Any Ragdoll Rescues?

Are you sure she will be ok with your children? They were very active and noisy when I met them and I honestly would be concerned that the hustle and bustle of active children will make her nervous.

I don't want of sound harsh, but I think you need to consider this a little more. Perhaps be prepared to look at seeking another home after a few weeks if it doesn't turn out? Ie think of her as a foster and don't get yourself attached or allow the children to get attached.

She looks very similar to my Miss Molly. Miss Molly always hid under the bed when young children, or loud men, were in my house and yet she wasn't an overly nervous puss.

Edited by ~Anne~

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ok Anne they are busy outside but they are very good at giving an animal space when needed. If you had met amber when she first arrived you would understand why we aren't worried. She was much more timid than this girl and we have completely turned her around.

Plus when you met them they had been stuck in the car for 2 hours and were anticipating a trip to the beach, it was all a bit overwhelming :laugh:

Edited by kelpiecuddles

She still tracked litter when I tried a clay based and the paper ones but now that I'm using the crystals it's only the odd little bit, barely enough to even warrant the dust pan.

Yes, after using other types of litter, I've found the crystals best all round. Economical, too. I get the Coles own brand.

I put the litter tray on a 'carpet' of newspaper & the stray bits just tend to go on there.

Yep :) They actually get shortages of it sometimes :laugh: It's a slightly bigger bag and it's about $1 cheaper.

Ah! Well this Scrooge McDuck will be heading for the KMart in the next suburb. :)

Guest Wildthing

I gave up using commercial cat litter years ago and now use Chicken Layer Pellets. Cost is around $19 for 25kgs, so very economical. I do cat rescue and I also have backyard chickens, so it does two things from one bag!! I have found there is only smell from solids that have just been done and the wet soft clumps.

Interesting! I'll have to remeber that if I run out of kitty litter. I pay $13 for 20kg of chook pellets so that would be pretty economical. I did try Max's litter once and wasn't happy with how wet it stayed though so couldn't see me using it all the time. Unfortunately being in my ensuite and all of about 5 metres away from where I sleep I'm just that little bit more picky about even the slightest smell than I would be if it was in laundry or similiar.

Just thought I'd share a little piccie here to show how far my Amber came. When she arrived she was terrified of people, about 6 weeks before I could even touch her. This is her today, watching TV with my daughter, excuse the crud quality as it was taken on my phone and the pile of washing in the background, I'm using a cold day to fold clothes :p

Just think that down the track this could be Ciara :)

post-6758-0-86823100-1369197271_thumb.jpg

The new cat will need her own space. Introducing cats needs to be taken very very slowly with the new cat being set up in her own room at first.

Not following careful and slow, slow, slow introductions can result in inappropriate piddling and spraying. Cats are very territorial, especially females, in my experience.

Some good tips here:

http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-articles/introducing-your-cat-to-a-new-cat

Oh yes, that's the plan. Not long ago Amber was the new cat, we lost our other older girl only about 12 months ago. Luckily Amber comes from a background at a breeders where she was living with lots of other cats so she is quite accepting of new faces, so any issues are more likely to come from Ciara's end ;) . I have a spare room which will be Ciara's space to start with, I also have a large outdoor run which she can spend some time in if she needs her own space at any stage.

Sorry peeps, slight delay on raggie pictures. Ciara's not feeling well so she's going to stay where she is until she's feeling a little bit better as the transport can't take her not well. Won't be long and she'll be here though and in the meantime she's getting plenty of love from MUP and the others at the vet :thumbsup:

I promise that as soon as we have ragdoll action here there will be pics forthcoming :D