Just Curious

I would say its part of the new puppy listings issues with puppy farmers .

There was a topic about some time ago trying to address breeders who utilize this service for many litters but aren't active in anyway in a dog sports aspect

I would say its part of the new puppy listings issues with puppy farmers .

There was a topic about some time ago trying to address breeders who utilize this service for many litters but aren't active in anyway in a dog sports aspect

that makes sense. just thought it was a weird combination of breeds

but dont you have to be registered with the ankc as a reg breeder?

i guess theres still puppy farmers amongst us though...

Edited by puppy_dawgs

Many of those breeds have been listed on there for 2+ years now -

Some breeders were signing up with a new prefix time and time again (after being suspended by dogs vic / dogs nsw etc)

Troy then made it that people had to apply ( I assume so he could check them out first)

Many of those breeds have been listed on there for 2+ years now -

Some breeders were signing up with a new prefix time and time again (after being suspended by dogs vic / dogs nsw etc)

Troy then made it that people had to apply ( I assume so he could check them out first)

ive had my DO membership (breeder prefix listing etc not the forum) for years so never saw it.

that makes sense though, good on you Troy for doing something about it. wish other advertising mediums could have a similar policing system as it would become blatantly obvious who would fall into the puppy farmer category.

Might seem weird at first glance but look up something like the trading post and have a look through the dog listings, it will soon be clear.

i choose not to look at those sites as it makes my blood boil reading what people put up there for sale.

We know that most of these breeds are prone to BYB or puppy farms.

For example: A local near me has three staffy girls and one entire boy that she is breeding and has openly told friends she pays her rates and holidays from the proceeds. Apparently not VCA bred and she seems to always have pups. Council have only just got onto the fact she has over the allowed number of dogs she is now bitching about coping fines for not registering her dogs.... she is just one in the area - plenty more doing the same even within the same shire. We all get frustrated by these people and I am sure our Council Officers are equally frustrated and even tho the DPI is trying to introduce laws it probably just makes the whole thing more complicated.

Dogzonline as stated is Australia's pure breed dog community - a place where the public have access to information about pure bred dogs (as reliable as possible) - the best way to ensure this is to set some criteria - i.e Kennel Association Memberships and Prefix Registrations at least for a start..... after all this site is offering an opportunity to showcase our dogs as well as provide listings of breeders and litters available. The public (rightly or wrongly) sees this site as virtually recommending the breeders advertising here - It is important that the owners consider how they vet the membership.

It is great to see that there is someone watching over these adverts and the breeders listings.... when I first joined I didn't realise there was a need for a watchdog.... Even though I first joined the VCA back in 1979 and got my prefix in about 1983, there didn't seem to be much problem, in fact few pet shops even had pups and certainly not promoting them around xmas or valentines.

When I became re-involved in breeding over the last 6-7 years I have been a bit shocked by some of the issue of the breeds or breeders.... naive I suppose but having more involved and seen more behind the scenes which makes me wonder......

I would say it is because of the obvious abuse of the Dogzonline benefits by puppy farmers and backyard breeders I would say. Because of the "popularity" and sadly price tag of some of the puppies in these breeds, many people are seeing them as a quick way to make a buck or two without regard to temperament, health or type. Having to demonstrate proven track record by way of showing, obedience or other recognised activities shows that the breeder isn't just doing it for the puppies.

I have two of those breeds, being the French & British Bulldogs, but I have to confess to only having had "one" :eek: litter of Frenchy's in four years and am yet to have a litter of BB's, much to my disgust in getting it "just right" lol.

I'm not surprised when I read my May Gazette the other day, only to see that the litter registrations for French Bulldogs in January was a whopping 22 litters !!!, higher than Labs, Staffy's German Shepherds, Border Collies etc - I had to go a count them all for myself :eek:

I must get at least 3 or 4 emails per weeks asking if I have any French Bulldog pups available. I haven't had any for BB's but then I don't have a separate breeder listing for them on DOL so that might have something to do with it :confused: lol

Way to go Troy, these are a living, breathing animal that feel sadness, pain and emotions just like we do....not some status symbol that's currently in vogue, only to find itself on the "that's so 5 minutes ago" pile when the next fad arrives :cry: .