♥ Strolchie 2004 - 2010 ♥

gwp4me

I lost my adored friend, my GWP Strolchie (Darkwings Inverness Java X Korskote Xplosiv Klass) very unexpected and because of an insanely stupid misadventure. Even when only puppies, Strolchie and his litter mate Struppie tried to run away into the bush together, following their noses - too much of a temptation with all the wildlife surrounds. This time we had an old tractor delivered, which was a big event for us, after waiting eleven years, so unfortunately, a gate was left open, and the dogs were long gone when we noticed. Because we live remote, we had no clue what direction they could have taken. So we searched a whole week for them, had ads in local papers, announcements over the radio, posted on a forum, rang up pounds everywhere - even Canberra and Queanbeyan, left messages and flyers in service stations, bush pub, painted a sign and displayed on a bush road. Two of my husbands's friends came from far away to search, on the 7th day - while getting dark, my husband and friend found only Struppie, at an uninhabited property 1.4km from our house. He was on the other side of the creek, and had to swim back through the very cold water, to get to the car. My biggest nightmare came true, when after one week of very cold weather in October, with two nights of solid rain, my beloved pet - who had suffered from arthritis after having been kicked by a rescue horse, had not been able to keep up with Struppie, did not respond to being called for a whole hour, assumed to be somewhere else, was left behind for another night in the cold weather.

Next morning, when we set out to look for him, we found him drowned, floating in the creek. He had tried to come home hours earlier, crossed the creek, and because of his muscle wasting, could not push himself out of the water, having missed the flat creek bank. With a last effort he must have tried to exit on a slight slope, and could not get through the tight bull rashes, out of the water. This memory will haunt me forever, as I know I have failed him, by not returning later on in the night, to wait for him. Sleep well, my Strolchie, all I have left now is your grave in our paddock. :cry:

P1000568.jpg

Strolchie on the left, Struppie to the right

P1000670.jpg

That's so heartbreaking. My wife is still blaming herself for giving one our dogs a piece of cheese and he choked to death. This was about 2 years ago. I think you all did a fantastic job searching. My thoughts & Prayers are with you.

Run free now little mate.

Deek

Thank you all for your kind words. Deek, sorry to read about your dog's bad luck. :( I think the photos speak of my devotion to Strolchie. He used to freeze for photos to be taken, would not move till I said finished. He tried to beat Struppie at anything/all the time, wanted to be the best. Will love him forever. :heart:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi gwp4me,

I have just logged back into the forum after ages away and came across your posts for your two boys. I have their half sister - same sire. I also knew Java and infact showed her at the Brisbane Royal many years ago.

I feel for you and your loss. Run free sweet boys.

Hugs Rae

Hi Rae, thanks for your words of comfort. :) We were very impressed with Java's accomplishments in US and here, also Wesley's, so decided to pick two pups from same litter/as company for each other, when we were in town. They were very proud and kind dogs, real clowns as can be seen in photos.

So far we owned four dogs from that Kennel, started when Anne was still alive. We never dreamed we would lose both pets so premature. Have fun with your gorgeous GWPs. Vera :)

Hi Vera,

I still have Russell - from Anne. Liz was bred by Mandy. Russ is from Anne's very last litter and is 11 years old.

You do still have a wire tho?

Hope I can get to meet you at some stage - I always like to meet wire people and chat wires :)

Hugs

Hi Rae, unfortunately I lost Strolchie's litter mate Struppie on the 22.06.13 from Lymphoma. I still have to write his Tribute in Rainbow Bridge. So both are gone too soon for my liking. :cry: I still got Adi, the nearly 3 year old GWP from Victoria, who likes his beard shaved off. Dogs in my signature are Struppie and Adi. I think your Liz's beard looks similar to what Strolchie's looked like. :)

Edited by gwp4me

That's where the escape artists were roaming around, State Forest surrounded by vacant land. Explains why nobody had seen them in the whole week they were missing. To the left our place and cottage, the pink spot to the right shows where we found our Strolchie, at a neighbour's vacant hobby farm. :(

002-1.jpg

• 3 months later...

:cry: Today is the third anniversary of Strolchie's departure into the forever hunting ground. Run free ~ I will forever hear you yodeling when taking off into the bush with Struppie. Tears every day for my courageous friend, who used to give me high fives non stop, and loved to pose for the camera - he would freeze till the photo was complete, always tried to outdo his brother at everything. :cry:

CapturePNG12.png

548270_10200497373057053_1094479232_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...