What Trick Are You Teaching Your Dog

Haha I'm teaching Jake Patty Cake. If you saw the little Yorkie video I laughed my head off at that and since its his job to amuse me thought he could give it a go. So far we have left and right claps and the two paw clap which has ended up very enthusiastic. He can't sit on his rear so he jumps up... brace yourself!

Would love to see a video :) Hankdog

Huski...is that like scent discrimination :confused: for tracking

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheena you can use it as a basis for scent discrim depending on what you select as the target odour. I always train with a bias towards obedience so the target odour is my scent but it could be anything.

We are playing around with scent tubes now which is very fun :) I want D not just to retrieve an article with my scent but to discriminate my scent from other odours including her reward odour (food)

Huski, that sounds like hard work, is it very difficult to teach ?

Yes and no, some dogs work it out faster than others, Daisy is a scent hound so loves using her nose and has done well with other scent exercises I've trained. It's not really hard work, but is very fun!

So we have hot a little roadblock. So far I've been giving a treat after each trick..,right paw treat...left paw treat....2 paws treat. Now I'd like to fade the treats but poor guy gets very confused. If I skip a treat he starts giving me random tricks, mostly the ones that never fail, go sleep or play dead. Any tips or just keep going.

So we have hot a little roadblock. So far I've been giving a treat after each trick..,right paw treat...left paw treat....2 paws treat. Now I'd like to fade the treats but poor guy gets very confused. If I skip a treat he starts giving me random tricks, mostly the ones that never fail, go sleep or play dead. Any tips or just keep going.

What you are teaching sounds a bit like my hip hop. I put her in a sit position facing me then raise my right leg, she raises her left paw, then I do my left leg, & she raises her right paw...a bit like marking time & I call it hip for her left leg & hop for her right leg, if you get what I mean. End result hopefully is that we can mark time till I stop. I would get, hip, hop, hip, then she would get up & start doing something different, but I have finally got it extended now to a couple of rounds. I started treating at random, sometimes after the first hip, then maybe after the second then back to first, then third etc, so she never knew when the treat was coming...does that make sense. :confused:

• 2 months later...

With all this talk of clicker training, I thought I would bump this thread up :) ATM I am clicker training my two to ride a skateboard. The goals I have set for them are completely different. With my girl, I am happy if she gets three legs on the board & stops it from tipping (4th leg is used for pushing eventually) & the young guy is getting rewarded for making the board move, then I will move on to three legs on, one off. They are doing it on the carpet so it doesn't run away on them :thumbsup: Anyone else taught the skateboard ????

Edited by sheena

She's going great Spotted Devil, & she is such a pretty dog. I must get my act together & video my pair. The young guy is doing well with the skateboard, but my girl gets a bit bored with it, so I just do a little bit then go onto doing things she knows. She is getting very good at standing on her back legs & even took a few steps backwards, last night on two legs. :thumbsup:

Great work TSD !!! She is a wonderfully smart girl. So enthusiastic :)

Sheena I would love to get my 2 started on a skateboard. Must have a look in our garage as I am sure we have an old one lying around somewhere. Your 2 sound like they are having a blast. Well done !! :)

Edited by BC Crazy

• 1 month later...

It's been raining here all day :thumbsup: & both kids are bored, so tonight I thought I would give it a go playing clicker games with the two of them together. To my surprise when I gave them a command with their name, each one did the trick in turn, then I would say "everybody" (do something) & the two would do it together. What surprised me the most is that one has been taught "back" & "close" while the other has been taught left & right, & when I would say "everybody back" they both spun to the left & vise versa. Even though the young guy has never been taught it as back & close he was doing it in unison with Bindi :laugh:

Teaching the "take a bow" :confused: progress is going slow as she keeps wanting to go into a drop. I am now sitting beside her & holding her rear end up while I lure her nose to the ground, then if she holds the position for a millesecond I click while she is in position & sometimes she will hold it for about 10 seconds with me clicking & treating the whole time. We are getting there, but progress is slow as she keeps wanting to drop. How have others taught the bow. :confused: or am I just being impatient.

With the bow a tip I picked up from DWD if your dog keeps wanting to do a drop is to sit on the ground with your legs bent, so your legs are forming sort of like an A-frame, if you can visualize it in your head. Then with your hand opposite from the dog lure their front end down underneath your knees so they sort of have to reach under your knees to get to the treat, like a bow. Click and treat as soon as they are in the right position.

Or, you could just loop a leash under their belly - don't hold them up, but just have it there as a barrier, and lure into the bow - click and treat.

The way I trained Breeze was to stand in front of her and dramatically bow with the treat in my hand luring her, she almost went into a drop the first time but I clicked and treated the milisecond before she dropped, so when her hind end was still standing but her front end had already gone down anticipating the drop. She pretty much understood what I wanted after doing it a few times and now has a beautiful bow... I just have to work on duration and distance.

Some good tips there to try...thanks guys. I am sure as soon as the light bulb goes on, she will be offering me bows all over the place. Every time she drops now, she immediately crosses her front legs, which always gets a few "Oh, isn't that cute", not sure if it would go down too well in an obedience competition though :laugh: