Dog Attack Ashcroft Today

Rozzie

Three dogs that viciously attacked a jogger in Sydney's southwest should be killed

The dogs attacked the man, 49, while he was jogging at Ashcroft about 2pm Sunday.

The victim was left with deep lacerations after he was bitten on the arm, under the arm and on the chest.

He's currently in Liverpool Hospital getting treatment.

Another man, 54, who assisted the 49-year-old was also taken to hospital with a hand wound.

The dogs were collected by council rangers.

Police said in a statement that they would be "making an application for the dogs to be destroyed".

An eye-witness to the attack told the Seven Network that the dogs were pitbulls.

Police are yet to identify the breeds of the dogs involve

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Three dogs that viciously attacked a jogger in Sydney's southwest should be killed

The dogs attacked the man, 49, while he was jogging at Ashcroft about 2pm Sunday.

The victim was left with deep lacerations after he was bitten on the arm, under the arm and on the chest.

He's currently in Liverpool Hospital getting treatment.

Another man, 54, who assisted the 49-year-old was also taken to hospital with a hand wound.

The dogs were collected by council rangers.

Police said in a statement that they would be "making an application for the dogs to be destroyed".

An eye-witness to the attack told the Seven Network that the dogs were pitbulls.

Police are yet to identify the breeds of the dogs involve

What is with all the links to previous dog attacks???

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/latest_releases?sq_content_src=%2BdXJsPWh0dHBzJTNBJTJGJTJGd3d3LmViaXoucG9saWNlLm5zdy5nb3YuYXUlMkZtZWRpYSUyRjMwNDg2Lmh0bWwmYWxsPTE%3D

If these are the dogs I saw on the news they are NOT freaking pit bulls. They look like some type of American bulldog cross. I am so over these "witnesses" calling any attacking dog a pit bull.

Edited by Aussie3

If these are the dogs I saw on the news they are NOT freaking pit bulls. They look like some type of American bulldog cross. I am so over these "witnesses" calling any attacking dog a pit bull.

I said exactly the same thing to my OH when it was on the news. He said something about pitbulls and I promptly showed him the "pick the pitbull" page. I don't like bull breeds at all (just don't like the look), but I will educate everyone around me NOT to propagate breed specific hate.

I just saw the news link and I would agree in this instance because they got out and attacked someone they probably do need to be destroyed......the owners are at fault here for not restraining their dogs and on the link if it was one of the dogs it didnt look too friendly unfortunately.....again humans have probably made the dogs as they are which is a real shame :(

Whether you agree or not - the public have a perception of what a pit bull type is - that dog on the tape fits that criteria in the public eye....

Perhaps looks more like a Dogo Argentino.... which by the way is banned in australia..... so often when people do have a Dogo they call them other things.....

I think what the general public mean when they say "pit bull" they mean a bully breed - doesn't matter if it is a cross or a purebred bull breed. To Joe Public a pit bull may be a stafford, amstaff, bulldog, pit bull, aussie bulldog, american bulldog etc or a cross of these breeds and those types dominate the stats in these horrific attacks. And to some people a pit bull is a type of dog. Even regarded dog people sometimes cannot always pick a 'pit bull' from amstaffs or their crosses.

I hope the two people involved heal quickly and the dogs are destroyed and the owner is punished severely.

What is with all the links to previous dog attacks???

http://www.police.ns...0bWwmYWxsPTE%3D

So shoot me, they were attached to the article as related links. Complain to MSN.

I didn't understand the intent or realise that it was attached from a news page which is why I asked. It seemed strange that there was no link to the actual article and several to different incidents, hence I attached the only link I could find.

No need to be so defensive.

Those poor men, how terrifying for them.

Why do people find it so hard to contain their dogs?? No doubt there'll be a call for tougher laws now, when all we really need is our current ones enforced better :/

Why do people find it so hard to contain their dogs?? No doubt there'll be a call for tougher laws now, when all we really need is our current ones enforced better :/

Why do people find it so hard to drive on the road without having accidents?

While I agree the dogs should not have been on the street, the issue I have with joggers is their arrogance in putting themselves in greater danger by continuing to run past a dog despite it being common knowledge that running stimulates a dog's prey instinct.

Sure people have a right to jog along a public road, just as they have a right to swim at a public beach or drive along a public road. But is it wise to continue to swim if a shark is sighted, or drive through a flooded causeway?

How hard is it for a runner to stop and walk past a loose dog?

While I agree the dogs should not have been on the street, the issue I have with joggers is their arrogance in putting themselves in greater danger by continuing to run past a dog despite it being common knowledge that running stimulates a dog's prey instinct.

Sure people have a right to jog along a public road, just as they have a right to swim at a public beach or drive along a public road. But is it wise to continue to swim if a shark is sighted, or drive through a flooded causeway?

You either have first hand knowledge of what happened in this incident or you are making some pretty huge assumptions and victim blaming.

Unless you know something that is not mentioned in the news, you have no idea how this occurred. The jogger may not have even seen the dogs, or rounded a corner and startled them (and himself). They could have been down an alleyway that he ran past, or in someone's front yard unnoticed by him.

Calling a dog attack victim arrogant for going about his business is pretty extreme and very bad form.

Edited by Pailin

From what i can see on the footage this happened on a suburban street outside houses, the jogger quite possibly didn't even see the dogs if they rushed out of a yard or similiar. We aren't talking about dogs loose on a footy oval or whatever where there is high visibility.

Bloody dogs shouldn't be out loose on the street at all.

Stop trying to blame the jogger.

Why do some people have so much trouble believing there are bad dogs out there that can and do attack innocent people?

Edited by Rebanne

What an appalling post. Have you noticed that not everyone in the world owns a dog. Not everyone is an expert on dog behaviour - even if they own a dog?

How dare you blame this person for being attacked by 3 very aggressive, out of control dogs.

The owner of these dogs is to blame for not containing them properly.

I doubt that the jogger entered the property and jogged around the garden to see if they'd bite him? What fun!

If he didn't enter the garden and jog around it, guess who is to blame? The owner. They deserve massive fines, prison time and the dogs need putting to sleep.

Doesn't matter what breed they are. They are dangerous dogs and should be dealt with accordingly,as should the owner.

Doesn't matter what breed they are. They are dangerous dogs and should be dealt with accordingly,as should the owner.

No one's disputing that, but in the bigger picture it matters a lot that the media are calling them the wrong breed.

I would like to see the dogs kept and a real dog behaviourist brought in ,and all the details about the dogs, where they were kept etc everything detailed.

we won't stop attacks by just siezing dogs and pts, without knowing why it happens. :(