To Puppy Food Or Not To Puppy Food...?

I have a 19 week (wow time flies!) Labrador puppy. My little man has been fed on Bonnie Puppy as supplied by the breeder. I am nearly finished the food that I got when I brought him home and I want to swap to a more premium branded food. Does anyone have any suggestions about brands? Would you recommend feeding puppy food? Would you recommend large breed puppy food? My little man gets a number of "extras" (fruit, veg, raw and cooked meat, bones, as well as the odd treat) every day so he is not solely kibble fed. I have had a lab before who suffered hip dysplasia and I spent a long time looking for a breeder with exceptional hip/elbow scores and I don't want to do anything to jeopardise that by letting him grow too fast.

ALL suggestions welcome!! I just want my little man to lead a long, happy and healthy life!! :)

post-48822-0-23534900-1369736484_thumb.jpg

If this is what the breeder recommended personally I would be sticking with it. You obviously did a lot of research to find a pup bred by people who did the hard yards - I doubt they wouldn't have done the hard yards in deciding on which food to recommend for their pups.

I use Bonnie (Working) and prefer it over a whole range of "premium" foods - if you like how the pup is growing why change?

First port of call to me would be a phone call to the breeders.

Edited by Sandra777

Thanks Sandra! I think he's doing well - lots of energy, seems happy and is growing like there's no tomorrow. I've had so many people tell me that I shouldn't be feeding it because it's a low-quality food. I am quite happy with him and as I said, he gets lots of "extras". I guess I'm looking for advice on should I be changing and if so, what to.

First question to ask would be - do all these people telling you Bonnie is bad & you "need" to change know anything about rearing fit and healthy Labrador puppies?

If yes - then ask them for their recommendations and reasoning behind them.

Generic advice is not useful - what is great food for a 7 year old Chihuahua is not necessarily great food for a young Labrador or elderly Great Dane.