Applaws Grain Free

So now Coles has come out with their grain-free dog food offering....in competition with Woolworths VIP Grain-free one.

We are now spoilt for choice, the ingredients and protein, fat etc. levels look good....and the price, well why would you buy the expensive ones now??

Unfortunately I recently bought a bag of Earthborn Hollistic which I haven't opened yet as I have been trialling the VIP and now the Applaws.

I feed so little dry dogfood so any brand I buy lasts a reasonable amount of time...I mainly feed BARF....but the lower cost for the drydogfood is much appreciated, the dogs love it and both foods are made in Australia. :thumbsup:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was wondering that! Applaws has been available here in the UK for a few years (very expensive) but the tinned food does look like real food and not just mush.

Got some kibble samples last year and the dogs enjoyed it (as they stole the 2 unopened sample bags! :laugh: )

The labels at Coles and the UK website look different. The protein levels are also different it said made with 50% real meat and the protein level was about 23%? It is a cheap aussie version under license?

The protein levels are also different it said made with 50% real meat and the protein level was about 23%?

That's what I saw as well on the packet when I looked at it the other day. I found it a bit misleading.

The protein levels are also different it said made with 50% real meat and the protein level was about 23%?

That's what I saw as well on the packet when I looked at it the other day. I found it a bit misleading.

50% meat doesn't = 50% protein. Meat isn't all protein matter. i.e. 100grams of chicken may only contain 30g of protein.

50% meat doesn't = 50% protein. Meat isn't all protein matter. i.e. 100grams of chicken may only contain 30g of protein.

I know but the way it was written made me think they meant 50% protein. I found it misleading. And it isn't 50% meat in my book when chicken and turkey meal were the first 2 ingredients.

Pack says Made in Australia and it was around $14 for 2kg. :thumbsup:

My lot haven't given it the taste test yet but if it tastes as good as the description reads it will be a winner!! :cheer:

I've used Applaws a few times when we've been away and I didn't want to ask our pet sitter to raw feed them. I think it's great, you open the tin and it looks like something humans could eat, there's chicken and veggies and a tiny bit of rice (some varieties are just chicken or tuna though) and the dogs did fine on it.

If I wasn't raw feeding, this is the food I would use all the time.

Pack says Made in Australia and it was around $14 for 2kg. :thumbsup:

My lot haven't given it the taste test yet but if it tastes as good as the description reads it will be a winner!! :cheer:

What are the ingredients Stitch - are they the same as the UK one?

I know but the way it was written made me think they meant 50% protein. I found it misleading. And it isn't 50% meat in my book when chicken and turkey meal were the first 2 ingredients.

Actually "meal" is a lot better than just "chicken" or "turkey" as meal doesn't include the moisture (which in meat makes up a good percentage). It's a lot more concentrated and if it's at the top of the list that's good. Chicken/turkey/whatever meat as the first ingredient is just a marketing trick to make it look more meaty -- dehydrate the meat and all of a sudden it falls a lot lower on the ingredient list.

To the actual topic; finally there's something half decent in supermarkets! The canned chicken-no-extra-bs didn't look too bad at all.

Edited by Hockz

It has way too much starch for my liking.

Top of the bag reads 50% protein, but it's 24% protein really...so a little bit misleading IMO. Also I would think that 1% salt is a little excessive. That is equivilent to 1 teaspoon of salt for every 99 teaspoons of other ingredients, but I may be misreading it. Also, can't see from the photo, but is it preservative, artificial colours & GMO free ????

Edited by sheena