Zig Had Another Turn Last Night

Staffyluv

Thanks for all the suggestions and good wishes everyone.

Seizures can exhibit a wide variety if symptoms, even fly snapping, so I guess it is a possibility.

Monte was always super hyper during the post ictal phase and in between seizures in a cluster. His seizures were fairly violent and they used to make him hungry and exhausted once he finally "came down" from his manic stage.

I hope you get some answers soon Staffyluv. Videoing is a good idea.

Anne that is exactly what the vet said.

Zig's bad episode last week - he was really hyper, his heart rate was really fast, his gums were white and he was 'frantic'. We all thought it was some sort of poisoning but as it happened again last night, it is doubtful that it was.

Zig seems to be starving tonight - he has bought me his kong (which I usually fill with kibble and cottage cheese, if I go out) and his treat ball. He keeps drinking water tonight and has checked his food bowl constantly.

I gave him some fish about 3pm as he seemed really hungry then, so I just did his kong for him and will leave it at that tonight.

JaneH, I do believe the thyroid levels are being tested as well as liver, kidney and pancreatic stuff is being looked at as well.

From memory today Hamish asked for FBC and thyroid and pancreatic levels when he spoke to the nurse.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JaneH, I do believe the thyroid levels are being tested as well as liver, kidney and pancreatic stuff is being looked at as well.

From memory today Hamish asked for FBC and thyroid and pancreatic levels when he spoke to the nurse.

Good, I am pleased that you appear to have a very thorough vet. A lot of times this area is missed.

Good Luck with the results and hopefully you and your vet will find a reason why.

Staffyluv, I believe Monte was also hungry because his sugar levels dropped after his seizures. Not only that, his system was running so manic and his heart very fast, so it was like he had run a marathon. I usually gave him ice cream or yoghurt. The sugar helped him recover his energy and the coolness of both dishes helped lower his body temperature.

Ask your vet if he inks this might help ziggy too.

I was always really worried his heart would give out or he would overheat. If it is seizure activity, and it turns out to be epilepsy, it is manageable. Scary at first, but manageable.

Edited by ~Anne~

The vet asked me today to cut out most of his foods and take him back to chicken and rice with just a bit of kibble.

He said to remove bones and red meat.

Not sure why? I thought that a good diet would be paramount treating a dog when their energy levels drop so much after such episodes???

Zig normally has breaky and dinner each day (which the vet said is good - a couple of meals a day).

Breaky is usually one of: turkey neck, chook wing, a few chook necks, a few lamb ribs or some kibble with either cottage cheese or sardines.

Dinner is usually red meat with some kibble.

All meat and bones are raw.

We use RC for large breed because he is over 25kg.. He likes it and has been on it for a while now.

At Sunday training he gets no breakfast before we go and I use homebrand devon and cheese (OMG that devon is horrible but he loves it). Then he gets his usual dinner.

He often gets bits of my fruit during the day or yoghurt and is happy to chew on a carrot.

But now he is back to chicken and rice for a few days. He doesn't seem to like it but he isn't fond of cooked meat or rice.

The vet asked me today to cut out most of his foods and take him back to chicken and rice with just a bit of kibble.

He said to remove bones and red meat.

Not sure why? I thought that a good diet would be paramount treating a dog when their energy levels drop so much after such episodes???

Zig normally has breaky and dinner each day (which the vet said is good - a couple of meals a day).

Breaky is usually one of: turkey neck, chook wing, a few chook necks, a few lamb ribs or some kibble with either cottage cheese or sardines.

Dinner is usually red meat with some kibble.

All meat and bones are raw.

We use RC for large breed because he is over 25kg.. He likes it and has been on it for a while now.

At Sunday training he gets no breakfast before we go and I use homebrand devon and cheese (OMG that devon is horrible but he loves it). Then he gets his usual dinner.

He often gets bits of my fruit during the day or yoghurt and is happy to chew on a carrot.

But now he is back to chicken and rice for a few days. He doesn't seem to like it but he isn't fond of cooked meat or rice.

I did an elimination diet with my dog when he started having seizures, and I kept a log to see if anything was 'causing' them. Not sure if this is the reason he has put him on this diet though.

Snook he is fine today. We went to the park early for a walk and then I let him off lead for a run for about 15 minutes.

We came home, he had breakfast, then slept for a while..

We spent the afternoon in the garden building the no dig garden beds (not sure how long they will remain no dig with him around).. He was laying in the sun, diggin in his hole.

We just had an early dinner and he is sleeping again. He does seem 'worn out'.. Like he only goes for a bit before he wants to stop and sleep..

Off to google Liver Shunt - thanks dancinbcs. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I missed the vets call (because I stupidly left my phone inside while we were doing the garden) and there was no answer when I tried to call back about 2.30pm.

I imagine there was nothing serious or Hamish would have left a message and he didn't.

I will call them first thing Monday.

Sorry to hear about all Ziggys problems. Hope he is feeling better soon and you get some answers. You have always been so generous with your help and advice with others problems so hope the karma is returned to you and Zig :)

Sorry to hear about all Ziggys problems. Hope he is feeling better soon and you get some answers. You have always been so generous with your help and advice with others problems so hope the karma is returned to you and Zig :)

:clap:

Well said. I agree.

Oh Staffyluv, I have just caught the end of this thread. I must have missed it whilst in hospital.

I'm so sorry to hear Zig has been so crook. We have all paws crossed here for a promising outcome to Ziggy's turns.

Thoughts are with you both of you at this stressful time :hug:

Edited by BC Crazy