sneezing is common with nasal mites, but it would be silly for the vet to suggest the dog had it without taking a swap to look at?

Persephone the vet checked our boy for nasal mites when he had similar symptoms but he actually had tonsillitis and the pus was what made him vomit. He was flat, not eating etc.

He did also have a lot of nasal discharge though which was what made the vet check for mites as it is apparently a common symptom. He looked up Alf's nose with a type of nasal scope though(sorry don't know the technical term), he didn't swab, but he did make a slide of the discharge to look under the microscope.He did say if it was mites we would need to treat both dogs as they can be transmitted from dog to dog. Luckily for us he checked Alf's throat at the same time.I would be asking for a further investigation in case he has something lodged in his nose causing an infection. Did he offer any treatment? Such a worry when you can't get an answer.

I'm not sure how the diagnosis was made ..

There is no discharge ..or coughing or anything obvious apart from being flat and the noisy breathing , apparently. No treatment was mentioned ..but I'll find out more tomorrow .

Thanks, folks :)

my first thought was a bit of vomit caught in the nasal cavity and has set up infection or problem there. Not being able to breathe normally would then explain other symptoms too.

:) Thank you folks .

As of last night , little dog is much improved ... only a very gentle snore , and activity levels are very good.

It seemed to not be lung related ..more in the nasal cavities .. odd, but apparently now almost non existent ... :whee: