Masking Odour

Does anyone have any ideas what I can put on a wool floor rug to stop my young boy from pooing on it. Thank goodness they are well formed and easy to pick up, but every now and then he goes on it. He has access to a doggie door but chooses to dump his load inside. The strange thing is that he doesn't wee indoors.

I suggest going back and doing toilet training .... supervised, and train him to toilet on command :) makes life a lot easier ..and using much priase/yummy treats , should not take long at all!

I also suggest closing th doggie door for a while while doing this ..he doesn't get indoor access until you see him poo , praise him for it and then have a mad play :)

For the rug .. is it able to be removed for a while ? While it is there, his toileting will be triggered by its presence, its texture on his feet and the retained scents.This 'trigger' needs now to be grass/a vocal command :)

begin by ..associating a word with toileting . pick a word you are happy to use in public ..and start saying it when he starts to toilet ..not loudly, or excitedly .. but as a command... followed by praise

The idea will catch on ..then say it as you see him think about toileting ..... then, when that seems to work ..<

start saying it when he goes near a place that encourages toileting , etc .... and eventually (within reason - they can't poo if there's nothing there) you will have a dog who can be asked to toilet in certain places, at certain times...or just generally ,when put outside ...

Edited by persephone

^^This.

We've basically had to start again with overnight toilet training for all four of ours, as they had free access to the house for about a year, and now that I've blocked up the doggy door (was sick and tired of all the mud, dirt, bones and grossness in the house) they've forgotten the concept of holding their bladders/bowels overnight. I've had to start feeding them earlier in the day and make sure they go outside to the toilet right before bed, but sometimes there are still accidents. Last night was a doozie, and Harley actually ended up sleeping outside because of it. I put them all out to toilet, let them in and went into my room for no more than 5 minutes, I come back out and Harley was backing one out on the kitchen tiles. :mad

Does he only go on the rug ?

One of my old girls never makes a mess but if I put a tiny rug down she poos on it too.

Possession, marking it hers for the others to get the message I guess.

If its just on the rug like mine does just don't have a rug.

Substrate preference -- he LIKES the rug as a poop depository. :(

Of course you have sprayed it with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle or UrineOFF or similar, but try changing the rug's scent profile by spraying it with essential oil diluted with water, you may need to experiment to find one that you like the smell of, but deters him. Try Tea Tree or Peppermint oil for starters.

Can't help you. Yesterday, I watched (fascinated and curious admittedly) while Bunter raced downstairs to wee and then raced upstairs to poop on the deck :confused::confused:

I have cheap mats from Bunnings on the deck at the doorways and once they have been pee'd on, no matter how much I wash/hose/tea tree spray/other spray/leave in baking sunshine, one of the dogs will continually pee on that mat. I don't bother to clean them now on the few occasions it happens. They just get binned.

Bit different with a wool run though. You may end up getting the smell out in terms of the human nose, but I doubt you'll ever succeed in disguising it from the doggy nose.

I apologize for my suggestion ...I mistakenly assumed it was intended for human noses.

I had a few "accidents" with my dogs when they arrived to live with us (none were housebroken, what didn't bother me at all). Persephone got it right from the beginning: toilet training is the key.

Thanks for all the suggestions which have been taken on board.

I think it's just pure laziness on his part. He is now 15 months old and took to the doggie door coming in very quickly, but for some reason would not use it to go out and no amount of coaxing worked. Then, one day when I gave them both a bone, and he wasn't ready to enjoy it, he hid it in the back garden, but when he saw his big 'brother' heading in the general direction of his prize, he bolted OUT of said doggie door, proving indeed that he can do it lol. The strange thing is that he poos only when we are home, not when we are out. I hasten to add I never make a fuss when I discover the deposit. I just clean it up without a word. I sprayed vinegar on the rug yesterday and maybe that and just being very vigilent with stop him using the rug. He is usually quick learner with other things and doesn't pee indoors.