Wanted - Therapy Dog Visits

Erny

As per the title, Aged Care facility (non-profit) is seeking the services of Therapy Dog Visits on a volunteer basis.

At this stage, there is no funding available for this service and consequently, whilst a qualified therapy dog and handler would be required, we are looking for voluntary assistance in this regard. No offence is intended by this admittedly bold request.

The Aged Care facility is located in the south-east suburb of Berwick, Victoria.

Any person and dog qualified for these visits who would like to donate a bit of their time to putting some smiles on the faces and minds of the elderly who occupy the nursing home, please contact me by email at [email protected] .

Thanks in advance. I know it is a bit of a tall order.

Edited by Erny

If I was closer I'd do this in a heart beat!

I'm sure you might find someone who has a qualified dog with an organisation who is willing to give up a bit of their time.

I know with Delta accredited therapy dogs they cannot go into a facility as a "Delta Dog" if the facility is not on board with Delta, but can visit unofficially (out of uniform) I do it with my girls who are accredited and also my boys who are not to where my MIL is in a care facility here in the the town where I live.

I guess the only downside is if something happened for example the dog bit or scratched a resident causing harm the facility would have to wear the cost.

Edited by tlc

You can have your own dog tested through Lort Smith Erny, and then do visits. Or if you have a good dog and handler from your business that was keen you could send them to be tested.

Alternatively send an email through to Lort Smith and see if there is someone available out that way.

Fergus passed the delta test Erny, but we didn't proceed for a number of reasons. That said, I do wonder if he is a bit "soft"/submissive for this kind of role? I know some people can be unintentionally rough.

Have you contacted the Dogs Victoria Pets as Therapy co-ordinator? the contact is on the website. I have 2 Dogs Victoria certified dogs and visit a local Nursing Home, the residents love having poodle visits. Berwick is a bit far for me to travel.

Just wanted to say what a fabulous initutive Erny :thumbsup:

Wishing you great success, the residents will be thrilled with such an opportunity.

I know I would not ever be able to live without a special relationship with dogs, regardless of my age or circumstance.

Have you contacted the Dogs Victoria Pets as Therapy co-ordinator? the contact is on the website. I have 2 Dogs Victoria certified dogs and visit a local Nursing Home, the residents love having poodle visits. Berwick is a bit far for me to travel.

I agree, contact Nicky Abell - the dogs are covered by Insurance as they are Dogs Vic members.

Quite a few dogs passed last Thursday night.

I have two myself but sadly have no time at the moment.

Thanks everybody, for your helpful responses :thumbsup:

Megan - I'm not sure how Fergs would be. Some people may seem a bit over the top for him and this may worry him a bit. But he's a grand little dog, is Fergs :).

Thank you to those who have mentioned the DogsVictoria option. I didn't know that was a service available and I'll organise to contact them.

Dyzney - If your friend is interested, please ask her to email me direct at [email protected] as the PM box gets full quickly and I often go a day or two before I remember to get back on to check it. ETA: Email received from your friend, Dyzney - thanks :thumbsup:

My boy wouldn't be suitable. He's too exuberant and his long, skinny, boney, whacky waggy tail would cause some bruises if not have people on their butts. He's not exactly the shy, gentle, retiring type of dog, even though he's a good dog character-wise.

Edited by Erny

Have you contacted the Dogs Victoria Pets as Therapy co-ordinator? the contact is on the website.

All the way from Q'ld, I admire the Dogs Vic Pet Therapy program.

I first heard of them when the co-ordinator was being interviewed on Radio National. I believe that her Rottie was part of it. When the interviewer expressed surprise at that .... the co-ordinator gave a brief account of how her 'show' Rotties were bred & raised so that they are lovely dogs with people. She said her pet therapy Rottie was still being shown.... & the residents of the nursing home were delighted when he came in with any ribbons he'd just won. That lady was a fantastic public voice for purebred dogs & for pet therapy.

Hope you find just what you need, Erny. Great to see a request for pet therapy. :thumbsup:

Edited by mita

Thanks Sue & Waldo. I've mentioned Lort Smith as an option, but I've also given them Dyzney's friend's information. Next step is Manager level to get the "ok".

Appreciate everyone's input. As I suspect the residents also will, when visitations include dogs especially for the purpose :D.