Chipped Or Broken Tooth

I noticed yesterday that reggie seems to have broken one of her front teeth. I'm kicking myself that I haven't been checking her teeth regularly, so I don't know when she's done this.

It's quite close to the gum line but she doesn't seem to have any discomfort with it and appears to be eating normally.

Do you think it warrants a vet visit?

D8F07C56-7283-4D4A-9344-115276407DD3-310-000000231B0A6919_zps8f313c86.jpg

Yes you need to get it looked at to see if there is pulp exposure. If there is there will be a direct line for infection deep into the bone- the gum will remain looking healthy until the infection eats its way out. EVERY fractured tooth with pulp exposure IS infected- It just takes a long time for us to be able to see it.

If there is no pulp exposure then it may well be fine for the tooth to stay. But its certainly not possible to diagnose this from the picture you have taken but at that level I am guessing that there is a good chance that there is pulp exposure. I am happy to pass on some info re dental disease if you PM me your email address.

Dogs will continue to eat and not show dental pain until they are ready to give up and die. Unfortunately that makes them their own worst enemy when it comes to getting people to believe that teeth need to be checked by vets once they have been damaged.

Edited by Jumabaar

Thanks Jumabaar I think I will take her down to the vet to get it checked, better safe than sorry.

And thanks for the recommendation Ness, unfortunately Dr Foreman is on holidays but the nurse recommended another of their vets for dentist work and I'm going to see them on Wednesday at the Burnside Clinic. I've forgotten the name she gave me though..

Mine had a fractured too and there was a mild infection. It's a little lumpy and red relative to the other side. Both vets have reckon to do an operation to pull it out so the dog will not suffer pain or reach its next level of infection.

Well, I wated for several months and the infection hasn't gone to the next stage. Actually now it's like half a year now! I guess what I'm trying to say is they can wait and potentially self healed. The pain that she suffers (if any) is not affecting her personality, anyway.