Puppies On A Plane

audreylesh

First post, long time lurker :)

So, I have a Cavalier - 8 week old pup - flying from Melb to Syd this week via AAE/Qantas and I'm just getting so nervous. It's been booked for weeks but just hitting me now.

Do pups usually do okay on flights? Believe me, I've trawled the web and every forum for experiences and most are good, but still..

Hi Audrey,

Willow flew from Melbourne to Adelaide, she was dropped off around 10am to Melbourne and I picked her up at Adelaide 2.10pm (flight was delayed due to the fog in Sydney). She had peed in her crate, but that looked fresh. She clung to me when I got her out of the crate, but when she was in the back seat of the car she found one of the toys and promptly started playing with it.

At home, it didn't take her long to get settled. She was quiet in comparison to what she is like now, for about a day and a half. I think overall the flight was less stress on her than a very long car ride.

I don't believe she has had any ill effects from her flight experience.

Hi Audrey,

Willow flew from Melbourne to Adelaide, she was dropped off around 10am to Melbourne and I picked her up at Adelaide 2.10pm (flight was delayed due to the fog in Sydney). She had peed in her crate, but that looked fresh. She clung to me when I got her out of the crate, but when she was in the back seat of the car she found one of the toys and promptly started playing with it.

At home, it didn't take her long to get settled. She was quiet in comparison to what she is like now, for about a day and a half. I think overall the flight was less stress on her than a very long car ride.

I don't believe she has had any ill effects from her flight experience.

Thanks so much :) I won't feel completely settled until he is here but knowing other pups do it all the time and he'll be travelling on a nice cool day (no rain predicted either) calms my worrisome mind a little!

Pups fly all the time, it's really common these days. My pup flew from Melbourne to Sydney, but she was in a crate with her brother and I was pleased she wasn't alone. But she was fine, came out of the crate ready for cuddles, gnawed on my finger and acted like nothing ever happened.

She did have a towel with her from the breeder, so she had familiar smells, but there were no pees or poops in the crate.

Another one who's pup flew (literally 2 years ago to the day). She came from Tasmania to the mid north coast of NSW, so would have had a stop in either Melbourne or Sydney.

There was a delay but she was just a normal pup on arrival. Even held her bladder until I got her out of the crate (but I was holding her so guess who got "baptized" by pee). She was playful and happy and very much like any other pup that gets picked up straight from the breeder.

Hey, my pup flew at 8 weeks from Sydney to Melbourne then again at 8 months (this time overseas). He did fine both times but needed a couple of weeks to really settle in I think. I know how nerve wrecking it can be, all the best!

Our 8 week old guy just got here from SA to VIC and he got out of the crate, covered us strangers in kisses, fell asleep on my OH's lap all the way home, walked in the door and cleaned the cat bowls out. I think I can safely say he remains unaffected...Haha.

Bear was flown from albury to Sydney. She was a little scared and hubby had to pry her lil front paws from around my neck after I lifted her out of the crate!!! She had wee'd in the crate so was a bit damp, Then we got in the car and she promptly spewed all over me but was otherwise fine. I guess what I'm trying to say is, take a towel and/or a change of clothes when you go to pick your pup up!!! :laugh:

My guys are frequent flyers .

The most important thing is to not make a big fuss when you get pup out of crate.

Everything is strange & whilst the humans are excited it sometimes becomes all to much when the humans go crazy with photos & the greetings.

There is plenty of time for that part once pup is home & able to get to now everyone & is home.

Some pups come out ful of it others a little more cautious but the human role can also play a big part