Golden Retriever Puppy - Feeding Query

Kat70

weetabix is an old fashioned way of feeding pups. When i bought in a dog from a person who has been breed for decades, she was on weetabix for one meal, tinned for another meal, dry for another meal and either another weetabix or scrambled egg for supper. I gave her a few days to settle into the home and then stopped all the weetabix, tins etc and after using the breeders buscuits we swopped to another and better brand of kibble too.

Any puppies here get weaned onto fresh meat and supercoat puppy - they do very well on it indeed :)

I remember the weetbix and milk days ..... *imagine if you will , 12 OESD puppies + bowls of weetbix & milk .....* (shudders) ;)

Edited by persephone

Weetbix and puppy milk/formula is great for mixing up as semi-solids for the pups' first meals... while they are still getting plenty of the good stuff from mum. Teaches them the lap reflex and prepares them for solids. I wouldn't be still feeding it to a pup who can easily eat proper solids and isn't getting any backup nutrients from mum's milk though.

My Staffy/Dane pup had Royal Canin Junior up until she was 12 weeks old, then I switched her to Nutro Lamb and Rice Adult... she's doing great at 8.5 months, not grown too fast, structure is good, weight and tone is commented upon favourably by her vet, etc...

T.

hes being fed a lot..but alot of CRAP...what breeder in their right mind would start pups off on that??!! Im guessing it was not a registered one...

Anyhoo, agree with above, a premium diet will work wonders for the little guy and you will feed no where near as much as stated above as its all good stuff and you need less :)

All 3 of the breeders I got my dogs from had weetbix and milk on their diet sheet as breakfast. All 3 are registered breeders, all 3 different people.

2 also had pal down as lunch/dinner.

I am the one that did research and changed to a premium diet with no input from the breeders.

So we cant assume it wasnt a registered breeder that the OP purchased her dog from.

My mum used to soak arrowroot biscuits in milk to give a new puppy. Back in the day before dry dog food. Can't remember what they were fed after that. The only thing I do remember is he used to get Munchies for doing tricks or as a treat. The dog they had when I was born had horse meat from the pet shop.

When my son got his cross bred dog in 2000 we fed her Purina One, didn't have internet back then or know any different. The vet was pleased with her condition & said to keep doing what we were doing. She was later fed Advance large breed & BH.

With April & Tilba were pups I always followed the breeder's sheet until they were older.

I agree. I was wincing reading through what the breeder told you to feed. Lots of good advice here about gradually changing over to a more nutritious diet. Goodluck with your puppy.

Its usually the old farmers trying to feed and breed working dogs on the cheap that recommend the weet-bix and milk. Supercoat and Pedigree are, IMHO, crap. I would go for somerhing like Royal Canin or Eagle Pack largebreed puppy food with some good quality meat/ meaty bone chucked in. Ditch the cereal and dairy products for sure.