Get Puppy Used To Wearing A Coat

wonder

We've been very lucky with our pup - he's a happy go lucky puppy who's been very unfazed by most things to date, been very easy to train, he's toilet trained, loves his crate, and quite happy with his collar and a lead. He's a 3 month old Mini Schnauzer.

But, he's not liking his coat. Well, when I say not liking, he just stands there looking woeful. It's like he forgets how to walk. It's a lightweight coat, with a belly band which is loosly fitted. It's the only time he's not been interested in treats. It's like he's just gone into another state (he doesn't look scared or fearful).

Any tips on how to get him used to it? He has had his first clip, and with the cold mornings, he does get cold so needs something when we go out walking. Going to get a jersey type one this weekend to see if that's better, but would be interested to hear your thoughts and ideas.

(on a very funny note and for a giggle, go onto youtube and look for "miniature schnauzer life jacket" of a little puppy who reacts similarily to a life jacket, although she keeps falling over, very funny!)

Thanks in advance!

My Mini schnauzer was like that when we first put a coat on him :) oh the trauma! I put his on at each meal for a day or two - put his bowl down and left him to it....he's too much of a guts to mess around too much with food in front of him (a mini trait I've learnt to make the most of!!) Only took him a day or two, now he'll happily wear jumpers and coats to keep him warm after he's been clipped off! For example....

7299279436_6c918738f0.jpg

Edited by ktig

Hmmm - I will be watching here because my baby Maltese is going to the groomer for his first puppy cut next weekend and is not too happy about wearing a coat/jumper either .... might try the treat/feeding trick and see if it works for him

Thanks, will try with his food as you suggest. I managed to get a thin t-shirt type on him this morning and he was less stoopid about it, so clearly need to work up to the coat. He's definitely feeling the cold, so need to get something on him.

Most dogs don't need a coat ,it makes the humans feel better but with coated breeds please pick a good coat .

The knitted jumpers are itchy & often over heat dogs & cause the worst knotting.

As a groomer we are coming into our nightmare season of matted dogs who wear coats & made worse by fabrics that really aren't suitable or cover the bellies .

The jumper types often are to tight around the arm pits & pull ,look at the coat from a vert practical point of view & comfort but in all honesty unless your pup has been clipped short they don't need them & some hate them no matter how you try .

• 2 weeks later...

I second showdogs idea that most dogs don't need coats.

I had a miniature and standard poodles clipped short, but both were fine - never a coat needed- outdoors in Canberra.

In Canberra, they slept inside (sub-zero winters).

But on NSW south coast, both slept outdoors thru winter, no problems, no coats.

Coats/ woolly jumpers can cause knots/ matting, too.

Most dogs don't need a coat ,it makes the humans feel better but with coated breeds please pick a good coat .

The knitted jumpers are itchy & often over heat dogs & cause the worst knotting.

As a groomer we are coming into our nightmare season of matted dogs who wear coats & made worse by fabrics that really aren't suitable or cover the bellies .

The jumper types often are to tight around the arm pits & pull ,look at the coat from a vert practical point of view & comfort but in all honesty unless your pup has been clipped short they don't need them & some hate them no matter how you try .

I agree with this ..

(My Hamlet did have a polar fleece coat for Winter , as we get sub zero nights and my bedroom always has an open window ;) )