Convincing Dogs To Get Their Feet Wet In The Morning...

redangel

When I got my pup I acted like rain was no big deal, we still went out in it as normal for walks and bathroom etc. A lot of people train their dogs to be fussy about rain by acting differently, changing their routine, not going out in it etc

yes.

No special treatment here ... we go out ... simple . Same as we have done since they were babies ..no fuss, no conversation ..just "C'mon, time for 'quick - quicks' ..and they know that there is no dinner/bed until they actually toilet.

This topic made me laugh so much, its nice to know I'm not the only one with a precious dog!

Marlo very reluctantly heads outside but will stop every few steps to look back at me as if to say "really?". I then tell him again to go and he takes a few more steps then stops. Repeat 3-4 times. Sometimes he tries to veer off course and sneak off (while I am still watching). Eventually he just gives up and goes onto the grass to do his thing and then dashes back inside.

This is the same dog that launches himself into the creek or ocean at any opportunity... Go figure!!

We don't make a fuss over rain at all, same goes for thunder and lightning. The dogs know the toilet is outside and when they're taken out there, they know what to do. They even know to wait for me to wipe their feet before they come back inside. Even Sumo my 12 week old pup has quickly picked up this routine.

When I got my pup I acted like rain was no big deal, we still went out in it as normal for walks and bathroom etc. A lot of people train their dogs to be fussy about rain by acting differently, changing their routine, not going out in it etc

yes.

No special treatment here ... we go out ... simple . Same as we have done since they were babies ..no fuss, no conversation ..just "C'mon, time for 'quick - quicks' ..and they know that there is no dinner/bed until they actually toilet.

laugh.gifPers i can't imagine anything else from you! thumbsup1.gif I need to employ you here for the precious westies who hate getting their tooties wet! (And no I didn't teach them to be precious... Sarah in particular - I think here its a girl thing!) embarrass.gif

ok at the park my boy doesnt care about wet grass, rain or cold!

at home he refuses to go to the toilet in the mornings or if its raining or wet unless i let him out in the front yard :shrug:

my girl is so good she doesnt mind she just goes. even if we lock him outside he just stands at the back door till we let him back in :laugh:

get some doggy deoderant! im not a fan of the wet dog smell but we will walk in the rain or go out in the wet, when i get home i towel dry them and spray them with some doggy deoderant and there is no smell!! :D

I'm not a fan of walking the dogs in the rain coz I don't want the house smelling of wet dog :p

And in the mornings Collie the Cocker will go straight up onto the lawn and does what he needs to do.

Sarah takes a little bit longer, we have a raised lawn with a couple of sets of stairs going up. Sarah will head up one set of stairs then change her mind, then go up the next and eventually make her way along the outside of the lawn by the fence to where Collie has ended up and cocks her leg over the same place he's gone.

When my partner takes them out he'll go as well to provide some encouragement :p

Still early days with the two dogs though, hopefully Sarah will learn that she can go of her own accord and not wait for Collie so she can mark her scent over the top of his.

I'd love to know how everyone gets their dogs to pee in the rain. My dog refuses to get out in the rain unless we wait until we know she is busting to go.

Own white/long coated show dogs.....they're magnets for mud and rain :rofl:

In all seriousness though we have always acted like it's no big deal. I make sure all the puppies go out in the rain, I play with them in it, give them treats, train in it etc

No problem with Labbies. They're more reluctant when it's blazing hot than when it's raining.

What I want is a way to get them to wipe their feet before they come back in the house. I am so tired of muddy footprints.

No problem with Labbies. They're more reluctant when it's blazing hot than when it's raining.

What I want is a way to get them to wipe their feet before they come back in the house. I am so tired of muddy footprints.

My lab sits up on the bench with me at the park if the ground is wet, she doesn't like her paws wet most of the time anyway.... the other day lab instincts must have got her an she jumped in every puddle out on our walk.

Mine go on command so if I anticipate any issues I make sure they really have to go (I might have brekky or get dressed first thing in the morning instead of letting them out first thing so they have a few minutes to reflect on how badly they actually need to go) and then open the door and give the command. Being their good little obedient selves they usually rush out to follow the command since by now their little bladders are just about ready to pop and if they notice that it's cold/wet/hot/foggy/whatever then it is usually afterwards and they rush back in ASAP lol

Nothing worse than standing outside in the cold waiting for a dog to decide that it won't melt in the rain while it tends to it toileting needs :p

If it's really wet or windy and I am heading straight back inside afterwards I will usually put a rain coat on them so they don't get all wet and smelly and this usually means they are not worried about the rain anyways, even if they don't need to go urgently

100% agree!

I do exactly the same, and thats the key.

I usually get a little whinge and know it's time to go. It's the first thing we do. up and straight out, but don't do it until i know he's ready.

The good part is that from 10wks old, he's held it all night, every night, so come morning, there's no mucking around, he's ready pretty much as soon as he's up :)