What Trick Are You Teaching Your Dog

I've started clicker training with Sarah, I find she gives up a bit easily though.

I have her sniffing the box as suggested in your training Sheena but I can't get her to move from that to pawing the box,

although I suspect her anxieties about new things may be a contributing factor.

It is pretty funny though, she sniffs the box then plants her bum on the ground and looks at me for a treat. If I don't click and treat after a few goes she seems to forget about the box altogether.

Whenever she sees me getting a treat she plants her bum and stares at me waiting which isn't great when I want her to stand so I make sure I have one in my hand ready :)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've started clicker training with Sarah, I find she gives up a bit easily though.

I have her sniffing the box as suggested in your training Sheena but I can't get her to move from that to pawing the box,

although I suspect her anxieties about new things may be a contributing factor.

It is pretty funny though, she sniffs the box then plants her bum on the ground and looks at me for a treat. If I don't click and treat after a few goes she seems to forget about the box altogether.

Whenever she sees me getting a treat she plants her bum and stares at me waiting which isn't great when I want her to stand so I make sure I have one in my hand ready :)

Keep your sessions really short..2 to 3 minutes at the max if she is getting bored & make sure you use the very best of yummy treats (pea size). If you want her to paw the box then look for any smallest movement in that direction & click & treat, then if she gets stuck, hold off till she offers you a bit more. If you don't want her to sit in front of the box then don't click it. If you want to end the session, call her back to you then get her to sit or do something she knows, click that & have a party & end of session. If you can end the session while she is still interested in the box, & click her while she is there & have your party, then next time she will probably only take a few clicks to get her back to where she left off. :) But make sure your treats are something she really likes & keep the sessions short. My guys would go all night, playing the game, if I let them, but your girl hasn't quite caught on yet. Oh...& always train when she is hungry :D

thanks Sheena. Helpful as always. I don't think the food is the problem, she's loves her cabana. She's possibly just getting a bit confused so I'll try and keep the sessions shorter :)

Oh and I'll probably end the sessions with a cuddle over a party, she's not too much of a party animal but loves a cuddle (from me anyway)

Only just found this thread! How is everyone going with their bowing training? I had a go under my knees as silentchild described and got my Wei to put her elbows on the ground and keep bum in the air in the first session just now. When she continued to hold the pose after a moment I just kept giving her treats and praised and she didn't quit until I told her to go play, so I'm pretty hopeful that she will pick this up quickly!

Teaching her to bark on command for some reason took about 5 months (possibly because she had always been told not to bark previously) so teaching her something she is picking up quickly is a nice change!

What other tricks do your dogs do?

Edited by BlackJaq

I had a go getting her to bow under my legs, but she had been taught previously to crawl by doing that, so that was no good. I have gone back to just supporting her rear end with one arm that is holding the clicker while I lure with the other into position, then when I think she is supporting herself I click & let her have the treat. Just by accident the other night, a treat rolled under the lounge chair & she did the most perfect bow in order to retrieve the treat, so I am going to see how I might be able to build on that. We are still working on standing on rear legs & that is going great & I am teaching the two of them to work in unison, which is quite funny, especially with the young guy :laugh: The young fella has just been taught to walk backwards & that is his favoured offered trick ATM & he sort of bounds backwards rather than taking steps, so he covers a lot of ground with his long legs :laugh: & it looks good so I am happy with that....it is his own style. :)

ETA...we have had a breakthrough with the young guy & his roll over.

Edited by sheena

Oooh! Crawling might be a cool next trick!

Foxy was making moves to go into the drop to begin with but I stopped asking for anything on the front end and simply rewarded her for lifting her bum instead a few times (I had to experiment a little, tied to get her to lift it up herself by touching and tapping various places and vocal encouragement, as soon as it went up,, I treated, since she doesn't really learn anything from me moving her into the positions I want *sigh*)

Maybe you can try break the position up into two pieces this way as well...

Foxy kind of rolls over but I was too paranoid about twisting her stomach so I never made her do a full rull.. Just kinda roll over on her back... It's a pretty half assed effort really lol I used it as a stepping stone to get to playing dead though...

For standing on rear legs, do you just ask for them to stand up in place or are you going to try teach them to walk like that as well?

Would be cool to see some more videos of the tricks everyone's dog have learnt!

Edited by BlackJaq

Wow... I don' think I'd have enough time or motivation on my hands for that unless it was my day job haha

It's pretty amazing though! Makes me wonder how much time and effort that woman spends daily on her dogs!

Edited by BlackJaq

That's Kikopup & she is amazing. She has a Youtube channel with lots of trick training tips.

BlackJaq, I'm teaching Bindi to walk/hop on her back legs but firstly I am getting a nice duration with standing & she is now starting to do the hop in order to keep her balance. I will gradually extend the time she is up before I click. I am also teaching her to go around me backwards. Crossing the front legs is a very cute trick & she always gets a laugh when she goes into this pose. :laugh:

I love kikopup, always being inspired by her videos :thumbsup:

I've been working very hard on getting Biscuit to do a handstand, he's soooo close!

Edit: Hmm, can't get the video to embed :( Please see here:

Or help me with embedding pretty please? :D

Edited by rusty&biscuit

Now that our Obedience club is wrapping up for the year I'm going to spend more time on TRICKS!

So far this week I've been working on the 'shy' command with both Collie and Sarah, you can see their brains working overtime when I have the clicker and treats at the ready and a peg attached to their head.

Collie is getting good at it with no peg but I need to use it so start him off to let him know what I want, he hasn't quite figured out the cue yet and he looks very confused if I use it after the training session. Unfortunately my OH is pretty impatient and keeps using the cue when he's unlikely to respond in the correct way. Have tried telling him it's only going to confuse the dog but oh well.

Sarah is a bit slower to get there, the first time I took the peg off her head she would lift each of her feet quickly one at a time without touching her face and then look at me waiting for a treat :p she was figuring it out yesterday though. They both just need a lot more practice :D

Shy is a good one...I havn't done that one for ages, it may need a little bit of revision. Getting them to cross their front paws while in a dropped position is a very cute one too & always gets "Ooooo isn't she sweet" remarks. You do that one by using a foot target & gradually raising the target up & over the other paw. Bindi does it well, but I am having a little problem with Cricket, he is such a boofhead with great big feet & really likes to wack the target, sometimes getting my hand. I had a lovely target stick, but he broke that in a few minutes. :( So now I am using a wooden spoon.

:laugh: at the target stick! Only because the same happened to me... Talk about over enthusiastic!

With the shy, how did you guys build duration? Penny's doing a quick swipe of her face but I can't seem to be able to build up on that

:laugh: at the target stick! Only because the same happened to me... Talk about over enthusiastic!

With the shy, how did you guys build duration? Penny's doing a quick swipe of her face but I can't seem to be able to build up on that

I'd be interested to know too! I'm having the same problem. Breeze will cover her muzzle for a good second (our cue is 'Stinky!' :laugh: ) but I just can't figure out how to get her to hold it there. She also will only do it in a drop, as that's how I taught her initially so I am having trouble getting her to do it in a sit or stand as she confuses it with marching, which we do in those positions.