Gus Had His First Pre-puppy School Bath.

Steph M

971770_10151656945499645_1892691275_n.jpg

Woe is me!

1009904_10151656946129645_835820726_n.jpg

He's just throwing himself around on me and in front of my feet and sighing and moaning. I've never seen anything so dramatic in my whole life.

1003252_10151656946599645_139334922_n.jpg

'Why would you do that to me, though?'

1012781_10151656946944645_311553276_n.jpg

'I worked so hard on that foul puppy funk'

1010666_10151656947449645_281127612_n.jpg

'I'm raiding the litter tray and kissing that cow on the mouth later'

:laugh:

Oh Yes, I remember puppies first bath..... followed shortly after by puppies first deliberate 'dig a mud hole whilst mum's watching just to spite her'.

VERY cute pics Steph M, looks like you've got a bit of a drama queen on your hands! Gus might have an acting career in his future! :laugh:

He's recovered, currently asleep on the couch snoring and farting like you wouldn't believe.

He wouldn't even look at me after, except to make sure I was watching the dramatics.

And he still ate the treats I was offering him in the tub, just when he thought I wasn't looking and had put them on the side of the sink.

I figure if he can at least stay clean til school at 7pm tomorrow we're in the clear. That is asking a lot though...

Bet he won't be the only muddy brat though.

Gus was the ratbag of the class. Immediately honed in on a GR the same size and age and they proceeded to roll all over each other and chew on eyes, ears and tails and throw each other around.

He then turned his attention to a lovely little Aus Shep, who was behaving like a dream til Gus wound her up to the point she just sat and yapped the rest of the class, so the three of them set about corrupting everyone, by the end of it he was asleep in my lap while everyone else carried on.

Oh the shame!

Still, I like that he's outgoing and friendly, he climbed into a little kids lap and licked her mercilessly while she donked him on the head with a rope toy (my sister is actually in labour as we speak, so best get used to kids I guess? I don't think he even noticed tbh. He seemed thrilled in the attention)

The woman who runs it said he was a lot of fun and very responsive, even when he was in full ratbag mode. And he did back off when someone didn't want to play. She called him 'the motivator'

I think she really meant 'instigator'

I don't know how much he'll learn, given he's just so excited about the other dogs but we got the best sleep ever last night!

I'm happy if he has fun and meets new people and pups. We do a bit of training at home and have an appt to join the obedience club before too long.

Gus was the ratbag of the class. Immediately honed in on a GR the same size and age and they proceeded to roll all over each other and chew on eyes, ears and tails and throw each other around.

He then turned his attention to a lovely little Aus Shep, who was behaving like a dream til Gus wound her up to the point she just sat and yapped the rest of the class, so the three of them set about corrupting everyone, by the end of it he was asleep in my lap while everyone else carried on.

Oh the shame!

Still, I like that he's outgoing and friendly, he climbed into a little kids lap and licked her mercilessly while she donked him on the head with a rope toy (my sister is actually in labour as we speak, so best get used to kids I guess? I don't think he even noticed tbh. He seemed thrilled in the attention)

The woman who runs it said he was a lot of fun and very responsive, even when he was in full ratbag mode. And he did back off when someone didn't want to play. She called him 'the motivator'

I don't know how much he'll learn, given he's just so excited about the other dogs but we got the best sleep ever last night!

I'm happy if he has fun and meets new people and pups. We do a bit of training at home and have an appt to join the obedience club before too long.

Steph, sounds great, that is the whole point of pup school, or should be, is to get the dogs out and about and meet other dogs and experience other things dogs need to experience, learn what goes on in our world so when he is older he knows all about it and when needed by us will ignore something that may be interesting cause we need his attention for what ever reason, its not about hard out training at this age, small training and working up of course, recalls and attention etc but letting the dog be a dog is what he needs right now and it sounds like he is excelling at it :D

Oh the shame!

Steph, sounds great, that is the whole point of pup school, or should be, is to get the dogs out and about and meet other dogs and experience other things dogs need to experience, learn what goes on in our world so when he is older he knows all about it and when needed by us will ignore something that may be interesting cause we need his attention for what ever reason, its not about hard out training at this age, small training and working up of course, recalls and attention etc but letting the dog be a dog is what he needs right now and it sounds like he is excelling at it :D

Actually it sounds like a horrid (yep unfortunately fairly typical) puppy pre-school where it's just a free-for-all :confused:

Oh the shame!

Actually it sounds like a horrid (yep unfortunately fairly typical) puppy pre-school where it's just a free-for-all :confused:

Gus is absolutely gorgeous!

Now I hate to be a downer, but I really think Minimax has a point.

With puppies you need to start the way you want to continue. If in the future you want him to be able to be calm around other dogs, to be able to walk past other dogs without acting like a pork chop, and not to be a bully, you have to teach him the rules from day one. That's not to say he'll be perfect from day one. But It doesn't sound like he is learning to focus on you and learning to be calm around other dogs... But I could be wrong and you could be just giving a colourful description of the situation?

Sorry if my post seemed to indemnify the situation, was mean't to say something along those lines, that the school is there to teach a pup what real life is like and how to deal with those situations without going over the top and knowing when to stop and be calm, I agree to start how you mean to go on but you have to let a dog be a dog at some point so it knows when to stop right?

Edited by JackC

I agree with minimax and raineth. That kind of puppy preschool can give pups bad habits and why I will be avoiding them. Hopefully the rest of the classes have more controlled play.

Glad you enjoyed it though Steph.

but shouldn't the school allow the pups to have a controlled play time in the session so they can vent some excitement as well, I'm sure the school did focus and attention training within the same time so the pup knew when it had to be calm and when it could "play", I'm new to this as well

Edited by JackC

It's pretty good actually, came very highly recommended and I like the staff a heap.

A lot of stuff is covered, but the first class, which was last night, is more a checking of vacc certs and meet and greet and run through of safety stuff and assessing tempraments for grouping. I don't actually mind him playing with other dogs, he doesn't bully them, just wants to play and chat, albeit a little excitedly. But he'll be grouped accordingly.

He will lay off when asked and is not bad to re-focus on us so I'm happy for him to have some silly time.

Proper classes start next monday and yeah, it wasn't as bad as it seems. Very funny actually. I learned a few things already too.

but shouldn't the school allow the pups to have a controlled play time in the session so they can vent some excitement as well, I'm sure the school did focus and attention training within the same time so the pup knew when it had to be calm and when it could "play"

They did. It wasn't all silly time. There was a lot of sitting quietly and seeing what motivates them, food, toys, attention etc. They were asked to sit quietly and given a pigs ear to chew while the 'adults talked' and allowed to play for 5 mins every so often to break it up.

but shouldn't the school allow the pups to have a controlled play time in the session so they can vent some excitement as well, I'm sure the school did focus and attention training within the same time so the pup knew when it had to be calm and when it could "play", I'm new to this as well

As long as It's controlled play. Most puppy pre-schools aren't even done by dog trainers, so It's usually not very productive or positive.