Yet Another Attack

dancinbcs

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What people don't seem to be noting here is the fact that these attacks - and the chances of being attacked in this way - are actually pretty rare...

This is not necessarily a daily occurrence, and so, arming yourselves when venturing outside your homes in order to ward off a possible dog attack seems pretty OTT.

Really - your chances of being hit by a car whilst crossing the road are actually higher than the chance of being attacked by roaming "pitbulls".

inez - is it at all possible that some of your thoughts/feelings on this particular topic stem from your own recent attack experience, rather than any evidence to the contrary? (I'm not meaning to be nasty here, just asking a question to clarify why you hold the stance that you do)

T.

I agree.

Really, when you think about how many dogs are in the country compared to the amount of serious incidents that actually happen, it isn't a great deal.

This doesn't excuse it of course, but I do think people can get a bit hysterical about it being a bigger problem than it is.

I'd be more worried about getting attacked by a person out on the street, and I would say that the amount of serious attacks on people by other people, greatly outweighs the amount of attacks by dogs.

I guess it depends on where you live but the reason I do not walk my dogs around the local streets is because of the sheer number of off lead roaming dogs, the vast majority of which happen to be bull breeds. Unfortunately because these dogs are rarely under control, they are also involved in the majority of attacks in the local area. By attacks I mean attacks on other dogs, and less frequently people. Some of these attacks have resulted in the death of the other dog.

Such serious incidents don't happen here on a daily basis, and when they do they are often not reported to council for various reasons, but they happen often enough to make me very wary of where I walk my dogs. Even when walking at the park, I sometimes carry something with me to ward off roaming (or I should say, charging) dogs. It's not hysteria, and it's certainly not OTT. It's about minimising risk, which shouldn't be necessary at all, but unfortunately it is.

I hope the victims of the attack in Boronia are able to recover physically and emotionally.

http://media.theage....gs-4477909.html

:( oh dear where did the vet get her "lock jaw" info from.

:swear: Idiot. What hope have we got when supposed experts don't even know what they're on about?

Were did you get that the vet said 'lock jaw' from? She certainly did not use that term during this interview. The journo said 'lock jaw'.

Absolutely correct. However, on the Seven News Melbourne report, the same Dr Sharee Maas states @ 1'19'' 's/he had a lock jaw so he wasn't going to move his head off that dog. I managed to get a vein and anaesthetise that dog'.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/latest/a/-/article/17536298/two-women-mauled-in-dog-attacks/

Just saying.

Ta.

If they had gone the other way they would easily have reached the area that I walk in.

I find it rather sad that they had dug through the wet concrete to get out. Sad for the owners who had obviously tried to fix the problem.

What people don't seem to be noting here is the fact that these attacks - and the chances of being attacked in this way - are actually pretty rare...

This is not necessarily a daily occurrence, and so, arming yourselves when venturing outside your homes in order to ward off a possible dog attack seems pretty OTT.

Really - your chances of being hit by a car whilst crossing the road are actually higher than the chance of being attacked by roaming "pitbulls".

inez - is it at all possible that some of your thoughts/feelings on this particular topic stem from your own recent attack experience, rather than any evidence to the contrary? (I'm not meaning to be nasty here, just asking a question to clarify why you hold the stance that you do)

T.

I agree.

Really, when you think about how many dogs are in the country compared to the amount of serious incidents that actually happen, it isn't a great deal.

This doesn't excuse it of course, but I do think people can get a bit hysterical about it being a bigger problem than it is.

I'd be more worried about getting attacked by a person out on the street, and I would say that the amount of serious attacks on people by other people, greatly outweighs the amount of attacks by dogs.

I guess it depends on where you live but the reason I do not walk my dogs around the local streets is because of the sheer number of off lead roaming dogs, the vast majority of which happen to be bull breeds. Unfortunately because these dogs are rarely under control, they are also involved in the majority of attacks in the local area. By attacks I mean attacks on other dogs, and less frequently people. Some of these attacks have resulted in the death of the other dog.

Such serious incidents don't happen here on a daily basis, and when they do they are often not reported to council for various reasons, but they happen often enough to make me very wary of where I walk my dogs. Even when walking at the park, I sometimes carry something with me to ward off roaming (or I should say, charging) dogs. It's not hysteria, and it's certainly not OTT. It's about minimising risk, which shouldn't be necessary at all, but unfortunately it is.

I hope the victims of the attack in Boronia are able to recover physically and emotionally.

No that is not hysterical. I know the problem is bad, my area is shocking too. Some people do get a bit carried away though.

If you live in an area with roaming and aggressive dogs, then maybe they should be reported more often... it makes no sense to constantly be afraid to walk your own dogs without being worried about incidents with roaming dogs.

If people reported these things every time they happened, then maybe the powers that be would be spurred into action, and possibly act to reduce the problem. No reports equate to no problems as far as they are concerned...

T.

Every time my on lead dogs have been atttacked on a walk I have reported it.

3 out of 4 times I didn't know where the dogs lived as they had no owner with them or the owner ran off, and I was told there was nothing they could do, they were not even interested. The worst occurred on a Sunday and they laughed at my suggestion a ranger try and find the two dogs running loose.

The fourth time the dog burst out if its front door to run across the road and attack my dog walking past on the opposite footpath. They said for that one they would send a letter reminding the owner of the importance of keeping their dog on their property, as I had an address. The only reason we were not injured in that one was the kindness of a passing tradie who pulled over and got the dog off, it was a vicious unprovoked attack.

Hardly worth reporting the loose dogs that don't attack when even serious incidents are of little interest.

The best course is to keep reporting the incidents - if council won't listen, make a report to the police... at least that way, if/when there is a major incident, the dogs have a history that can be taken into account when fining the owners.

T.

Inez- You need to take a step away and regain some perspective. You are just trolling now, making bugger all sense and bringing absolutely nothing constructive to the discussion.

You want to live your life being scared of every "bull breed mix" you come across, be my guest, but your obvious hysteria surrounding these dogs is much more likely to make you the victim of an attack then keeping calm and simply dealing with whatever situation you MAY (possibly never) find yourself in.

I just ignore inez now, he/she has repeatedly pointed out that he/she is dosed on Endone and clearly not in a healthy state of mind.

To be frank I believe it may be best for his/her state of mind to stay away from these topics for a while since he/she continues to write themselves into a state of hysteria each time a topic like this comes up.

We might be doing inez a favour by simply ignoring their deranged rantings and once they come back to themselves they may realize that Ednone is addictive and not good for them......

ETA: I also believe it may have been a Neo that attacked him/her but I could be wrong. It is so hard to make sense of their posts, it is easier to just skip them I find.

Edited by BlackJaq

http://media.theage....gs-4477909.html

:( oh dear where did the vet get her "lock jaw" info from.

:swear: Idiot. What hope have we got when supposed experts don't even know what they're on about?

Were did you get that the vet said 'lock jaw' from? She certainly did not use that term during this interview. The journo said 'lock jaw'.

Were you "ranting" when you made that comment?

It did appear you did not like the term used. So to ask what term is acceptable to you does not elicit a reply as to what is.

Can you only find the word "dog" or "ranting" in your dictionary?

:laugh: I already said accuracy is important. There is no such thing as lock jaw.

maybe a definition is accurate enough for you?

lock 1 (lk)

n.

1. A device operated by a key, combination, or keycard and used, as on a door, for holding, closing, or securing.

2. A section of a waterway, such as a canal, closed off with gates, in which vessels in transit are raised or lowered by raising or lowering the water level of that section.

3. A mechanism in a firearm for exploding the charge.

4. An interlocking or entanglement of elements or parts.

a. Sports A hold in wrestling or self-defense that is secured on a part of an opponent's body.

b. A secure hold; control: The distributor has a lock on most of the market.

c. A sure thing; a certainty: His promotion is a lock.

v. locked, lock·ing, locks

v.tr.

a. To fasten the lock of: close and lock a drawer.

b. To shut or make secure with or as if with locks: locked the house.

2. To confine or exclude by or as if by means of a lock: locked the dog in for the night; locked the criminal up in a cell.

3. To fix in place so that movement or escape is impossible; hold fast: The ship was locked in the ice through the winter. She felt that she had become locked into a binding agreement.

a. To sight and follow (a moving target) automatically: locked the enemy fighter in the gun sights.

b. To aim (a weapon or other device) at a moving target so as to follow it automatically: "The pilot had locked his targeting radar on the slow-moving frigate" (Ed Magnuson).

5. To engage and interlock securely so as to be immobile.

6. To clasp or link firmly; intertwine: locked arms and walked away.

7. To bind in close struggle or battle: The two dogs were locked in combat.

sounds to me like if the dog had a secure hold on the person and could not be removed to say it had its jaw locked on is pretty accurate? wouldn't you?

The idea that bull breeds have lock jaw is not correct.

Studies have shown other breeds have higher bite pressure than bull breeds so to make out as if there is something different about a bull breeds jaw is incorrect.

I don't care what each actual word means, we all know we're talking about a myth, a belief that there is something different about the way a bull breeds jaw works.

This is not correct. That's all I'm saying on the matter, I don't need to defend science against raving lunatics on a dog forum.

The idea that bull breeds have lock jaw is not correct.

Studies have shown other breeds have higher bite pressure than bull breeds so to make out as if there is something different about a bull breeds jaw is incorrect.

I don't care what each actual word means, we all know we're talking about a myth, a belief that there is something different about the way a bull breeds jaw works.

This is not correct. That's all I'm saying on the matter, I don't need to defend science against raving lunatics on a dog forum.

i am pointing out the accuracy of the description that the dogs jaw was locked on to something, people on here were demanding accuracy. So for you to say "I don't care what each actual word means" may well be part of the issue. Rather than choosing words, descriptions, theories and ideas that suit you and representing them as FACT. Maybe you should take more care about what each ACTUAL word means. Maybe then you wouldn't be attacking someone that took the time to respect the english language enough to acknowledge what the words actually mean.

It's not science, it's english. The dogs jaws could not be removed from their hold, ergo by definition they were locked on.

Simples!

The best course is to keep reporting the incidents - if council won't listen, make a report to the police... at least that way, if/when there is a major incident, the dogs have a history that can be taken into account when fining the owners.

T.

I don't think we live in the same world, if you think the Police here are interested in dogs attacking dogs in the street. I can't imagine them even taking a report unless a person is seriously injured.

Nor could any of my reports make a difference to a fine, unless I had concrete evidence of the identity of the dog, and even with an address that can be disputed.

I would like to see a return to the old days of rangers patrolling the streets and impounding every loose dog they see - I can dream.

Edited by Diva

Guest Clover

T.

I don't know how "rare" these types of attacks are. In the last 8 months I watched on as I thought my young dog was going to be killed by a generic brindle mutt (after my attempts of kicking it off didn't work). Then just recently being charged at by another dog lose in its un fenced front yard. It may be over the top but I am now afraid to walk my dogs, and most certainly won't walk the streets.

The first attack was reported and nothing ever got done about it. Most councils are useless.

It looks to me that if owners/supporters of bull breeds can't even convince people on this forum without being abusive and rude, there is no chance in hell they can convince general public. I am just glad I don't have any of those breeds.

It looks to me that if owners/supporters of bull breeds can't even convince people on this forum without being abusive and rude, there is no chance in hell they can convince general public. I am just glad I don't have any of those breeds.

The first off lead dog that attacked my Kenny was a poodle, lucky for it that he wasn't aggressive & just knocked it down & held it by the throat, until the idiot owner stopped screaming & put it on lead. Her dog was totally unharmed, it didn't stop her abusing me for having one of "those dogs" out in public. The owners of the next two off lead dogs that attacked him did the same. OH & the last dog that attacked him, sent me to hospital, requiring me to get over 20 stitches in my leg, strangely that incident didn't make the news.

It annoys the crap out of me, that those three attacks, turned my sweet boy into a FA dog, who I was too scared to walk before 10pm. So sorry if I get bloody angry at people always blaming Bull Breeds, especially on a supposed dog lovers forum. :mad

The first off lead dog that attacked my Kenny was a poodle, lucky for it that he wasn't aggressive & just knocked it down & held it by the throat, until the idiot owner stopped screaming & put it on lead. Her dog was totally unharmed, it didn't stop her abusing me for having one of "those dogs" out in public. The owners of the next two off lead dogs that attacked him did the same. OH & the last dog that attacked him, sent me to hospital, requiring me to get over 20 stitches in my leg, strangely that incident didn't make the news.

It annoys the crap out of me, that those three attacks, turned my sweet boy into a FA dog, who I was too scared to walk before 10pm. So sorry if I get bloody angry at people always blaming Bull Breeds, especially on a supposed dog lovers forum. :mad

Look, I understand where you are coming from. But angry reactions are not going to help anyone. Not the least the breed of dogs you love. Getting public and media to change opinion, which I am sure you know would be extremely hard, would take very, very smart and rational approach.

It does seem that some posts are aiming just to provoke, but getting angry and posting something you normally would not have is not the way. This, of course is just my opinion and you are all free to do whatever you want. As I said before, I and many other may support the cause, but angry, rude and/or abusive posts will quickly see people go away.