Inexcusable Negligence

Xyz

Not familiar with this vet but I think any vet should make an assessment of the client's ability to follow instructions especially regarding fiddly doses. Many elderly people for instance commonly misdose themselves and have great difficulty with measuring minute doses. I don't know if this man was elderly or not.

They are vets, not psychologists.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not familiar with this vet but I think any vet should make an assessment of the client's ability to follow instructions especially regarding fiddly doses.

Are you serious :eek:

Well yes - should have phrased differently - so far as a medical professional who supplies medications directly to a client will go over the dosages etc with them and ensure they have an accurate understanding.

My understanding is that he was advised to use the Nurophen after a late night phone call. It does not say she supplied it directly to him.

This thread is most unpleasant. :( Anonymous posters vilifying a 'real life' vet's reputation when they do not even know all the facts. It reeks of cyber bullying.

Firstly, I'm very sorry that this man has lost his beloved cat, whatever the circumstances.

I've had some pretty dodgy service and diagnosis from one of the biggest vet clinics in Canberra with two of my own beloved animals. Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you don't.

Jan and Ella have always been amazingly supportive and provided excellent care for my rescue dogs over the years. They've saved the life of more than one and not required the deeds to my house in return. Those of you who remember Stormin' Norman the red ACD pup from DAS know he became gravely ill and I thought I might lose him. Ella personally nursed him back to health so he could go on to find the best home in Gunning. When I've had to farewell a rescue dog Jan was always been honest, practical and empathetic.

For a time we were lucky enough to have the services of another practical rural vet out this way. However, a shocking experience with one client meant we lost her which is really unfortunate. She always provided high quality care for my horses and her fee was often less than what the other vets charge just for travel.

I appreciate that some clinics have some pretty expensive diagnostic equipment and they are a business which needs to cover costs, but a visit to the vet these days, especially in the Canberra area, is getting to the point of being simply unaffordable for a lot of people. People will say "Oh if you can't afford animals you shouldn't have them" and I understand that viewpoint, however, it's a sad day when we can't share our lives with a pet because it's one luxury that's too expensive. We should also never be so arrogant to think that we will never age or fall on hard times and need the help of Vets like these.

S

Edited by Sheilaheel02

This thread is most unpleasant. :( Anonymous posters vilifying a 'real life' vet's reputation when they do not even know all the facts. It reeks of cyber bullying.

It does go that way, you're right .... when the topic strays outside the actual incident & those publicly reported 'facts', to other aspects of the vet's personal & professional life.

I have a vet friend who recently relocated and is now working in an emergency clinic... she is so glad to NOT have to do the hard sell of particular drugs or accessories that is so common in regular vet clinics any more. She was always happy to write prescriptions for human chemists to fill for commonly used drugs, rather than sell the drug company sponsored brands available in clinic. Same drugs, same doses, at a massively reduced cost through a chemist rather than the clinic prices.

There are many great vets out there that don't try to overservice or overcharge for their expertise. It's not about what the vet clinic costs in order to discern what level of treatment you will get - it's about doing the best for the animal when it needs treating. Any clinic that refuses treatment because one can't pay up front is obviously NOT in the business for the wellbeing of the animals.

Jan advised a very SMALL dosage of liquid Nurofen (which is obviously all the guy had on hand) for the cat's pain. The owner, for whatever reason, managed to QUADRUPLE the dose he gave to the cat. Neither can be called entirely at fault for the actions taken that night, but both should take some responsibility for the outcome. I believe that Jan has stepped up and taken her share of responsibility... now the owner needs to come to terms with his part in it.

T.

Jan advised a very SMALL dosage of liquid Nurofen (which is obviously all the guy had on hand) for the cat's pain. The owner, for whatever reason, managed to QUADRUPLE the dose he gave to the cat. Neither can be called entirely at fault for the actions taken that night, but both should take some responsibility for the outcome. I believe that Jan has stepped up and taken her share of responsibility... now the owner needs to come to terms with his part in it.

T.

well as see it, we only have a newspaper report as to who said/did what. I still say nurofen should not have been prescribed, no matter what sort and what dose.

We also don't know if the surgery was done by Jan, it doesn't actually say that in the article, quote: which had undergone surgery earlier in the day there is another presumption....

Maree

CPR

That's the stupid part. The article is so damaging but so flimsy, it says absolutely nothing about the extent of the injuries, the post op treatment or who was the animal's surgeon.

Then it presumes to say the cat was overdosed where I can't see one sentence where anyone investigated to prove the cause of death.

Not familiar with this vet but I think any vet should make an assessment of the client's ability to follow instructions especially regarding fiddly doses.

Well yes - should have phrased differently - so far as a medical professional who supplies medications directly to a client will go over the dosages etc with them and ensure they have an accurate understanding.

My understanding is that he was advised to use the Nurophen after a late night phone call. It does not say she supplied it directly to him.

I thought I had made it clear I was not referring to this vet particularly - rather expressing an opinion regarding supply of medication by vets in general as the discussion had touched on that issue. I'm certainly not vilifying anyone. :confused:

I thought I had made it clear I was not referring to this vet particularly - rather expressing an opinion regarding supply of medication by vets in general as the discussion had touched on that issue. I'm certainly not vilifying anyone. :confused:

My second paragraph was not aimed at you directly. I was referring to some of the earlier posts. Sorry if I did not make myself clear.

What kind of prices are we talking about? I didn't know veterinary treatment was so expensive in Canberra/ more expensive than other states.

That is hard to answer as I don't get enough done to be able to list many prices, but I think SSM's post earlier in the thread is a good explanation. I doubt the medium to high end is any higher than elsewhere, but I haven't found the range of lower cost options I have known of in the other cities. Canberra average incomes are amongst the highest in the country, and prices tend to reflect that. Hard if you are on a low income though.

The larger clinics in my opinion tend to be expensive and some have a reputation for putting a lot of effort into what i will call 'practice building'. My personal experience with one of them has been of poor diagnostic skills and not much concern for the suffering of the animal. Seriously poor, and so much so I would not risk using them again.

The small suburban practices are mixed of course. But getting two small cysts removed from my cat was $550 last week at one close to me. Total of 8 stitches, no blood tests, no pathology, one course of ABs. I used them because they are close but I only use them for routine things. I would say they have average skills and prices, and maybe slightly less than average facilities. I think another poster said the emergency clinic starts at $190 a visit, upfront, and I know someone who paid around $500 there for an examination and single blood test, I would say that is a cheap visit.

I have found two vets I am very happy to use for everything, but I drive past many others to get to them, and only one really takes cost into account. He, however, is excellent. I am sure there would be other great ones too, but they can be hard to find.

Edited by Diva

I had an older Poodle die at the after hours vets and I wanted to know what he died of, they know me there and said it would cost me $1000 for them to open him up, I then said "well can you put him in your freezer and I will pick him up at 3 and take him to my vet WQVH and Hamish can open him up for much less than that" she then said they would do it and not charge me, it took them no longer than 30 seconds and came and told me he had massive tumors that had grown so big they blocked many organs and he died from that, I don't begrudge them charging to open him up, BUT, to charge a grand for 30 seconds is just a complete rip off.

Maree

CPR

If the dosage the vet suggested would not have harmed the cat I fail to see how the vet is responsible for the owner over dosing ?

If the vet had prescribed drugs at the surgery & charged for this the owner may still have over dosed the cat & the cat may still have died.

The fact that the vet had been in court for misuse of drugs or whatever re her addicted daughter is not relevant to this.

No one can judge on that part unless they walk in her shoes.

It is nothing to do with the cat owner making a mistake with dosage.

My second paragraph was not aimed at you directly. I was referring to some of the earlier posts. Sorry if I did not make myself clear.

I found your meaning clear here.... & agreed with you.

Nawnim was replying to me - I misunderstood her post.

No worries Nawnim :)

Nawnim was replying to me - I misunderstood her post.

No worries Nawnim :)

Yes.... I was speaking to Nawnim's comment that she hadn't made herself clear. I found her meaning clear.

:offtopic:

I watched the Animal Emergency show on the television the other night. It is real life events from the Lort Smith Animal Hospital in Melbourne. A woman brought in a pregnant 12yo pug who was having problems giving birth. The vets decided she should have a caesarean. She died on the operating table because she had an allergic reaction to the anaesthetic. Two? pups were saved and the program showed the owner with these cute newborn pups who would now have to be handraised and insinuated what a wonderful person she was for being prepared for all the hard work this would involve.

What interested me and what is relevant to this thread is that no-one blamed the vets for the death of the elderly pug nor did anyone blame the owner for allowing such an old dog to become pregnant. Being DOL sensitised I blamed the owner. :)

Why do we always have to blame someone? Why not just accept that people, and that includes all of us, make mistakes?

Guest Wildthing

I watched the Animal Emergency show on the television the other night. It is real life events from the Lort Smith Animal Hospital in Melbourne. A woman brought in a pregnant 12yo pug who was having problems giving birth. The vets decided she should have a caesarean. She died on the operating table because she had an allergic reaction to the anaesthetic. Two? pups were saved and the program showed the owner with these cute newborn pups who would now have to be handraised and insinuated what a wonderful person she was for being prepared for all the hard work this would involve.

What interested me and what is relevant to this thread is that no-one blamed the vets for the death of the elderly pug nor did anyone blame the owner for allowing such an old dog to become pregnant. Being DOL sensitised I blamed the owner. :)

Why do we always have to blame someone? Why not just accept that people, and that includes all of us, make mistakes?

Could not agree with you more if I tried - well said.

Methinks that people that make mistakes are most likely to blame somebody else. :(

I think, considering the fact that the dog had had difficult labours in the past and had no live offspring, you are completely justified in blaming the owner.

I certainly blame her.

If your beloved pet reaches a certain age and you know she can't bare a litter of puppies safely, why would you not have her desexed?!