What Trick Are You Teaching Your Dog

Here is a clip of me shaping my puppy to get in a box, I started with a square laundry basket (youtube didn't want to play itrr

) and gradually reduced the size of the box. I tried to keep the reinforcment high so she would keep trying, I also really focused on the hind legs. Sometimes it helps to have another person clicking the hind legs.

Edited by PAX

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done a lot of shaping with my puppy and she is very operant, if you haven't done much shaping reward often.This is as small as want to go with her, she is trying really hard.

Also I set a timer on my phone and make shaping sessions usually 60 seconds, I know my pup can hang in there so I set the cut off at two minutes, thats a long time for them to be trying hard.

http://youtu.be/vOwQut78fCIallest

Here is a clip of me shaping my puppy to get in a box, I started with a square laundry basket (youtube didn't want to play itrr

) and gradually reduced the size of the box. I tried to keep the reinforcment high so she would keep trying, I also really focused on the hind legs. Sometimes it helps to have another person clicking the hind legs.

Great work PAX :thumbsup: With Bindi I am now getting 3 legs in & with Cricket..well...most of the time he tries everything else including a lovely "bow" in the box :laugh: but we are getting there. I agree it would be a lot easier to have someone watching the back legs & doing the clicking. It is very hard to see what's going on behind

1390951822[/url]' post='6406645']
1390900835[/url]' post='6406264']

Great work PAX :thumbsup: With Bindi I am now getting 3 legs in & with Cricket..well...most of the time he tries everything else including a lovely "bow" in the box :laugh: but we are getting there. I agree it would be a lot easier to have someone watching the back legs & doing the clicking. It is very hard to see what's going on behind

Sheena, if you have a floor length mirror to see the hind legs works well too:)

• 5 months later...

It's taken about 3 months to get Nova to sit like this unassisted!

I started by getting him to put his paws on my arm and slowly progressed to one paw just touching my leg while his muscles built up.

Now we have this and he can stay for a while :D very proud of my boy!

je6etuha.jpg

Left OH at home with Cricket last night while Bindi & I went to a party. Got home to this....Not sure what happened, but they were playing "101 Things to do With a Box" & either OH ran out of treats or Cricket got to number 101 :laugh: Boys !!!!! :mad

P1020241_zps2e4d2ff3.jpg

Sheena I think Cricket may have had his own party :laugh:

It's taken about 3 months to get Nova to sit like this unassisted!

I started by getting him to put his paws on my arm and slowly progressed to one paw just touching my leg while his muscles built up.

Now we have this and he can stay for a while :D very proud of my boy!

je6etuha.jpg

Great work with Nova. I have tried to get Bindi to sit like that, but because I have taught her to stand on her back legs, she just automatically stands. I guess I could if I really tried, then put a cue on it so she knows the difference.

BC Crazy...Cricket just loooooovvvess cardboard boxes & loves playing "101 things to do with a box"...he will even go & get the box for me :laugh:

It can be handy Mochi, but just watch your fingers :laugh:

What a great trick to teach. My OH is forever leaving cupboard doors open...I swear he must have been raised in a cave :laugh: If I could teach my two to shut the doors, then that would be great, especially the young guy who has self-taught himself to OPEN doors :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

Currently working on 'walk on my feet'. Need to pick a cue word/phrase. :laugh: any ideas?

Also what are your cues for beg/sit pretty ? Reggie's is 'stick em up' but her resulting pose doesn't resemble that very well so thinking of changing it. :)

Currently working on 'walk on my feet'. Need to pick a cue word/phrase. :laugh: any ideas?

Also what are your cues for beg/sit pretty ? Reggie's is 'stick em up' but her resulting pose doesn't resemble that very well so thinking of changing it. :)

Oh that looks awesome, I'm going to try that! How about "Dance"?

I use "Paws up" for the sit pretty smile.gif

Discodobe that's a great idea!

I'll have to set up a video, but we now have leg weaving biggrin.gif

Very nice, Reggie. :D For that trick I use 'Step up' for Breeze to get up on my feet and she is to stay there while I walk until I release her with 'OK'.

'Paws up' is for when I want her to sit pretty and put her paws up on something like my knee. I use 'Beg' for begging / sit pretty (paws not resting on anything).

What about "toes" or "silly walk" ?? I will have to try that one. I was having trouble with "beg" as they kept jumping up. I found I had more control over it if I put my hand close to the top of the head & slightly back. No lure, just a hand target. But I think I will just use "beg" when they get it all together. I use "dance" for up on hind legs.

I use Sit Pretty as the cue for sit up, and Paws Up for paws up on something.

I use Cop-cop for paws on feet - I think the cue came from Kikopup's video.

10478573_10152271398978870_839380195853255226_n.jpg

And how very pretty is that :)