Wetting The Bed At Night

Zug Zug

Zamba is now 14, and while she is fit and well in most respects she has started to wet the bed at night. Tonight is probably the fifth time in 2 weeks.

She has also left a few puddles in the house recently.

I will make a time to see the vet this week, but interested to hear how others have managed this issue.

I had tried getting her heat pad out for her to sleep with under a sheepskin. But she seems to find it too hot, and slept off to one side of it.

Kayla started doing the same thing a while ago and because it's still fairly infrequent I've been able to manage it by making sure she goes out to toilet last thing before bed, and covering her beds in case of accidents. Though covering her beds won't always work because she tends to move around at night now. In her case the accidents occurred because she wasn't able to get outside quickly enough, and most of the time I've been able to work out the cause (increase in medication dosage, UTI, some type of seizure and possibly dementia have been the causes for her).

I haven't tried any of the medication for incontinence at this stage with Kayla because it doesn't happen very often. Hopefully your vet will give some good advice about the possible causes and treatments.

• 3 months later...

My Sarah, now 12 year old Westie, started having infrequent accidents from about age 10 - sometimes in her bed overnight, other times on the lounge. And it really distressed her.

I managed it OK for a little under two years with UTI checks, regular toiletting etc. Then it got more frequent so I've started her on Stilboestrol. Has worked like a charm and she's a much happier girl. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

My Sarah, now 12 year old Westie, started having infrequent accidents from about age 10 - sometimes in her bed overnight, other times on the lounge. And it really distressed her.

I managed it OK for a little under two years with UTI checks, regular toiletting etc. Then it got more frequent so I've started her on Stilboestrol. Has worked like a charm and she's a much happier girl. smile.gif

Same result for my Lily. She was very distressed by her puddles. Stllboestrol has worked like a charm for her. She only needs one tablet a month now.

The senior Whippet in my house also has incontinence issues. Propalin is working for him.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• 2 weeks later...

Same result for my Lily. She was very distressed by her puddles. Stllboestrol has worked like a charm for her. She only needs one tablet a month now.

The senior Whippet in my house also has incontinence issues. Propalin is working for him.

Another vote for Propalin here.

It is usually for females but my vet said it also works on some male dogs so we tried it on Mac (1/4 ml twice daily) and it is a miracle!...no wet-smelly Mac-tummy any more, no more washing bedding (and the floor) everyday, and the house doesn't have a dog-pee smell.

Edited by Boronia

• 2 months later...

My Sarah, now 12 year old Westie, started having infrequent accidents from about age 10 -

Well, I'm glad to see that accidents can start to happen at what to me is still young - LOL. I have been a bit baffled as to who is "leaking" at night. They all sleep on my bed and move around a bit which is why I am not 100% sure who is having problems - my only certainty is that it isn't me :laugh: :laugh: , Gussy or Bunter. I don't think I can point the finger at Danny, so that just leaves the girls. :(:(

I think both Jeune and Tamar are having accidents and as Tamar is not quite 10, I was a bit horrified to find patches where she has been lying

Our annual vax times are coming up so I'll be having them all checked over. I had two really large wet patches in three days pretty much where Jeune had been and this morning I flipped back the bedclothes to find a smallish patch where Tamar had been. Thank goodness for dryers and the ability to purchase extra supplies of mattress protectors on line :laugh: .