Birds Chance Of Survival?

hankdog

IMG_4467_zpsd0fd395e.jpg

We have a creek on our property and I occasionally see this beautiful bird around. Last week he surprised me by coming up to the pool. On editing his photos I can see why. He was able to fly away and landed in the tree, he wasn't able to completely lift the foot in flight though. Anybody have any opinions on what will happen, a fair amount of the shaft of the hook is out, I have no fishing experience so don't know how to estimate the size of the hook. I haven't seen him since last week, should I try feed him if he returns? And what should I feed him, I assume he eats fish?

Edited by hankdog

Its hard to tell if its lodged in the leg or the feather coat. unless you can safely contain him to take to a vet I would let him be, he has probably lived with it for a long time judging by the color of the hook.

Or like persephone said see if any locals who deal with birds can give some advice.

Edited by JackC

Have your pool net ready and have someone there to help if he does return. If you can just keep the net above him while the other person grabs him and places him in a box, then of course straight to the vets.

Yes infection is the big problem and he will tire quickly, so hopefully he won't put to much of a struggle.

Plus if you do catch him, don't feed him. If he needs to be anesthetized he'll need an empty belly.

Good luck............