South Plympton Sa

Hi DOLers,

We have recently moved to South Plympton (SA).

I am wanting a few recommendations for the area, I am fairly familiar with the area as my mum lives in Morphettville, however need some DOL help to find the right places.

Looking for a place that sells dog meat/bones- specifically lamb, turkey and roo.

Also need a groomer- he gets groomed only once every couple of months however does get quite excited and is a large dog so we need someone experienced with large breeds.

I know the Oaklands dog park is close by- unsure on what peoples experiences of this place are? We generally avoid dog parks from bad experiences but keen to hear opinions.

We will continue to use our vet in Mt Barker (Dr Ashley) however vet recommendations nearby would be good.

ALSO where do people do their human food shopping? We personally like woolworths but finding one seems to be difficult all we seem to find are coles and foodland :laugh:

There is a Petstock just up South Road in Melrose Park. Across the road from that and a bit further back towards Plympton is a great place called the Meat Market - I haven't personally got bones or dog meat from there but I'm sure they would sell it - they have a huge range, order stuff in if it is not in stock and are pretty cheap too.

Closest Woolworths would either be Glenelg or Mitcham.

There's olivers for pet supplies on Morphett road opposite morphetville race course, I turn right out of Bray street and it's right there. Unfortunately, I'm usually doing that on the way to the beach in the very early morning so it's usually shut.

I like the foodland at Henley just north of Main Street Henley Square between Seaview and Military road. They have under cover parking off Military road, and the first 2 hours are free.

There is a big shopping centre on Anzac Highway, north west corner of Marion road but that has coles. In that same block behind the coles is a pet supplies shop of some sort but I've never been in there.

I like Rural Pet meats on the South side of Port Road (going away from town) just before South Road. It's a tiny shop but has everything you need to make your own dog food.

I also like Gobels on the south side of Richmond Road, corner Aldridge terrace between Marion Road and South road. At least they have all sorts of good stuff, dog toys, dry dog food, roo jerky, cows hooves... and more local stuff (not imported from China).

I don't buy bones so don't know who sells them.

I avoid Oaklands Road because people don't watch their dogs, they don't pick up after them, you can't walk around without watching where you step, every single step and I think it sucks. But some people like it.

Except for a little bit of beach next to the Glenelg jetty, all the beaches are off lead all the time in winter, and in summer daylight savings - before 10am and after 8pm. My favourite beaches are West Beach (currently being buggered up by the sand carting mess) and Tennyson, but Brighton usually has some beach, and the bit behind the sewage and storm water treatment - south of the West Adelaide boat ramp (directly west of the airport) is dogs off lead all the time.

Woolworths - Glenelg or Unley but I don't know why you like them. I like foodland because they have the local stuff I like - especially the dairy.

There is a discount bulk butcher called "meat delights" on corner ballantyne and south road near Ashwin street opposite the football oval and near the brick works (which is being redevelopped by woolies) that has beef, lamb, poultry. Best to ring first and ask for what you want. They don't do pork at all (they have Halal on the door and are around the corner from a really nice lebanese bakery), and when I tried to get lamb chops instead they decribed them as "a bit warm", which I think they meant very fresh but I took to mean they didn't want to sell me anything. Might have been a good day to get offal - cos I only like that when it's from a same day kill. It's for human food. I don't tell butchers when I'm shopping for the dog because I don't want floor scrapings or GST.

I often make special trips to Adelaide Dog up Payneham road for roo ribbons and black hawk dog food. They also have supplies for making your own dog food.

And I have been known to visit the pet barn behind the BP service station and car wash on the South (port bound) side of Port Road left off Findon road and before the railway line and West lakes boulevard. They also have roo jerky, chuckit orange and blue balls - that don't fall to pieces when evil hound munches on them and they will get the black hawk if they don't have it already. They're a bit crap about phoning when orders come in though.

Wow thanks for the responses.

Special thanks to Mrs Rusty Bucket: I am gonna have to google most of those roads as I am a bit clueless but all sounds good. My Nanna has a shop at the brick works so we are there often, might check out that butcher. Handy to have it all their for me, will work on getting to all those places.

Anyone know a Groomer?

Thanks

Super Dog Boutique on Henley Beach Road

I also really like Pet Cafe on Port Rd, near the West Lakes Boulevard turnoff. Great range of stuff to browse through, and they have raw food (Dr Billinghurst and the Big Dog brand and others) to buy off the shelf.

Also there is a pet supplies and fodder store on richmond Road just up from Marion Road - Goble and Son. Good range of commercial pet foods, limited range of meats but they do have bones.

I find it easier to get bones from butchers mostly.

Pets Pantry at Warradale. They have good raw meat and bones, along with other food. They also do a good meatloaf wet food that they make themselves. They also have homemade dried liver etc.

They are on diagonal road.

I shop at Foodland Pasadena - I avoid marion at all costs.

Brighton Bead is good at this time of the year. Most people are friendly. The Oakland Road dog park is a disaster. I didn't have a bad experience, but I did witness one. I haven't been back.

Pets Pantry at Warradale. They have good raw meat and bones, along with other food. They also do a good meatloaf wet food that they make themselves. They also have homemade dried liver etc.

They are on diagonal road.

I shop at Foodland Pasadena - I avoid marion at all costs.

Brighton Bead is good at this time of the year. Most people are friendly. The Oakland Road dog park is a disaster. I didn't have a bad experience, but I did witness one. I haven't been back.

Second that for Glen and Pets Pantry ,

all their meatloafs are natural and no preservatives

the pet barn behind the BP service station

erm - this might actually be the pet café. I can't remember which is what. All I know is turn towards the Port from Findon Road, turn into the BP before the railway line / traffic lights, and drive through to the back and there's a wonderful pet supplies.

I think there is a woollies in the shopping centre on the Corner of Findon and Crittenden road. I like Rob's Fuels just up from that on the corner of Findon Road and Trimmer Parade - always the best price on Diesel and no worries about getting the wrong fuel handle (like woollies Caltex). They frequently have better prices than any Woolies / Coles.

But you can check best fuel price and where using motormouth.com.au - prices are accurate before lunch time and then it can go to hell in the afternoon. I also like the BP on Daws road between South Road and Marion Road.

I will have to check with one of my friends who lives on Edward Street Cumberland Park, she gets her dog washed by a guy named Ian - who owns a mobile pet wash and a GR called Yogi. But I looked up "affordable mobile dog wash" and it's in the right place but the owner's names don't match - hence the need to check. Olivers and Petstock have wash tubs where you can wash your dog yourself if you want to. I think there is a PetStock on Port Road too, a bit further towards the city than Findon Road, but on the same side (south side).

But you can check best fuel price and where using motormouth.com.au - prices are accurate before lunch time and then it can go to hell in the afternoon. I also like the BP on Daws road between South Road and Marion Road.

Thanks MRB- I didn't know about that website, will come in handy :)

Wow thanks for the responses.

My Nanna has a shop at the brick works so we are there often, might check out that butcher.

Thanks

Really good butcher on Theberton Road too near the Brickworks. Oganic meat & discount on bulk.