Yet Another Attack

dancinbcs

1370920114[/url]' post='6224172']
1370920021[/url]' post='6224169']
1370916796[/url]' post='6224102']

Just love the way the owners of these dogs prefer to call their darlings "staffies" instead of Pitties.

I would be making a bet, those mutts are the product of the thousands of invisible breeders with goodness knows what behind them

So you yourself admit that there is "goodness knows what" breeds mixed in there and yet you will state that they are Pitties? Seems pretty bizarre logic.

Why are people so caught up in labeling breeds? As if suddenly knowing what breed the dog MIGHT be will shed light on everything? I have a mixed breed dog, adopted as a puppy from the RSPCA as a Staffy cross. She is now above knee height, has a high waist tuck and is gawd knows what breed mixes. There are so many possible breed mixes that MAY make up her looks. She could be a small "bull arab" mix, an Amstaff X Whippet, a dalmation x staffy... the list goes on and the likelyhood that there are MANY breeds in her genetics stop me from even bothering to guess.

Yet everyone is so caught up in labels that they cannot take "Mixed breed" for an answer. We are out walking and someone will comment on how lovely she is and asks, "What breed is she?", I reply with "She is a mixed breed dog"...."Yes, but what breeds?" "Mixed of unknown origins" "Yeah but what kinds...". It is bizarre and can go around and around in circles, most people simply cannot take "Mixed breed" for an answer even though it is the most accurate I can give.

Many people believe that their BYB dogs are purebred. The amount of times I have seen someone claiming that their dog or puppies are purebred when you can clearly tell that they are NOT is astronomical. Seen it in Rotties, Neo Mastiffs, Mastiffs, Dobermans, Staffords, Amstaffs, Cavs, Poodles, Chihuahuas... the list is endless. How are we to know that the owners of these three dogs didn't truly believe that they were Staffies, or that their breed was predominantly staffy? They do appear to be Stafford CROSSES and given the huge numbers of "purebred" staffies being BYB, quite often crossed with Amstaffs, the breed confusion is understandable. I have seen people actually advertising pups as PUREBRED Staffies and going on to state that they are bred from "purebred (unpapered I would assume)" SBT mother and a purebred Amstaff father and so therefore they are still "Purebred" Staffies :confused: . It defies logic and yet people, who do not educate themselves further, believe it.

Yes these dogs looked too tall to be SBT but at the same time they looked to short to be Amstaffs.

This thread has been very educational and I enjoyed reading the advice on how to intervene in a dog fight and/or protect yourself and your dogs. Very enlightening.

NO dear to save your fragile sensibilities they are hence forth to be described as chihuahua crosses.

So?

Has anyone contstructive ideas what do we do we need to carry on our person when bluff doesnt work and the attack is in earnest, what do you do next, if we are caught alone with no outside help forthcomming, when these chi x'breds like the ones in the video, or the mega bulk ones that took the jogger down, dont back off and wont let go.

shrug.gif You're the one intent on labels.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://media.theage....gs-4477909.html

:( oh dear where did the vet get her "lock jaw" info from.

:swear: Idiot. What hope have we got when supposed experts don't even know what they're on about?

Were did you get that the vet said 'lock jaw' from? She certainly did not use that term during this interview. The journo said 'lock jaw'.

Absolutely correct. However, on the Seven News Melbourne report, the same Dr Sharee Maas states @ 1'19'' 's/he had a lock jaw so he wasn't going to move his head off that dog. I managed to get a vein and anaesthetise that dog'.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/latest/a/-/article/17536298/two-women-mauled-in-dog-attacks/

Just saying.

I just love your thinking.

Discuss the correct use of the wording.

Completely ignore the fact the bloody dog still had hold of its victum and wouldnt let go until it was knocked unconsious be it by caving its head in with a hammer as happened in a previous case, or in this case a vet was handy to knock it out by injection. Or in the case in England 23 knife wounds later and dying. It still didnt let go until it was unconsious for god's sake

Not even interfering humans around it nor the needle being inserted distracted it from its purpose.

You people amaze me.

What words wont cause you so much distress?

Edited by inez

1370920114[/url]' post='6224172']
1370920021[/url]' post='6224169']
1370916796[/url]' post='6224102']

Just love the way the owners of these dogs prefer to call their darlings "staffies" instead of Pitties.

I would be making a bet, those mutts are the product of the thousands of invisible breeders with goodness knows what behind them

So you yourself admit that there is "goodness knows what" breeds mixed in there and yet you will state that they are Pitties? Seems pretty bizarre logic.

Why are people so caught up in labeling breeds? As if suddenly knowing what breed the dog MIGHT be will shed light on everything? I have a mixed breed dog, adopted as a puppy from the RSPCA as a Staffy cross. She is now above knee height, has a high waist tuck and is gawd knows what breed mixes. There are so many possible breed mixes that MAY make up her looks. She could be a small "bull arab" mix, an Amstaff X Whippet, a dalmation x staffy... the list goes on and the likelyhood that there are MANY breeds in her genetics stop me from even bothering to guess.

Yet everyone is so caught up in labels that they cannot take "Mixed breed" for an answer. We are out walking and someone will comment on how lovely she is and asks, "What breed is she?", I reply with "She is a mixed breed dog"...."Yes, but what breeds?" "Mixed of unknown origins" "Yeah but what kinds...". It is bizarre and can go around and around in circles, most people simply cannot take "Mixed breed" for an answer even though it is the most accurate I can give.

Many people believe that their BYB dogs are purebred. The amount of times I have seen someone claiming that their dog or puppies are purebred when you can clearly tell that they are NOT is astronomical. Seen it in Rotties, Neo Mastiffs, Mastiffs, Dobermans, Staffords, Amstaffs, Cavs, Poodles, Chihuahuas... the list is endless. How are we to know that the owners of these three dogs didn't truly believe that they were Staffies, or that their breed was predominantly staffy? They do appear to be Stafford CROSSES and given the huge numbers of "purebred" staffies being BYB, quite often crossed with Amstaffs, the breed confusion is understandable. I have seen people actually advertising pups as PUREBRED Staffies and going on to state that they are bred from "purebred (unpapered I would assume)" SBT mother and a purebred Amstaff father and so therefore they are still "Purebred" Staffies :confused: . It defies logic and yet people, who do not educate themselves further, believe it.

Yes these dogs looked too tall to be SBT but at the same time they looked to short to be Amstaffs.

This thread has been very educational and I enjoyed reading the advice on how to intervene in a dog fight and/or protect yourself and your dogs. Very enlightening.

NO dear to save your fragile sensibilities they are hence forth to be described as chihuahua crosses.

So?

Has anyone contstructive ideas what do we do we need to carry on our person when bluff doesnt work and the attack is in earnest, what do you do next, if we are caught alone with no outside help forthcomming, when these chi x'breds like the ones in the video, or the mega bulk ones that took the jogger down, dont back off and wont let go.

shrug.gif You're the one intent on labels.

Is it safe to call it a dog then?

What can you cope with?

What people don't seem to be noting here is the fact that these attacks - and the chances of being attacked in this way - are actually pretty rare...

This is not necessarily a daily occurrence, and so, arming yourselves when venturing outside your homes in order to ward off a possible dog attack seems pretty OTT.

Really - your chances of being hit by a car whilst crossing the road are actually higher than the chance of being attacked by roaming "pitbulls".

inez - is it at all possible that some of your thoughts/feelings on this particular topic stem from your own recent attack experience, rather than any evidence to the contrary? (I'm not meaning to be nasty here, just asking a question to clarify why you hold the stance that you do)

T.

I agree.

Really, when you think about how many dogs are in the country compared to the amount of serious incidents that actually happen, it isn't a great deal.

This doesn't excuse it of course, but I do think people can get a bit hysterical about it being a bigger problem than it is.

I'd be more worried about getting attacked by a person out on the street, and I would say that the amount of serious attacks on people by other people, greatly outweighs the amount of attacks by dogs.

Edited by Aussie3

:swear: Idiot. What hope have we got when supposed experts don't even know what they're on about?

Were did you get that the vet said 'lock jaw' from? She certainly did not use that term during this interview. The journo said 'lock jaw'.

Absolutely correct. However, on the Seven News Melbourne report, the same Dr Sharee Maas states @ 1'19'' 's/he had a lock jaw so he wasn't going to move his head off that dog. I managed to get a vein and anaesthetise that dog'.

http://au.news.yahoo...in-dog-attacks/

Just saying.

Completely ignore the fact the bloody dog still had hold of its victum and wouldnt let go until it was knocked unconsious be it by caving its head in with a hammer as happened in a previous case, or in this case a vet was handy to knock it out by injection. Or in the case in England 23 knife wounds later and dying. It still didnt let go until it was unconsious for god's sake

Not even interfering humans around it nor the needle being inserted distracted it from its purpose.

You people amaze me.

Accurate ones.

Just saying.

You people amaze me.

Accurate ones.

How are you going to define "accurate".

What words can you cope with to describe a mammal that does not let go the attacked even while the sedation needle is being inserted and is still hanging on until rendered unconsious?

Just saying.

You people amaze me.

Accurate ones.

What words can you cope with to describe a mammal that does not let go the attacked even while the sedation needle is being inserted and is still hanging on until rendered unconsious?

A dog.

Just saying.

You people amaze me.

Accurate ones.

A dog.

Ha so the public thinks the vet simply attacked the "dog" with the injection and rendered it unconsious for no valid reason other than it was a dog?

Then why didnt she knock out both instead of only one?

Joe public would very curious to know the answer to that one.

Just saying.

You people amaze me.

Accurate ones.

A dog.

Ha so the public thinks the vet simply attacked the "dog" with the injection and rendered it unconsious for no valid reason other than it was a dog?

Then why didnt she knock out both instead of only one?

Joe public would very curious to know the answer to that one.

You're just ranting now.

Were you "ranting" when you made that comment?

It did appear you did not like the term used. So to ask what term is acceptable to you does not elicit a reply as to what is.

Can you only find the word "dog" or "ranting" in your dictionary?

Edited by inez

Inez- You need to take a step away and regain some perspective. You are just trolling now, making bugger all sense and bringing absolutely nothing constructive to the discussion.

You want to live your life being scared of every "bull breed mix" you come across, be my guest, but your obvious hysteria surrounding these dogs is much more likely to make you the victim of an attack then keeping calm and simply dealing with whatever situation you MAY (possibly never) find yourself in.

Were you "ranting" when you made that comment?

It did appear you did not like the term used. So to ask what term is acceptable to you does not elicit a reply as to what is.

Can you only find the word "dog" or "ranting" in your dictionary?

:laugh: I already said accuracy is important. There is no such thing as lock jaw.

Edited by Aussie3

Inez- You need to take a step away and regain some perspective. You are just trolling now, making bugger all sense and bringing absolutely nothing constructive to the discussion.

You want to live your life being scared of every "bull breed mix" you come across, be my guest, but your obvious hysteria surrounding these dogs is much more likely to make you the victim of an attack then keeping calm and simply dealing with whatever situation you MAY (possibly never) find yourself in.

Gee you assumed a lot.

I did not end up in hospital and on morphine for two weeks from being attacked by any dog that looked even minutely like the ones being shown in the videos, all large mammals over a pivotal weight can do enormous damage. I can now manage daytime on just Panedine Forte, although my doctors would prefer I used Nerfen forte, but no way I can sleep without Endone much as I hate taking it. So the damage unfortunately isnt just in my mind as I so wish it was just overactive imagination.

Its the way those who happen to be unfortunate enough that their pet looks like the ones in the video's that are so vehemetly defending each and every one that looks like theirs because they feel their pet is threatened.

Wake up. Your dog is at home. Its not the mutt in the video.

Attacking the papers or the press reporters, or the video makers as villifiying their loved breed dog, isnt going to do much besides word fights.

Is it?

If a mass murderer is arrested and is a dead spit for your husband, wife, or child?

Are you going to attack any one who might find the real killer deserves conviction and sentencing because you loved one might also be arrested and sentenced for looking like the real killer? The real killer must go free to protect your look alike family member?

Because that is what you are doing even if you do not realise it.

Edited by inez

Before ANKC's arrived the men and women who left us the legacy of all this different breeds created them by a process called culling.

No dog that did not fit their idea of what they believed they wanted was culled. Be it given away as a pet or killed.

Poor temprement usually had only one end, killed.

Now of course poor temprement is an entire industry of animal behavourists and temprement modification instead.

Since this is now the reality, what once never got the chance to make headlines like these IS going to be the norm.

Regardless of breed or heinz 57 as they were called when I was a kid.

If it got out and was dangerous it was shot.

Most of the time it was the breeder or the owner who made the call rather than risk their neighbours or their children. But then everyone knew everyone in the neighbourhood and cared about them.

Not so today. Many peoplle now dont even know their neighbours name.

Wow, how do these threads become so bizarre?

Because someone started this thread and put a link with a photo and a news report.

To which many here find the words uses highly inappropriate.

Then of course and idiot like me asked what words are approprite.

To which all the replies seem to be restricted to "ranting" and now "Bizarre"

Whatever happened to the art of debate?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/latest/a/-/article/17536298/two-women-mauled-in-dog-attacks/

Just saying.

You people amaze me.

Thank you. I'm only too happy to spread the love.

I don't quite understand the phrase you use 'you people amaze me'.

What 'people'?

I'm only one person. Yet you directed 'you people' at me? Hmmmm... go figure, I'm at a loss.

Nothing has distressed me whatsoever - in answer to your last sentence.

Just saying.

You people amaze me.

What 'people'?

I'm only one person. Yet you directed 'you people' at me? Hmmmm... go figure, I'm at a loss.

I tend to think three out of four who found the words used unacceptable constitutes using the plural.

Still waiting for an answer instead of more questions though.

Edited by inez

Just saying.

You people amaze me.

What 'people'?

I tend to think three out of four who found the words used unacceptable constitutes using the plural.

Still waiting for an answer instead of more questions though.

Would you then, please do me the courtesy of not including me in the plural, particularly when addressing them as 'you people'.

I merely posted a link which confirmed something someone else had said, that is all. Hence why I wrote - just saying.

My opinion on the whole incident is my own, and I prefer to keep it that way. So if you're asking me individually for an answer, I'm afraid I'm abstaining. Cheers.