How Old Is Too Old For A Female To Have A Litter?

lionqueen

Hi all,

Just wondering what the general consensus is regarding an acceptable age for a bitch to have a litter. What is considered "too old". Does it depend on her health, previous amount of litters etc?

Thanks in advance

There is a minimum age for first breeding however don't think there is actually an upper age limit given...

I believe that if a bitch is to have more than 6 or 7 litters (can't remember which) then you have to have inspected by a vet prior to mating.

There are a number of factors to be considered as to when to stop breeding for example: How many pups in each litter? How long between litters? What is the breed? How fit is the bitch kept?

One of my bitches has just had her final litter at the age of 7.5 years. This was only her fourth litter and she is very fit... when we took her to the vet clinic for AI they thought it was her first litter she looks so fit and strong.

depends on the breed and how the bitch has been cared for. Nature determines when they are too old

It does depend on the breed & the individual dog however nature can be an idiot.

Someone enquiring for a puppy a few months ago asked the age of my mum to be. The reason was they were shocked after a call to someone else to be told the mother of expected pups was 12 :eek: Pregnancy is too much of a burden on a dog that age IMO.

6 is the oldest I have bred from however a little older seems acceptable as my breed often lives to 15 or more. With mine I prefer to breed a few litters when they are younger rather than leave many years between & then desex them.

Proposed legislation for some states of limits of 10 years for a female & 6 years for a male seem stupid & doesn't make any sense, the other way round would be better & make more sense.

Proposed legislation for some states of limits of 10 years for a female & 6 years for a male seem stupid & doesn't make any sense, the other way round would be better & make more sense.

that's only for small dogs, for my breed it is 5 for a bitch

Hi all,

Just wondering what the general consensus is regarding an acceptable age for a bitch to have a litter. What is considered "too old". Does it depend on her health, previous amount of litters etc?

Thanks in advance

Are you talking about a first litter for this bitch? If a bitch has previously whelped I feel they can have further litters at an older age than a maiden Depends on the breed too

Back in the dark ages where no one was telling us how old a bitch should be before she shouldn't have a litter it was nothing for bitches to be mated and have wonderful healthy lives and superb litters well into their teens and every sign showed they thrived on it.

There isnt any science to say they should stop at any given age or time in their lives and in all honesty unless you have actually had a bitch that whelped in her teens how can you assume its too hard on them? So much is dependent on breed and its about her health not her age.

Back in the dark ages where no one was telling us how old a bitch should be before she shouldn't have a litter it was nothing for bitches to be mated and have wonderful healthy lives and superb litters well into their teens and every sign showed they thrived on it.

There isnt any science to say they should stop at any given age or time in their lives and in all honesty unless you have actually had a bitch that whelped in her teens how can you assume its too hard on them? So much is dependent on breed and its about her health not her age.

you'd be crucified for doing it now, regardless of the bitch being up to it or not.

Of course there's no science, it's pen pushers and animal lib drawing the lines in the sand these days, regardless of them being wrong. But hey, they have to protect the dogs from the puppy farmers some how

you'd be crucified for doing it now, regardless of the bitch being up to it or not.

Of course there's no science, it's pen pushers and animal lib drawing the lines in the sand these days, regardless of them being wrong. But hey, they have to protect the dogs from the puppy farmers some how

Indeed. Progress.

I have seen lab bitches fit & healthy whelping into double figures

Exercising, running alongside horses, hardly noticing their pregnancy :)

Those were the days.

In my breed, 6 to 7 seems to be the 'norm' for bitches to have their final litter. From personal experience (and i've only had 7 litters), i agree with this as i've had friends (also same breed) who have mated older bitches and had a lot of issues - could just be coincidence but 6 or 7 years is enough for me.

I have not long had a litter from my oldest girl - she will be 9 in September - however she is fit as a fiddle, can run and play all day. This is her second and last litter, she is a great mum and bounces back easily. I always say she is 8 going on 2! LOL

8 is quite common in my breed for a last litter, with 9 not uncommon and even a few 10 year olds known to have whelped with no problems. All of these bitches would have already had at least one litter easily before. I know of several who have not had their first litter until 6 years but most prefer to breed the first litter between 2 and 5 years. Back when I started in dogs, breeding 12-18 month old bitches was common for a first litter and males were usually used for the first time between 8-10 months. Fertility problems were rare back then. Our breed clubs imposed a recommended age of 2 years for breeding either sex to try to eliminate breeding from dogs affected with the fatal hereditary condition CL, that doesn't show up until 16 -20 months. We now have a DNA test to avoid the condition but somehow the mindset of never breeding under 2 years has endured. We have a club COE that requires hip and elbow scoring so no matings until that is done after 12 months with bitches recommended to be 18 months for maturity.

The proposed ages in Vic are ridiculous. Who the hell came up with 6 years for a male and why? In a breed that doesn't often mature before 4-6 years and therefore get looked at seriously as a stud prospect it makes no sense at all. I know of many 12 year old males who have been used successfully and even a few 14 year olds.

Thanks everyone!

I am just looking to the future really...

My girl has had two healthy litters, she had her first litter at 5 years, and the second one in March at 7 years.

I am just debating whether it would be viable for one last litter next year or not. She is a very fit and active girl, so I guess it would be worth getting my veterinarians opinion.

My breed is known for having litters later in life - 6 to 10 years or so and interestingly there are historical anecdotal stories about well known brood bitches (famous in old pedigrees) who 'refused' to go into whelp until 6 or older.

I know of a recent years 'oops' litter overseas too (which produced some truly wonderful dogs) where the bitch was 11 if memory serves me right and every attempt to get her in whelp prior to that age had failed. Both bitch and pups strong and healthy.

In general I would probably say 8 years on average is a good age for a last litter in my breed, but I really hate the idea of arbitrary limits.