Pancreatitis 2nd Time 13 Year Old Dog :(

Tazar

Hi again,

Our little Cav girl is 13 years old, almost blind, has ongoing eye problems so is on Optimune, is allergic to everything she was tested for so is on and off steroids for rashes and had a bout of pancreatitis about 2 years ago. She only goes out to go tot he toilet and spends the rest of her days on her bed in either the bedroom, lounge or in front of the fire. We have had her for about 4 years now, she is a rescue.

Today she has started vomiting again and I have found that the bag of puppy food in the laundry is almost gone so she I think she has been getting into it. She is at the vets and I am awaiting blood results. The vet thinks it may be pancreatitis or a blockage.

Either way it is going to be expensive and I hate for things to boil down to cash but it cost over $1700 last time she was treated, she is on constant meds and prescription diet. So am I being pragmatic or a horrible, horrible person if I give her wings??? :cry::cry::cry:

Now with meds and treatment sometimes we prolong their lives when once we couldn't have. Just because we can keep them alive doesn't always mean it's the right thing to do for them. You need to also consider her quality of life. It's a horrible decision to have to make.

I make all Gizzi food and treats and she hasn't had a attack for ages

chicken breast , veg and small amount rice [basmati as it is low gluten] put chicken veg in then rice later .that is all she gets for food

treats , tuna bake , tin tuna in springwater , egg, rice flower , baked very slow

any time I have tried her on any other type food she has an attack

she has fits , which is treated with meds, but not streiods as it upsets the pancreatitis

she gets skin rashes, but I prevent it by using aloveen shampoo and conditioner

this all works for me, some of it may work for you

I make all Gizzi food and treats and she hasn't had a attack for ages

chicken breast , veg and small amount rice [basmati as it is low gluten] put chicken veg in then rice later .that is all she gets for food

treats , tuna bake , tin tuna in springwater , egg, rice flower , baked very slow

any time I have tried her on any other type food she has an attack

she has fits , which is treated with meds, but not streiods as it upsets the pancreatitis

she gets skin rashes, but I prevent it by using aloveen shampoo and conditioner

this all works for me, some of it may work for you

Your little old girl may be alive but not LIVING , if you know what I mean.

It's sad she was able to eat unsuitable food and become ill ..poor old girl ..it's hard when something happens towards the end of a life...

S

o am I being pragmatic or a horrible, horrible person if I give her wings??? :cry: :cry: :cry:

My old dog ? pragmatism would win out here ... each illness takes a huge toll on an old fragile body , yes, as well as a wallet :( , and is keeping her alive enabling her to enjoy all that a doggy life can offer?

Seems you have the decision front & centre - maybe you need a 'push' ? I would not think you horrible, no.

Now with meds and treatment sometimes we prolong their lives when once we couldn't have. Just because we can keep them alive doesn't always mean it's the right thing to do for them. You need to also consider her quality of life. It's a horrible decision to have to make.

totally agree. No doubt she's had a great 4 years with you, if you decide to let her go remember she will go with love.

Totally agree with Kirislin, Pers and Rebanne. Sad as it is, giving her her wings now is one last kindness you can do for this old dear, to add to the four years of loving care and kindness you have given her already.

o am I being pragmatic or a horrible, horrible person if I give her wings???

Absolutely not, in my eyes at least. But I'm sorry that you have to make this decision for the dear old thing. :(

The fact that she's had an attack of pancreatitis this time, is due to something out of the ordinary. She got an overload of food by breaking into the packet of puppy food. If you meant actual 'puppy' food then it's higher in fat. All dogs, young & old, with a tendency towards pancreatitis, will get an attack if they get a big dose of fatty food.

That was an accident.

You must've been doing fine with her diet, in that her last attack of pancreatitis was 2 years ago.

I speak from experience ... our rescue sheltie had frequent attacks of pancreatitis, until I got a handle on just how fat-free the diet has to be. I didn't use the prescription food, just worked out everyday foods as chezy's posted (thank goodness for basmati rice). So then no treatment costs.

By coincidence, he also had a deteriorating eye condition that couldn't be cured, which meant he gradually lost his sight by age 12 years. But he was in no pain & adjusted to the protected life he led as a senior house pet. And we learned how to live with a dog with little or no vision. His life was comfortable, safe, pain-free & with plenty of grandpa naps. Distress free.

Within a couple of years, he developed a bowel problem which meant that life could no longer be maintained. And he was lovingly given his wings.

Each dog owner has to make their call according to their pet's circumstances & what they want for that pet. Warmest thoughts to you as you make your decision. These decisions are always made with thought & great love. The opposite of being a horrible person.

Edited by mita

My sbt girl had pancreatitis (chronic?) and survived for at least another 7 years. Absolutely no treats or snacks - only her Hills Prescription W/D ever since she was diagnosed. We were tough. She developed other health issues over time and she got her wings at almost 17. But that diet consistency prevented any further incidents of pancreatitis. My wonderful vet did try and find a natural diet option for her - something I could make myself, but it contained about 20 ingredients so I decided the W/D kibble and tins would have to do!

I totally agree with this. From time to time I read posts about all the avenues people are pursuing in an attempt to "find a cure". Sometimes I want to beg them to let their loved one go to peace.

That said, it is never never easy and whatever action you take will bring with it doubts, recriminations, what ifs. There is only one measure and one you can take with your vet's advice and assistance: what sort of life is your little dog having.

Most of us have been there and we know the heartache and turmoil you are experiencing.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your words and support but I have no decision to make today :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) I have some good news, so far, levels are fine as far as pancreatitis is concerned and, they x-rayed her twice and no blockages were found.

She had an anti nausea shot and is at home resting and has not vomited again. She is very flat and had no interest in circling my feet when I fed the rest of the gang tonight so she is not out of the woods yet. (She has the appetite of a Labrador usually). It only cost me $300.

Her time will come later and I will remember the advice, sincerely, thank you :flower:

Good news!

I'd recommend getting some very secure containers so she can't have any more accidents.

I have a dog here with digestive issues and have to keep the bin on top of the kitchen cupboards so she can't raid it and end up on a drip. The biscuits are all kept locked away because she would raid them if she could.

Sometimes we just have to adjust our habits and the way we live to keep them safe.

Glad to hear that.

Yes as they get older, every time they get sick you start to think 'is this it?' and it's a thought process that comes up several times before their real time actually comes.

Just a thought: in my experience when the real day comes, deep down you really do just know. These days vets rarely coach you to put your dog to sleep, and will often offer a lot of treatment, some of it very expensive. I think they do this because they believe that is what we are coming to them for - i.e. to help the dog and make it better again.

If you love your dog, and I'm sure you do, let your instincts guide you and do what's best for your dog. If a vet is offering treatment options that you think are not for the best, when looking at the big picture of life for your dog, you can question it and ultimately you can make the decision that is right for your dog. In my experience vets are very comfortable having these conversations, but can be hesitant to open them up initially.

My 14 year old girl has also had several bouts of pancreatitis and we manage it through diet. She is living a healthy and active life still. So for us, like you, the decision is hopefully a few years away yet.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your words and support but I have no decision to make today :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) I have some good news, so far, levels are fine as far as pancreatitis is concerned and, they x-rayed her twice and no blockages were found.

Her time will come later and I will remember the advice, sincerely, thank you :flower:

Good to hear, Tazar. Only an owner can make the call because only the owner knows what the situation is.

Good to hear, Tazar. Only an owner can make the call because only the owner knows what the situation is.

That is excellent news, Tazar. So happy for you both.

Has the vet helped you with advice as to ongoing dietary requirements?

In the last six months of her life my old sbt girl was at the vet's every month for a check up because I was finding it impossible to work out if she was suffering in any way (she was such a toughy). She probably would've lasted on another 3 to 6 months on her own stubbornness but her mobility and mind was unpredictable and I had to decide that I'd rather she go knowing us and feeling no pain than to come home from an outing and find she got herself jammed somewhere and gotten injured or distressed trying to get free. It was an incredibly hard decision and I questioned it for weeks afterwards. Two years on I can see I was worried about robbing myself of time with her rather than the other way around. I know she had a full life with us, right down to the very last day, and left this world content and pain free.

My little girl is still not well, only ate a tiny bit of roast (no fat) last night (very unlike her), stayed asleep on her bed all day. She was wonky on her feet last night. She is still drinking water and weeing but not sure about anything else. The vet x-rayed her and said there were no blockages and her kidney, liver, etc were fine.

Will have to see how she goes today I guess..... :crossfingers: