Collie Smooth

Blackdogs

I have always loved these dogs, but was wondering about their biddability and ability to engage in obedience, agility, herding, etc.

Does anyone have one that does these things? If so, how easy are they to train in comparison to other herding breeds?

Very biddable, very trainable but not for someone who wants to jerk a dog around.

Your challenge will be to find one with plenty of drive for agility. In my limited experience they can be rather soft but I have seen a couple who fitted the bill.

Blackdogs back in the 1980's the obedience rings were full of collies. Smooth Collies are still very uncommon but there are a number of them starting to enter the rings and gain titles. They can be very good working dogs and are kind and easy to train but like their rough brothers they don't like too much repetion or they will start to be creative. Given the chance though most love to work and have a good attitude. They tend to be less bouncy and than borders and Aussies, and more business like. Of course some things do depend on bloodlines and individual temperament but for the most part they seem to enjoy their work. We currently have Collies in tracking, agility, obedience, dancing and herding though there aren't many of us as so few are being bred.

If you're on Facebook have a look here and feel free to ask what ever you like most of our Collie owners who trial are on the group.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/dogsport/

Blackdogs if you're up near KCC on Saturday I will be trialling my rough and there is a smooth entered too.

Edited by Natsu chan

Blackdogs back in the 1980's the obedience rings were full of collies. Smooth Collies are still very uncommon but there are a number of them starting to enter the rings and gain titles. They can be very good working dogs and are kind and easy to train but like their rough brothers they don't like too much repetion or they will start to be creative. Given the chance though most love to work and have a good attitude. They tend to be less bouncy and than borders and Aussies, and more business like. Of course some things do depend on bloodlines and individual temperament but for the most part they seem to enjoy their work. We currently have Collies in tracking, agility, obedience, dancing and herding though there aren't many of us as so few are being bred.

If you're on Facebook have a look here and feel free to ask what ever you like most of our Collie owners who trial are on the group.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/dogsport/

Blackdogs if you're up near KCC on Saturday I will be trialling my rough and there is a smooth entered too.

Thanks for the info! I wonder if the Collie retained its less profuse coat of old would it be more popular? The grooming element of Collie Roughs really puts me off.

Easy to train BUT generally not as drivey as some of the other herding breeds. Drive, focus and engagement really needs to be nurtured gently from when you get the puppy for the best results. Very easy dogs to live with.

Blackdogs one of my roughs is smooth bred (she's the one who is trialling on Saturday). She is a darling but quite naked. :laugh: Some of the older bloodlines carry less coat. They are less drivey than some of the other herding breeds but that has it's up side and down side. I personally would find a border collie or an Aussie just too much lovely as they are. I have had alot of people tell me that Collies can't work but most of them never get the chance to show what they can do. I have had Collies for around 30 years and they certainly aren't for everyone. Having said that and love them to bits, they are easy to live with but they can be a bit barky and my current two do like to have a chat. You are more than welcome to come and meet my girl and have a chat if you're down this way on Saturday.

I think in terms of drive I would rank them Collie, Aussie, Border Collie, but each breed can cross over each others line, We had BC's back on the farm when I was young and I do remember one of them being a lazy git, he would always prefer to play with me and my toys than go with the old man to herd :laugh:

I love my smooth... he was very full on as a youngster but has settled very well now matured. He enjoys obedience but finds the repetition boring, will be starting either agility or flyball with him soon which I think he will enjoy more. He is very toy focused and also food orientated so I haven't found him too tricky training wise, I find he's quite sensitive and I would only ever use mild corrections for him otherwise he shuts down training wise (I'm not a harsh correction type anyway).

They are barky! Loves to hear his own voice and I'm not sure on other smooths but my boy can be a bit of a princess hah (should see the dirty looks I get if I try and make him work in the rain).