Titre Testing Costs

Guest Maeby Fünke

I pay $60 per dog to be tested for parvo and distemper, the blood is sent to WA. I don't know of anyone who has titred for hep, it hasn't been seen in aus for 30 years or something like that so they don't advise worrying about titre levels. Without exposure they would be expected to be quite low as the antibodies have never been needed.

Do you use Vetpath? My vet is in the process of getting a quote from them for a titre test.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pay $60 per dog to be tested for parvo and distemper, the blood is sent to WA. I don't know of anyone who has titred for hep, it hasn't been seen in aus for 30 years or something like that so they don't advise worrying about titre levels. Without exposure they would be expected to be quite low as the antibodies have never been needed.

Do you use Vetpath? My vet is in the process of getting a quote from them for a titre test.

If it wouldn't be so nosy would you mind sharing when you get it? We're thinking it's the way to go but having trouble with a suitable vet.

Just a tad cheaper than the $200 odd I got quoted and all our bloods go to Vetpath

Yes it was to Vetpath as far as I'm aware. Surely the courier cost can't be that much? :eek: Does that quote incorporate the vet consult fee? I didn't include that, as Bruno was already at the vet for MCT surgery and I asked them to take blood for titre testing at the same time.

Just a tad cheaper than the $200 odd I got quoted and all our bloods go to Vetpath

Yes it was to Vetpath as far as I'm aware. Surely the courier cost can't be that much? :eek: Does that quote incorporate the vet consult fee? I didn't include that, as Bruno was already at the vet for MCT surgery and I asked them to take blood for titre testing at the same time.

It included the Path fee, plus mark up, Collection fee, reporting/certificate fee and freight.

Guest Maeby Fünke

If it wouldn't be so nosy would you mind sharing when you get it? We're thinking it's the way to go but having trouble with a suitable vet.

No problem, it's not nosey. I was planning to anyway :)

Yes 4 months later and I still have not found a vet that will titre test at a decent price. I did get slightly excited when I rang one vet and they quoted me $68...but then the bubble burst when they then added there would be a consult fee of $70 plus freight costs which brought it up to around the $200 mark.

I officially give up!

Will just get my dogs re-vaccinated as per usual :(

Yes 4 months later and I still have not found a vet that will titre test at a decent price. I did get slightly excited when I rang one vet and they quoted me $68...but then the bubble burst when they then added there would be a consult fee of $70 plus freight costs which brought it up to around the $200 mark.

I officially give up!

It does even out fairly well as a triennial thing. Still, 200 is a big whack.

I'll have to check again which lab we went through... But my vet didn't seem familiar at all with the procedure. I ended up paying $250 + $83 for the consultation. It took more than 2 weeks for the results to come back (so I ended up having to board Will at the vet hospital, not the usual kennels)

I'd be keen to find another vet in Sydney who could do that for a more reasonable fee next time (especially as I'm considering getting Penny titre tested too)

I officially give up!

Even so the vets all recommend vaccinating EVERY year. So I start to get nervous when my dogs are way overdue and there is Parvo in the area. One does not know who to believe...the vets themselves or random people on a forum.

I officially give up!

Even so the vets all recommend vaccinating EVERY year. So I start to get nervous when my dogs are way overdue and there is Parvo in the area. One does not know who to believe...the vets themselves or random people on a forum.

What about titre triennially?

My vet is happy to vacc every 3. If you suggest it and they won't even consider it I'd be looking for a new vet personally!

Teela, you got me thinking about this too so I phoned my vet (in Glenelg) and they quoted $320!! I've got two dogs so over $600 bucks :eek:

I'm going to start ringing around, that is a total rip off.

Think I'll ring the lab in WA to ask who their vet clients are in Adelaide, that may be a good start in finding a reasonable vet/price.

Edited by wire

Both my vet in Qld and here in rural Vic were more than happy to set up an account at Vetpath so I could titer. Perhaps ask your vets if they will do the same (so much cheaper).

When I rang the vets I had all this info up on the screen right in front of me (about vetpath ect). I asked to talk to the actual vet rather than the receptionist and still got quoted the above prices.

My vet still insists they need vacc every year. Yes I may consider another vet Steph but there are only 3 vet clinics in my hometown.

Interesting that vets are recommending vaccinating every year! Certainly not my vet :-) Quarantine rely on titre testing for dogs going from Australia to England... Rabies shots then titre testing weeks later to check for antibodies. Good enough for me!

Google Jean Dodds

Interesting that vets are recommending vaccinating every year! Certainly not my vet :-) Quarantine rely on titre testing for dogs going from Australia to England... Rabies shots then titre testing weeks later to check for antibodies. Good enough for me!

Google Jean Dodds

Exactly!!!

My understanding is that if the vet has set up an account with vetpath it should be around the $60-70 mark, if they havrnt then its a lot more. I think its free to set up an account though...

DOLer stormie is much more knowledgeable on it all though. I was going to drive to Sydney to get her vet practice to test mine last time they needed it as it was going to work out cheaper than the vets in Canberra. Then another DOLer mentioned a holistic vet in Canberra that titres.

You may find that it works out cheaper to go to a different vet for the titre. I have never used my regular vet as it is too expensive and not worth the hassle of trying to change the opinion of a professional :) so I just go elsewhere to have the blood drawn.

Vetpath are very good, mine were done late Tuesday (7pm) and I had the results emailed to me by the vet by Saturday. Get the vet to request the levels though, they have started to just give a pass/fail type result which doesn't give a lot of info. Saying a dog has immunity could mean it is 1:5 (lower than I would like for show/performance dogs) or it could be >1:80 (which is as high as you can get). Knowing the actual level allows you to make a more informed decision about whether or not to revaccinate.