Almost 12yo Greyhound Needs Home Or Rescue Asap

Thanks guys. I will rework the diets a bit and try get something workable for all 3. I am feeding Holistic Select senior at the moment. I've fed TOTW in the past and like this so may swap back. Will check out cost of Ziwipeak but imagine it is going to be waaaaay too exxy

My mally x is getting some Megaderm for his skin so have added a little for Bob also.

The other thing that RSPCA told us was that he only recently got desexed. Not sure if that will have any bearing on his personality, but he has shown no dominance issues at all

He's racked out asleep in his crate, so sweet

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, meant to update. He is going really well. Completely fine with the cats and it's like they don't exist, he ignores them.

To be safe he is crated at night but he seems happy with that and the crate is HUGE so he has heaps of space

He is getting fed twice a day, this morning roast chicken and some pasta. Tonight will be meat and kibble. He is still thin with his hip bones jutting out, so will be happy when he has a bit more weight on him. Have been adding a bit of egg to his kibble and have some tins of sardines also.

He had some teeth removed so don;t think he would go too well with bones? We don't feed them a lot here because one of our guys will food guard and it was so hard to completely clean up any scerrick of bone from the yard

He still seems lost. He likes to spend the days outside on the deck and will quite often go to the gate and just stand there staring. I think his misses his old owner. Hopefully he will settle in more as time passess.

Thanks for the update WP, I've been thinking about Bob. Hopefully he will start to settle soon, he has a wonderful home but I guess he is missing his old owner, it would be sad to watch :( Stan is not big on sharing bones either so my two only get lamb flaps seperated while they eat them. As they are mostly meat and ribs they are totally demolished, I can't have bones laying around either. That's brilliant with the cats, he must've lived with them before, is he getting better with Pepe?

Thanks for the almost lovely update, WP. It is awful to watch them pine, because there isn't much you can do except wait for time to do its bit.

However, he is now safe and loved and it probably won't be too long before that knowledge seeps through and takes over.

Even if dogs don't have many teeth, they can still knaw on bones ..... recognising the reasons you don't feed them often :) as it used to be like that here until Bunter realised that dogs milling around him didn't mean they wanted to steel his bone. Perhaps you could leave some meaty ones in his crate at night?

I'm sure it won't be long before he starts to put on weight. He does sound a lovely lovely boy.

aww lovely update :thumbsup:

Bob's got his own little Pepe hotwater bottle :) You could always send an update through to the shelter (the staff adore update photos) and ask that it be sent on to the old owner. Great save guys :D

(btw for all the greyhound people reading Lokey is now available for adoption. )

don't be too concerned about the hip bones showing, that's fairly normal on a greyhound, as long as his ribs are very lightly covered. You are doing an excellent job :thumbsup:

My parents adopted an 8 yo GSD once and we reckon she looked for her old owners for around 12 months.

Hi,

He is fantastic! Absolutely adore him and he is no trouble at all. Pleased to report that his ribs are now starting to get a covering over them and his coat is looking really shiny.

He has given me two heart attacks though. About two days ago I was bringing horses out of house paddock and he did zoomies in the house yard and one of his legs gave out on him :( Something similar happened this morning, he went to come up the stairs to me and his front leg buckled under him and he fell onto the stairs :(

Both times he has been OK afterwards and is weight bearing but I am wondering if he has arthritis? Just wondering if I should add something to his food to help out a bit? I have MSM / Glucosamine powder here and I've found that helps my joint pain.

Or should I be getting a vet to give him a course of cartrophen?

He's just such a sweety and seems to know this is home now :) We haven;t been able to teach him bad habits and get him on the lounge or bed yet :laugh:

Oh that's fantastic news WP :D except for the leg going of course, maybe a trip to the vet to have a look anyway. I forget which vet you use, Hugh Bain? but I can recommend my vet Michael Jones at Erina Heights, he is very greyhound savvy. Hope it's just arthritis and treatable with the cartrophen, I don't have any knowledge on supplements. Wonderful to hear he is putting on weight and his coat is getting shiny and doing zoomies!!

I'm sure he'll discover the lounge soon, didn't take Stan long and he's never looked back :laugh:

Thanks so much for the update, made my day :thumbsup:

He's just such a sweety and seems to know this is home now :) We haven;t been able to teach him bad habits and get him on the lounge or bed yet :laugh:

Fantastic report, Winterpaws. I hope you can get some answers on what causes Bob's legs to go. Maybe he just needs to build up his strength and perfect his zoomie technique.

:love::love: