Dog Attack Ashcroft Today

Rozzie

Does the fault also lie with the owner who pts's the dog because they cannot modify the dog's behaviour sufficiently to make it an animal they can live with?Temperament defects occur in all breeds. But it is much more common for some breeds to be euth'd for behavioral reasons than others. I think we need to blame breeders as much as owners...and support subsidized Spey/neuter programs.

I am of very strong belief that breeders be it registered breeders or BYB's need to be scrutinised and held accountable for their reproductions. I am really tired of the fact the breeding of dogs is a complete free for all, breed what you want when you want, personally, I would like to see it as an offence to breed dogs without a licence with the introduction of a BSL....."breeder specific legislation"

It is not, and has never been a "free for all" for registered breeders.

Registered/show breeders face amazingly few restrictions with relation to temperament. I would have no problem registering a Labrador that is gun shy, hates water, and is dog aggressive. Such a dog could even be titled, provided that the DA can be curbed in the ring. However a cosmetic fault, such as light eye colour (which. btw, gives the dog better night vision) seriously affects results of competition in the ring.

Sadly some show breeders are worse offenders at messing up temperament for the sake of the potential ribbon. Funny the amount of Golden Retreivers of late with severe fear of thunder and fireworks........years ago a gun dog was bullet proof to such a noise........not anymore, so who is breeding gun shy gun dogs??

As for food agression, good grief, a neighbours golden would attack anyone who picked up even one of his left over bones to put it in the bin. Mavellous temprement selection by his breeder if thats anything to go by.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How the hell did this become yet another breed/breeder bashing thread?? It seems some people can't find a good word to say about any breed. :(

Some agendas never change. The boot is going into gundogs now?? Oh sorry, just bench lines. Again.

Why must such discussions degenerate into people looking down their noses at something other than their own chosen dogs?

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I think Ive realised the solution, well for me anyway.

Stay off the streets, if you dont put yourself out there to get hurt, no headlines, no innocent breed in trouble because of you, no breed bashing. Problem solved.

Edited by inez

Stay off the streets, if you dont put yourself out there to get hurt, no headlines, no innocent breed in trouble because of you, no breed bashing. Problem solved.

Great. Sounds good.

Great. Sounds good.

Agree. :thumbsup:

1370779503[/url]' post='6223018']

How the hell did this become yet another breed/breeder bashing thread?? It seems some people can't find a good word to say about any breed. :(

Some agendas never change. The boot is going into gundogs now?? Oh sorry, just bench lines. Again.

Why must such discussions degenerate into people looking down their noses at something other than their own chosen dogs?

The cause of dog attacks, ultimately, is a combination of dog temperament and dog management, plus other factors such as health, child management, and bad luck. There is a large hereditary component to temperament. It is hardly breeder bashing to say that breeders are, to an extent, responsible for turning out pups with antisocial temperament and placing them with people who are likely to manage them poorly. I used Labbies as an example to AVOID breed bashing. They are my chosen breed. They also happen to be a good example of the fact that pedigree breeders are not held to the temperament of their breed standard...despite your assertion that "it has never been a free for all for registered breeders". Nobody is saying that breeders are the whole problem. But breeders are in a position to do their bit to reverse the dog attack problem through being more mindful of temperament and more careful about where they place pups.I would love to see the authorities make an attempt to work out the origins of problem dogs. And if some breeders, registered or otherwise, seem to be behind a string of problem attack dogs, then those breeders need to be held to account.

1370779503[/url]' post='6223018']

The cause of dog attacks, ultimately, is a combination of dog temperament and dog management, plus other factors such as health, child management, and bad luck. There is a large hereditary component to temperament. It is hardly breeder bashing to say that breeders are, to an extent, responsible for turning out pups with antisocial temperament and placing them with people who are likely to manage them poorly. I used Labbies as an example to AVOID breed bashing. They are my chosen breed. They also happen to be a good example of the fact that pedigree breeders are not held to the temperament of their breed standard...despite your assertion that "it has never been a free for all for registered breeders". Nobody is saying that breeders are the whole problem. But breeders are in a position to do their bit to reverse the dog attack problem through being more mindful of temperament and more careful about where they place pups.I would love to see the authorities make an attempt to work out the origins of problem dogs. And if some breeders, registered or otherwise, seem to be behind a string of problem attack dogs, then those breeders need to be held to account.

Since I susect 90% if not more of these creatures that get themselves in the headlines cannot be traced to any ANKC breeder even in the first 3 generation if at all ever. The three who took down the jogger are not even a recognised breed in this country. So who is going to cop the rap for breeding them?

Faceless, namless Joe public.

Edited by inez

• 1 month later...

It's sickening to imagine the ordeal that poor man went through :cry:

I am wondering if the dogs had some form of backyard protection training as they had so much arm focus, all three bit the man's arms which is unusual for an untrained attack to bite just arms unless they had been worked on arms/sleeves and learned what to target?