Dog Attack Ashcroft Today

Rozzie

Surely finding out why it happens would make no difference to whether these dogs would be put to sleep.

That is not being said. A couple of posters have suggested that experts be brought in to examine the dogs, where they lived, what sort of environment (physical and emotional) that they lived in, and then do autopsies on the dogs.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its saying the owner says they are Amstaffs, look more like bulldog mix to me, and they will be pts today or tommorrow.

Why can't they hold them till they can do some research into why it happened, then pts, it makes no sense to me to just keep killing dogs without finding out why it happens.

Amstaff seems to be the new "unidentified bull type breed", especially in Victoria.

I'm just going on a hunch... And from experience I know exactly what will happen next.. Nothing. No investigation, the dogs with be PTS ASAP and nobody will hear about this ever again except in a context that lays more shit on the alleged breeds involved.

I've skimmed through comments on many of the articles and all you get is the usual "but pitbulls are not bad if you raise them right!" and the other extreme "these dogs are monsters and need to be eradicated!". The odd comment saying they are not actually this or that breed and the owner should be punished definitely crop up now and again, but I have not seen many comments asking "why?" at all.

I have a poor opinion of the public as they let themselves be whipped into a fear induced frenzy every time the media runs a story like this. Where do you think BSL came from? People demanding answers? Heck no, people demanding some sort of knee jerk reaction that makes them feel safe (even if it is completely useless at actually making them safe)

It's no different than calls for stricter gun laws every time an unregistered firearm is used in a crime... Last time I looked idiots who do these things don't follow the laws anyways but try to explain this to Joe Bloe and see what kind of reaction you get

Edited by BlackJaq

I feel sorry for the poor staff at Renbury who are going to have to hold these dogs as they are euthed...

From the footage shown of their seizure, they don't all look to be completely vicious snarling beasts... dog only knows what made them decide to attack like they did.

I think that the owner needs to be punished in some way that will make them understand the responsibilities that come with dog ownership. The dogs themselves shouldn't be the only ones paying for the attack.

Odds are the owner will get a slap on the wrist, and if unlucky, banned from owning dogs for a short while... *sigh*

T.

If these are the dogs I saw on the news they are NOT freaking pit bulls. They look like some type of American bulldog cross. I am so over these "witnesses" calling any attacking dog a pit bull.

I said exactly the same thing to my OH when it was on the news. He said something about pitbulls and I promptly showed him the "pick the pitbull" page. I don't like bull breeds at all (just don't like the look), but I will educate everyone around me NOT to propagate breed specific hate.

I thought exactly the same thing when seeing it on ch 9.

I think that the idea of them not reporting other attacks is a croc. Of course they all get reported! If a dog bite comes into a hospital details are taken. Local media always reports these things.. The larger media only gets involved if there is a public attack as this one was involving several people & ambulance attendance/and or a death/near death is the result. Unfortunately by weight a HA bull breed (and if more than one dog is involved) will likely do more damage than a HA chihuahua. I believe this to be the difference, though conspiracy theory's will always be raised. When a infant child was killed by a fox terrier it made the news as well...didn't see all the fox terrier people cry conspiracy.

Edited by redangel

From the footage shown of their seizure, they don't all look to be completely vicious snarling beasts... dog only knows what made them decide to attack like they did.

I think that the owner needs to be punished in some way that will make them understand the responsibilities that come with dog ownership. The dogs themselves shouldn't be the only ones paying for the attack.

Frankly, they look really beautiful dogs :cry: .

The Crown needs to bite the bullet and throw everything possible at the owner.

Now, according to the media, the dogs are American Staffords *facepalm* .

Dogs change breed now! :eek:

Give it a rest. Think of the poor victim.

Guest donatella

Sadly everyone will focus on the breed rather than the deed & what circumstances led to it. :(

Exactly! Goodness me, Joe Blo doesn't know the exact difference between a bull breed, all they know is that it was a bull breed, pitt bull, staffy whatever they want to call it at the time. It's not going to change the public or medias opinion, unfortunately bull breeds are the danger dogs of the decade (I do remember it were Rotti's and Dobes targeted when I was younger).

Edited by donatella

I have just seen the dogs on the news. They were three very powerful dogs. I don't care what breed they were. Fortunately it wasn't a child they chose to attack. That poor guy!! I hope the people who helped him receive bravery awards.

Surely finding out why it happens would make no difference to whether these dogs would be put to sleep.

That is not being said. A couple of posters have suggested that experts be brought in to examine the dogs, where they lived, what sort of environment (physical and emotional) that they lived in, and then do autopsies on the dogs.

Experts might be involved. I certainly know that one at least was involved in the Ayen Chol case. Don't think it was reported on the TV but I work with her hubby.

I grew up in Ashcroft and was over there at the time but not close by,unfortunately the roaming dog problem there has got bad over the last few years.My mother and her dogs have been attacked 3 times, her dog twice and herself another time.in the end she had to stop walking her dog as it was just too risky and also destroyed her trust in dogs,she has developed a bull breed phobia which is unfortunate as I own a SBT and a Boxer,there were always similar problems earlier on but the sad thing now is that a large % of the residents now are elderly and couldn't defend themselves in the event of an attack,I just hope the responsible owners aren't harrassed over this

Doesn't help anything that you have some idiot on the project saying that if they could kill all American staffies it would be ideal. Because people aren't prejudiced enough.

my heart goes out to that poor man though. What a horrific ordeal to endure :-(

Now, according to the media, the dogs are American Staffords *facepalm* .

Dogs change breed now! :eek:

Give it a rest. Think of the poor victim.

Well that is a charming response. But cheers for reading and acknowledging it all the same.

This would have to be one of the most horrific attacks I have heard of for a while and the thought of what that poor jogger and those who helped him would have gone through is just sickening...

I can't believe for one minute that anyone would even think to put the blame on a jogger - blame should be entirely on those who owned the dogs and failed to keep them secure and the dogs themselves.

What sort of dog(s) would cause such unprovoked injuries - I hope to god I never ever come across an animal like those when I leave my front door, everyone has the right to feel safe in public - and at home..

Lets not forget the severity of the injuries those dogs caused...the owners should be in deep shit over this..

As an owner of large breed dogs, if I thought for one minute my dogs would do such a thing to someone simply going for a jog they would have been dead long ago - hard to get the thought of those injuries out of my head.

Dog laws will tighten while we have dead beats ruining it for everyone :mad .

Edited by Andisa

I would like to ask "how many of the above posters have ever received an intentional-bite from a large breed dog??".

The reason I ask is that until you have, you would have no idea of the damage that can be inflicted with just one bite, let alone a sustained attack. A nip during training or a puppy bite that can draw blood is NOTHING compared to an intentioned bite.

I know this as I broke up a fight between my daughter's GSD and my own GSD - the bite was meant for my dog but unfortunately got my hand in a full pressure bite instead. After an operation, six days in hospital and to date six months of physio, the nerve damage is still there and will possibly take 12 mths or more to mend.

The thought of a sustained attack on anyone by any large breed dog, let alone three, makes me go cold!

Irrespective of breed, the dogs that attacked this man (and the person that came to his aid) have no place in our society.

My utmost sympathy goes out to the jogger - his physical injuries sound horrific, let's not forget the mental ones that will be there as well.

Absolutely utmost sympathy should go to the jogger. He's lucky to be alive. I have just created another thread about an elderly gentleman whose neighbour's 2 Staffy crosses burst through the fence and killed him. That's horrific and so is this. It simply shouldn't happen.

We should all have the right to be able to go into a public area, be it a street or park and not be attacked.

That is just horrific.

I think euthanising the dogs immediately was the right call.

Personally I'd support a change in the legislation so owners of dogs who caused serious injury or death when on public property were charged with manslaughter or similar level charges. A maximum of 2 years in jail in this case doesn't cut it.