Is It Normal....?

Catarina

I know dogs gets excited whenever they see their owner, unlike cats but my puppy gets soooo overly excited when I come home that she:

* jumps on her kennel

* jumps off

* runs around me a few times

* runs around the backyard

* runs towards me then jumps on top of her kennel

She also doesn't listen when I tell her to sit/drop. She still shakes hands with me so that's a good thing.

The thing is, when my partner comes home, she's more behaved around him. Always sits next to him for a cuddle and if asked to sit, she'll sit.

It's another story for when I join them, she forgets about him and just focuses on me. My partner thinks that it's because she sees less of me, that's why she's always excited coz she missed me so much.

Question is.... is this normal? Is this a staffy thing? Is it a dog thing? (Former cat owner.)

My 2 can get excited if I leave a room & return in 2 mins...

Same.

When we get home Lili gallops around the yard three or four times, ball in mouth and bum wiggling madly.

Mosley bolts around like a maniac "woo-wooing" at us and giving his paw for a treat.

If you don't want her to do it just ignore her, I like watching my two go nuts though so don't stop them :laugh:

When she is like that are you also excited?? I found that when I used to visit my folks their papillons would go nuts when they saw me, and they would be like that as long as I was excited to, even if I didn't convey it overly outward, I did find however that if I calmly walked to a chair and sat down, feeling relaxed myself, they would usually stop with the frantic's and come and sit with me, usually wanting a cuddle or a hug and maybe a lick or two.

if you are in the habit of ignoring her until she settles, then she will stop the mad excitement and do as asked when you get in, if you are interacting with her as she acts mad, then this is reward enough to continue doing that!

Olivia does pug runs around the house when I come home and Boof whimpers and jumps all over me. Monte used to look at make woo woo sounds as he wobbled his bum and wriggled around my legs.

Like Aussie, I like watching their excitement too so I let them do it. In fact, they usually always make me laugh and laughing is a good thing.

do u do any of her training? if you dont then you should practise that with her. and i also think you should maybe ignore her for the first 10 mins or so when you get home until she is calm and offering calm behaviours

Olivia does pug runs around the house when I come home and Boof whimpers and jumps all over me. Monte used to look at make woo woo sounds as he wobbled his bum and wriggled around my legs.

Like Aussie, I like watching their excitement too so I let them do it. In fact, they usually always make me laugh and laughing is a good thing.

Yep, I let mine do it as they aren't hurting anyone and it's cute.

Boston has to lick my finger to make sure I'm REALLY there and he's not dreaming, and Max has to run up and say hi quickly then run off and get a toy to show me, then run around me in circles with her toy but but won't actually let me have the toy :laugh:

I always think of this (old) piece when I read about dogs greeting their owners...

The Welcome

Author unknown

Read it fast to yourself, and picture the scene…

I hear it! I hear the car! HER car! And she’s coming this way! Oh, oh, I must run in and grab a gift! I must greet her with a gift! Oh, ‘BONK’ missed the step. No matter, I must hurry. Move over, doggy door! She’s coming, she’s coming! Gift, gift, where, what, oh, oh, oh, ah! A plastic bottle she drinks from, right here on top of the container they call trash! Oh, perfect. She’s coming, she’s coming! Oh, oh, oh…the door! I hear the door sound that sounds right before she comes in! Oh, it’s OPENING! SHE’S HOME! Oh, oh, ‘wiggle, wiggle, wiggle’ I cannot be still! You’re home! And look, look, I have this nice bottle! Oh, oh, you’re home, YOU’RE HOME! I have missed you so much, you’ve been gone hours, weeks, days, years! And so much has happened! A dog ran by and I chewed a tree and Pluto slept under the house and it rained a little! Oh, oh, oh! You’re home, you’re home! And you’re touching me! I can’t stand it, it’s so marvellous! Oh, and you’re speaking! “Murble, murble, good boy, murble, murble.” YES! Your happy voice. Oh, I’m about to burst! I’m so happy, happy, happy! Yes! I want to jump! I’m not supposed to jump, but oh, oh, just a little jump! “Off.” Darn. Oh, I cannot be still. I’ll roll over and wiggle on my back! Oh, yes! She’s rubbing me – my tummy, my head, my sides! Oh, oh, oh! Now what? Now where’s she going? Oh, oh, yes! Back to the room where we sleep at night! Great! It has the big pad we sleep on and ‘L-E-A-P’ I can get up here close to her. And here she comes! Oh, oh, oh! I can stand on my legs and put my paws around her neck and – uh oh! Can’t lick with this bottle in my mouth. But it’s my present to her! Oh, oh, what to do? And she’s rubbing me! But I want to lick her, oh, oh, I think I’m about to burst! “Off.” Oh, darn. Drop the bottle. Oh, YES! She’s coming back! She took off the pieces she puts on her eyes and I can stand and ‘lick, lick’ I love you, I love you, I love you, I love ‘lick, lick, lick’ you taste so good, sweet, I love that stuff you smear on your face every day. I love to lick it off, oh, oh, and you’re rubbing me again! My back, my head, my ears, oh, oh ‘lick, lick, lick’. “Murble, murble, good boy, murble, murble.” “Off.” Darn. I will lay here and watch her. Watch her peel her fur – it’s not very warm fur, I don’t think. How does she do that? And I will get that look on my face that always makes her come and rub me. The look where I roll my eyes up, and keep my head flat here and she will come…and she’s putting on her play skin! YES! We will play – sometime. I cannot be still. I am SO happy, happy, happy. Now she’s going in the room with the wonderful water bowl! I LOVE that water bowl – always cool, clean water! She’ll be out in just a minute, just a minute, just a…..yes, she’s coming! She’s here again. Oh, oh, oh…..now back to the room with the box that has pictures and sounds. Ah, I know what happens now. Yep, she’s laying down on the big pad there. Now she’ll sleep. But that’s okay. She’s HOME! SHE’S home. She’s home. And she smells tired. So I will lay beside her here and guard her and wait while she sleeps. And when she wakes up she won’t smell so tired. And we’ll play and play. S-i-g-h. I’ll just rest with her now, and smell her while she sleeps. And wasit again. For, the next thing that happens, and then, oh, oh, zzzzzzzzz…..

I always think of this (old) piece when I read about dogs greeting their owners...

The Welcome

Author unknown

Read it fast to yourself, and picture the scene…

I hear it! I hear the car! HER car! And she’s coming this way! Oh, oh, I must run in and grab a gift! I must greet her with a gift! Oh, ‘BONK’ missed the step. No matter, I must hurry. Move over, doggy door! She’s coming, she’s coming! Gift, gift, where, what, oh, oh, oh, ah! A plastic bottle she drinks from, right here on top of the container they call trash! Oh, perfect. She’s coming, she’s coming! Oh, oh, oh…the door! I hear the door sound that sounds right before she comes in! Oh, it’s OPENING! SHE’S HOME! Oh, oh, ‘wiggle, wiggle, wiggle’ I cannot be still! You’re home! And look, look, I have this nice bottle! Oh, oh, you’re home, YOU’RE HOME! I have missed you so much, you’ve been gone hours, weeks, days, years! And so much has happened! A dog ran by and I chewed a tree and Pluto slept under the house and it rained a little! Oh, oh, oh! You’re home, you’re home! And you’re touching me! I can’t stand it, it’s so marvellous! Oh, and you’re speaking! “Murble, murble, good boy, murble, murble.” YES! Your happy voice. Oh, I’m about to burst! I’m so happy, happy, happy! Yes! I want to jump! I’m not supposed to jump, but oh, oh, just a little jump! “Off.” Darn. Oh, I cannot be still. I’ll roll over and wiggle on my back! Oh, yes! She’s rubbing me – my tummy, my head, my sides! Oh, oh, oh! Now what? Now where’s she going? Oh, oh, yes! Back to the room where we sleep at night! Great! It has the big pad we sleep on and ‘L-E-A-P’ I can get up here close to her. And here she comes! Oh, oh, oh! I can stand on my legs and put my paws around her neck and – uh oh! Can’t lick with this bottle in my mouth. But it’s my present to her! Oh, oh, what to do? And she’s rubbing me! But I want to lick her, oh, oh, I think I’m about to burst! “Off.” Oh, darn. Drop the bottle. Oh, YES! She’s coming back! She took off the pieces she puts on her eyes and I can stand and ‘lick, lick’ I love you, I love you, I love you, I love ‘lick, lick, lick’ you taste so good, sweet, I love that stuff you smear on your face every day. I love to lick it off, oh, oh, and you’re rubbing me again! My back, my head, my ears, oh, oh ‘lick, lick, lick’. “Murble, murble, good boy, murble, murble.” “Off.” Darn. I will lay here and watch her. Watch her peel her fur – it’s not very warm fur, I don’t think. How does she do that? And I will get that look on my face that always makes her come and rub me. The look where I roll my eyes up, and keep my head flat here and she will come…and she’s putting on her play skin! YES! We will play – sometime. I cannot be still. I am SO happy, happy, happy. Now she’s going in the room with the wonderful water bowl! I LOVE that water bowl – always cool, clean water! She’ll be out in just a minute, just a minute, just a…..yes, she’s coming! She’s here again. Oh, oh, oh…..now back to the room with the box that has pictures and sounds. Ah, I know what happens now. Yep, she’s laying down on the big pad there. Now she’ll sleep. But that’s okay. She’s HOME! SHE’S home. She’s home. And she smells tired. So I will lay beside her here and guard her and wait while she sleeps. And when she wakes up she won’t smell so tired. And we’ll play and play. S-i-g-h. I’ll just rest with her now, and smell her while she sleeps. And wasit again. For, the next thing that happens, and then, oh, oh, zzzzzzzzz…..

Love it... :thumbsup:

I know how you feel...my girl absolutely adores me...not sure where the adoration comes from, but I can sometimes be sitting watching television and I'll look down the side of my chair and she's staring up at me with adoration written across her face...sometimes it's a little confronting and a little overpowering, but I never dissuade her as there's very few people in this world who view me as she does...guess I've got to enjoy it while I have it!