Firming Up A Pups Stool

audreylesh

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most dogs will do well on a variety of diets, unless they have a specific problem or dietary need it is mostly owner preference and experimenting to see what works.

I have three dogs on dry food diets (one with renal failure on a special diet) and one on a homemade diet (who had his spleen removed). Personally I find the homemade diet to be a PITA and wish I could just feed him dry food instead (the vet recommended a dry food which was very expensive, couldn't put him back on the same food as the others, so I opted for homemade). Every circumstance is different.

I think what to do for your pup has already been well covered, and as far as that goes I would say the same thing - keep things bland, introduce new foods gradually, if worried try some mashed pumpkin to firm the stool (apparently it also works for constipation - a stool normaliser perhaps) and beneficial gut flora can be helped along by some yogurt or probiotic.

I'm a raw feeder and the bone content certainly helps with stool firmness :laugh: however just because that is what works for me does not mean it is the best choice for every other person - people do seem to get a bit 'evangelical' (not to mention heated) over dog diet :)

I usually give my boys chicken breast and pumpkin cooked and then mashed together with a little water or salt reduced chicken stock (usually water if they are a bit dehydrated or not drinking enough) ... feed this until the stools are firm for a day or two then gradually add their regular food to this with a little natural yoghurt.

Stress, change in diet, change in water etc all contribute ... take it slowly.

Might be a surprise to you Turka, but some dogs do terribly on a raw diet. My own boy was a prime example. Just because YOU think that you are doing the right thing doesn't mean it is the right thing for ALL dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

That's why a lot of people don't feed raw. They don't realise the dogs stomach ph is unable to handle raw. After they altered stomach ph with shitty dry food. Cooking and drying kills good bacteria and many other beneficial things.

What about a diet the way my mother Nature does it?

Apparently dogs eat the green matter inside the stomach of it's prey first then, offal and then meat and bone.

So when my pup arrives I will be feeding mince meat with added soaked wholemeal grains, vitamin suppliment powder and omega oils.

Read about how shit dry food really is!

It makes the stomach PH level completely out of balance and that's just one reason not to feed dry.

If I can do that without power and no fridge, just an esky and ice.

I'm sure you can do it much easier!

I have yet to read any scientific evidence that supports this assertion. In fact i've read plenty of evidence that suggests stomach contents are discarded.

The proposed diet for your pup is likely to have significant calcium and phosphorus imbalance issues. Either feed meat on the bone (eg. chicken wings) OR a balanced commerical diet OR both.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

:offtopic: apologies :o

That's why a lot of people don't feed raw. They don't realise the dogs stomach ph is unable to handle raw. After they altered stomach ph with shitty dry food. Cooking and drying kills good bacteria and many other beneficial things. Guess your dogs will suffer from your ignorance and laziness, what a shame.

turka ... whilst I respect the efforts you have made to learn about all this , I will say that your premise is not applicable to all dogs./situations.

I have had dogs for a half century , and have had long lived healthy dogs on both dry diets and raw diets

I do agree that much grain is not what dogs evolved to eat - however dogs' stomachs can and do adjust to digest most things. Our current pack gets fed whatever's available - a lot of raw fresh , often whole animals ... then they may get dry for weeks /months ... then maybe raw again ..or a mix of both ... They are working dogs, in a harsh climate , and have both excellent fitness and longevity , despite what the chemistry analysis says.

It is a rare occasion we get any stomach upsets ..I think last time was when my dog had hepatitis , about 15 years ago! Oh.. and some years after that with a dog ingesting a foreign body .

( thank heavens they cannot read! )

:)

Edited by persephone

What about a diet the way my mother Nature does it?

Apparently dogs eat the green matter inside the stomach of it's prey first then, offal and then meat and bone.

So when my pup arrives I will be feeding mince meat with added soaked wholemeal grains, vitamin suppliment powder and omega oils.

Read about how shit dry food really is!

It makes the stomach PH level completely out of balance and that's just one reason not to feed dry.

If I can do that without power and no fridge, just an esky and ice.

I'm sure you can do it much easier!

I have yet to read any scientific evidence that supports this assertion. In fact i've read plenty of evidence that suggests stomach contents are discarded.

The proposed diet for your pup is likely to have significant calcium and phosphorus imbalance issues. Either feed meat on the bone (eg. chicken wings) OR a balanced commerical diet OR both.

The stomach contents of the rumen /paunch/stomach is mostly all that is left after an animal has been consumed around here, anyway . By the time dogs/foxes/cats/raptors have eaten everything , there is either a neat dry mound of vegetable/fibrous matter left , or a little circular area of well-scratched around vegetable/fibrous matter .

That's why a lot of people don't feed raw. They don't realise the dogs stomach ph is unable to handle raw. After they altered stomach ph with shitty dry food. Cooking and drying kills good bacteria and many other beneficial things. Guess your dogs will suffer from your ignorance and laziness, what a shame.

Sorry, but this is not how stomach Ph works. You don't permanently alter a dog's stomach Ph with diet. It is what is is. What some combinations of food in the stomach can do is make a particular meal more or less digestible.

Accusing others of ignorance or laziness is no way to advocate for raw feeding. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that dogs can do well on either raw or commercial diets and frankly some do better on one than the other. And sometimes its the quality of either diet that makes the difference. Not all raw OR commerical diets are equal in nutritional value.

Unfounded assertions don't assist your case.

My boy is on a Raw diet, it works for him but not for all, my breeder had her dogs on this diet and I decided to keep with it, but again I think its not for every dog, some dogs have been on a particular diet for 2 maybe 3 generations and this will effect they way they digest food.

on topic though my boy had a problem with firmness for a week and I found that it was the meat, I switched to veal to add more fat to his diet and it was too rich for him, since i movd back to chicken mince and roo mince he has been good.

Also I found that as a intermediate helper bananas gave him a bit of immediate stiffness.

I bet you would not be healthy if you only ate dried and canned food. Same for dogs. Simple, yet you don't understand.

I certainly don't understand your position on a few issues. Where, for example, does your proposal to feed whole grains to your pup fit within your view that dogs should be fed as nature intended them to eat? :confused: