Dogo Argentino

bullaroo

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not my cup of tea :laugh: but why do they cut their ears off :confused:

Dog fighting is quite common in the states and dogos and pitties are commonly used. They remove the ears to make it harder for the other dog to grab onto the dog. This is where it originally stemmed from anyway. They also used in bore hunting, so owners crop their ears for that reason as well.

Not my cup of tea :laugh: but why do they cut their ears off :confused:

Dog fighting is quite common in the states and dogos and pitties are commonly used. They remove the ears to make it harder for the other dog to grab onto the dog. This is where it originally stemmed from anyway. They also used in bore hunting, so owners crop their ears for that reason as well.

Dogos are not commonly used as fighting dogs. They are hog hunters though and are commonly cropped for that reason just like Alano Españoles are too.

I love these dogs. Graceful, beautiful, loyal. Problem is they often suffer from severe allergies, deafness and skin issues. :(

edit; Also, ear cropping isn't actually very popular for fighting dogs (excludes street fighters..) as it leaves too much exposed. Look at any old photos of match dogs, most of them have natural ears. The owner would rather tend to a torn ear than have half the dog's face ripped off..

Edited by Hockz

Dogos are not commonly used as fighting dogs. They are hog hunters though and are commonly cropped for that reason just like Alano Españoles are too.

I love these dogs. Graceful, beautiful, loyal. Problem is they often suffer from severe allergies, deafness and skin issues. :(

edit; Also, ear cropping isn't actually very popular for fighting dogs (excludes street fighters..) as it leaves too much exposed. Look at any old photos of match dogs, most of them have natural ears. The owner would rather tend to a torn ear than have half the dog's face ripped off..

I didn't know that about fighters. Is it in certain areas of the US? as I was in an area where just about every bullbreed fighter or not was cropped. Some even home done botch jobs :mad

Edited by mixeduppup

Mixeduppup, this is with the old school pit bulldog people that preferred their dogs in their natural state. All over the US and also Europe (especially in the Balkan area). Some cropped champions do exist, but they're fairly rare.

Cropping is popular, but really with pit bulls and amstaffs etc. these days it's done for mostly aesthetic purposes because those owners with self-esteem problems like their dogs "tough" looking. I doubt you saw any fighting dogs, unless you're talking about byb bull mutts that are used for amateur street fighting... Smh.

A quick google tells me that cropped ears are allowed in it's breed standard. So that would be why many are cropped. Breeders and owners preference.

Liked that movie Bonbom el perro, must confess I only watched it because of the big white dog laugh.gif

Mixeduppup, this is with the old school pit bulldog people that preferred their dogs in their natural state. All over the US and also Europe (especially in the Balkan area). Some cropped champions do exist, but they're fairly rare.

Cropping is popular, but really with pit bulls and amstaffs etc. these days it's done for mostly aesthetic purposes because those owners with self-esteem problems like their dogs "tough" looking. I doubt you saw any fighting dogs, unless you're talking about byb bull mutts that are used for amateur street fighting... Smh.

I worked in a shelter environment for a while and saw fighters. It was horrible. Most come from underground byb and the like. I don't know if I've ever seen a champion fighting dog. All I know is most of them were seriously messed up :(

Beautiful dogs! I have Bombon on dvd too. It's a great movie! I imagine this breed would appeal to many bull breed owners. Yes it's a shame they are banned. They are hunting, not fighting dogs usually. Ear cropping, like all breeds is for aesthetic reasons, no true purpose.

I have seen many in Europe. They all had ears cropped and almost all were aggressive. Most were dog aggressive, but some were aggressive towards humans too.

The thing is, they replaced pit bulls within the low life members of the community. So the same type of idiot owners now got bigger and more powerful dogs. Shame really, because they could be fantastic dogs in the right hands.