Conflicting Hobbies

biker girl

As you may guess by my user name, I ride motorbikes and have done for over 25yrs now biggrin.gif

They are one of my passions and are also a lifestyle choice.

My other passion is dogs.......3 sheppies and my husband's kelpie X, which we do showing, agility and obedience, they also are a lifestyle choice too biggrin.gif

Yesterday I was unable to compete in a rally trial, so I choose to take my bike out and just sit and watch my friends compete.

On the way home I was thinking about how two of my passions in life clash with each other as I can not combine both at the same time, that or I get my husband to design a sidecar for my bike rofl1.gif

What hobbies do you find clash with your other hobbies??????????

I'm similiar, i'm a botanist by my original training and a keen hiker/bushwalker but also love my dogs. Obbiously i can't take them with me in to national parks(despite the fact that they are probably less likely to impact on anything that the average overseas tourist) so i have to get them cared for if i want to go hiking in a national park.

I wanted to do obedience with one of my pugs, with the view of moving into agility at some stage, but every single club in my area has training Wednesday and/or Sunday... both days just happen to be days I have dragon boat training. I love my dogs, but I don't give up dragon boat training for anything.

I go snowboarding regularly over winter, no puppies allowed. I would love to take Marlo to the snow but that would mean no boarding! Can't go to the snow and not snowboard. We are going snowboarding in NZ this July for 2 weeks so Marlo is staying with friends.

We race 4wds (as well as just going out for social drives/camping). Obviously the racing environment is not the best place for a dog. You would think that the camping part would be great for a dog and owner, but when you are owned by someone as delicate as prince Diesel-he who shall not sleep on dirt and gets scared and does nervous wees when the roads get a bit rough, not so much. Safe to say the kennels make a fortune out of us.

My little sister races bikes, she has no time for other hobbies at all :p

My only non-dog hobby is raving, but I only go to raves in Aussie so only once or twice a year, so it doesn't make me miss much. The dog hobbies all clash though!

This thread reminds me of the time I pulled up at the lights behind a big leather clad tattooed bearded bikie on a massive loud Harley.....wearing a bum bag with a teeny lil Pomeranian merrily poking his head out :laugh:

This thread reminds me of the time I pulled up at the lights behind a big leather clad tattooed bearded bikie on a massive loud Harley.....wearing a bum bag with a teeny lil Pomeranian merrily poking his head out :laugh:

Sounds exactly like my friend, except he wears his Westie in a harness on his back! :laugh:

My little sister races bikes, she has no time for other hobbies at all :p

My only non-dog hobby is raving, but I only go to raves in Aussie so only once or twice a year, so it doesn't make me miss much. The dog hobbies all clash though!

My partner is big on Bush Doofs, he has taken his tough little blue heeler to some of the smaller ones. She doesn't care about the music one bit and loves all the cuddles she gets from everyone! When she gets sick of it she lets him know and she goes straight to sleep in the car/his camp.

My partner is big on Bush Doofs, he has taken his tough little blue heeler to some of the smaller ones. She doesn't care about the music one bit and loves all the cuddles she gets from everyone! When she gets sick of it she lets him know and she goes straight to sleep in the car/his camp.

Elsie has been to a couple, I like having her sleep in the tent with me... And she enjoys when mummy crawls into the tent at 5am and goes "HEY let's go looking for bunnies!!".

Elsie has been to a couple, I like having her sleep in the tent with me... And she enjoys when mummy crawls into the tent at 5am and goes "HEY let's go looking for bunnies!!".

Well if you go to any in Aus and see a little blue heeler running around you know who she is biggrin.gif She has completely recovered from her paralysis so she'l be back to doofing!

Not so much a hobby but I love wearing 50s style dresses and I have a wardrobe full of them. I love dressing up and wearing heels and jewelry and make up every day, and when I worked in an office every day I did.

Unfortunately now I work with dogs every day and especially now I have a Malinois who would love to bite my pretty lace dresses and dresses with flowy skirts I never get to wear pretty clothes anymore! It's pants and sneakers every day now :(:cry:

I like trail running. Or failing that, a nice 12-15k pavement bashing fest will do. My dogs do not like running with me. The Lappie is too slow. Looks fantastic trotting beside me, but has no stamina to speak of. The Vall loves running, in theory, but I am an impatient task master and he has short legs. He got so tired of me constantly pushing him faster and farther he steadfastly refused to accompany me anymore. So if I want to go for a 75-90 minute run I have to do that on my own and then later take the dogs out for their exercise. I've had days where I've done a 12k trail run, then come home and taken the boys out for a 7k bush walk. Seems kind of stupid, really. Plus when I have the dogs with me I'm always finding really brutal hills I'm like "Oh yeah, I'd like to give that one a go." but I'm wearing jeans and hikers or something equally uncomfortable to run in. Woe.

Incidentally, if I did have a dog who didn't mind racking up some mileage with me there are limited trail options outside of national parks. At least trail running sans dogs gets me to some gorgeous places I wouldn't otherwise go because the dogs aren't allowed.

I'm jealous Huski. I keep looking wistfully at vintage styled dresses on ebay, etc but I am quite tall and inevitably when I check the length on me they'd look ridiculous :(

Could you wear leggings or stockings with them? That's what I would do with a dress I found too short but then again I am a short ass!

I did a photo shoot for a friend a little while ago with Wisdom my mal. The photographer asked me to wear a pretty dress so I wore a short white Lacey one with leggings. IT WAS SO HARD! I just can't handle Wiz while wearing a dress. She would bite the tug and would end up with a piece of dress in her mouth at the same time and I would panic and have to out her straight away. Playing tug is quite physical and it was so hard to move properly. I was like "and this is why I can't wear nice clothes" :laugh:

Nah they just look funny, I;d have to get them tailor made, I'm long in the body and long in the legs so they sit too high on my waist and come down to my thighs LOL

Very off topic, but being a short arse, with the shortness being all in my legs, I had the impression that most clothes were made for tall people with beautiful long legs!!!

I goal umpire for the local football league from October to March, which is our quiet time for shows in Darwin. There's usually only one show a month in this period, so I'm able to ask for a Saturday night off from the footy to show.

However at the moment I'm umpiring in a higher league which is played during my regular league's off season. There are less games played in Darwin, so in reality I'm only umpiring one game every 3 weeks or so, but this seems to clash with just about ALL the show dates! I was able to take last Saturday night off to show my dog because it was a 'less important' game. Usually I am able to send mum along (Coco is her dog after all) and I arrange for a friend to handle her.

Not a chance, I can't buy pants that are long enough or t-shirts that are long enough and all the dresses at the moment that are designed to sit just above the knee barely cover my backside(not a good look if I'm teaching at a primary school!) I basically don't own any nice clothes :( I've always felt shorties had it better because at least they had the option to take things up, I can't magically make things longer LOL