When Are You Too Sick To Have Dogs?

puddles

Seems this predicament is getting slightly worse.

It certainly does, and the ones who are going to suffer most are the animals. Naturally we all feel compassion for a young woman who has such dire health problems, but somehow she has to wake up to the fact that the best thing she can do for her animals is to rehome them.

How can you not have time for a cat.

She is obviously in deep deep denial.

Hi all,

I actually run charleville dog obedience and agility!

S

Well, further evidence that you are community minded people ... in that you care about the welfare of the dogs. :)

And good on you for continuing to suss out options.

My goodness.... the getting rid of one cat & now getting another ... really does show she doesn't join the dots.

One more idea.

Even tho' the RSPCA are not physically readily accessible, they do have a telephone HelpLine in Qld, staffed by people from their behaviour unit. Their focus is on pet behaviour and how human behaviour affects that. I've contacted them about a question, a while back. And was very impressed with their helpful attitude, support & information. Since then, I've passed on their contact phone no to others.

I'll PM you this HelpLine phone number. Could be useful to discuss the situation with them.

Edited by mita

I seriously think she doesn't realise she is dong anything wrong by them :(

And therein lies the biggest problem. She is very sick at a very young age and maybe feels a sense of entitlement because of it and just assumes that people should and will help :shrug:. Who knows? Sad for her and sad for the dogs.

I am a amputee and have chronic kidney disease and unfortunately had to down size from my heart breed to a smaller breed. Though I miss the bigger dogs I now realise that a smaller dog still offers all the companionship I require and is much less work. I do have family to help when I am in hospital etc but I take care of all his needs when I am at home.

I am a amputee and have chronic kidney disease and unfortunately had to down size from my heart breed to a smaller breed. Though I miss the bigger dogs I now realise that a smaller dog still offers all the companionship I require and is much less work. I do have family to help when I am in hospital etc but I take care of all his needs when I am at home.

And you are an exemplary example of recognising that your health considerations dictate what you can provide for your pet. :thumbsup: Well done. And you have family help which Puddles' lady doesn't have.

It must be so depressing to be chronically /seriously ill and living alone without a great support network . :(

I can understand why she feels a need to have other living beings in the home , and also how these very beings are causing her more stress :(

While it's probably in the dogs' interests to be rehomed , it will not help her situation ... I hope she can get some professional help from an attuned and pragmatic social worker /support person before someone decides to remove animals from her home .

but somehow she has to wake up to the fact that the best thing she can do for her animals is to rehome them.
<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);">

and this is possibly going to be the most difficult thing she will ever do ..and will not just 'happen'

It must be so depressing to be chronically /seriously ill and living alone without a great support network . :(

I can understand why she feels a need to have other living beings in the home , and also how these very beings are causing her more stress :(

While it's probably in the dogs' interests to be rehomed , it will not help her situation ... I hope she can get some professional help from an attuned and pragmatic social worker /support person before someone decides to remove animals from her home .

but somehow she has to wake up to the fact that the best thing she can do for her animals is to rehome them.

Agree.

Maybe the Lab would be suitable for the AQIS program? Or police sniffer dogs? At least then she would feel that the dog needed a job to do and that it wasn't getting that at her home.

The other option is to perhaps get it out through the NDTF and the Delta Society network, perhaps there is a trainer that requires a dog to work while they do their course, they could train it to do some assistance tasks and she could have the dog back in 12 months time...as an example.

At least then if her situation changes and gets worse - the dog will have had some obedience work put into it and be more re-homeable than it is now.

She obviously still needs the companionship. The smaller dog could stay, with perhaps some fence fixing. Feeding it whilst she is away could be as easy as giving it a few stuffed kongs, or in my case at the moment with a single dog at home, he eats out of a kong wobbler - keeps him occupied for ages!

I believe when you don't have time and energy to give your exercise, stimulation, discipline, affection and basic care it's a good idea to give up your dog. But hey, if someone doesn't want to. I won't force them.

Sometimes in chronic illness with or without family support a canine companion can be your world and keep you going. I had to move across the other side of the country to get my family support.

The difference here, PRADA68, is that you recognised what you needed to do, both for yourself and for your dogs and acted accordingly.

Yes unfortunately I think her situation is going to be a hard one to crack.... I told her some kids where I work will walk the pup for her. She'd have to pay but it's certainly a better option...

Anyways, she seems to think that 10 minute ball throwing is enough exercise for a young lab who has totally no manners.

Major face palm here.... Poor dog is all I can think....