Advertising In The Trading Post

Zereuloh

So, we've been looking for a corgi puppy and I found a couple of breeders on Dogzonline, but my husband was looking through the trading post today and noticed an advertisement for corgi puppies. It says they're registered in the ad but I was just wondering how many reputable breeders would actually advertise in the trading post? I'm trying to steer him away for them and telling him to wait till one of the breeders closest to us has pups as the two I spoke to do plan on litters sometime this year. But, he is keen to inquire. I just wanted to get opinions here first (and then can show him if the responses.)

Thanks

Stacey.

Have you contacted the Welsh Corgi Club of Victoria?

They have a puppy contact person who would probably have a very good feel for what litters are around and planned.

No I haven't. I've contacted both Kingsrowan and Purdella, both of which have told us when they plan on litters which we are happy to wait on either of these. My other half is just getting a little over eager. (Which is great considering it took me ages to convince him we should get a dog! lol)

Edited by Zereuloh

I would make no assumptions about the quality of the pups from the ad in the Trading Post.

Ask the questions you would ask of any breeder but clarify that the pups are ANKC registered before going any further.

Agreed, and more registered breeders SHOULD advertise in the trading post, let the public know there is such a thing as ANKC registered breeders.

Some 'breeders' like to think they're registered.... They just don't mention their registration is only with the council

I think that was the case with this particular advertisement. First question hubby asked was if they were registered with the ANKC said no so he said bye. Pretty simple lol.

I would make no assumptions about the quality of the pups from the ad in the Trading Post.

Ask the questions you would ask of any breeder but clarify that the pups are ANKC registered before going any further.

Agreed, and more registered breeders SHOULD advertise in the trading post, let the public know there is such a thing as ANKC registered breeders.

This is actually a really good point! Never thought of it this way!

My other half is just getting a little over eager. (Which is great considering it took me ages to convince him we should get a dog! lol)

Get him to read this http://rufflyspeaking.net/puppy-buyer-ettiquette/

That is excellent. Good if that link could be got to all prospective puppy buyers.

I know how over-enthusiasm can break out. Neighbours' little dog died & it took ages for the husband to consider another dog. When he did... he headed for the local pet store. His wife had to really put the brakes on his falling for particular puppies. Even tho' their previous dog was from a registered breeder.

It's irrelevant where a person advertises. For some reason there is this stigma that Breeders shouldn't be allowed to advertise where people actively look for puppies....makes no sense to me.

It's not where you advertise that matters it's how you screen the people that enquire.

we advertised our pups on gumtree as well as DOL because they were pet quality and we wanted nice pet homes why wouldn't you advertise in places where pet buyers are likely to see them.

I know my boss who is also an ANKC registered breeder advertises her pups in the trading post as she wants nice homes for them and the average Joe looking for a pup is gonna look in places like the local paper and trading post and atleast she gets a chance to educate people at the same time and her pups end up with decent homes.

You are right it's not something you often see, registered breeds should advertise everywhere to promote pedigree dogs... Petlink, trading post, local paper etc.

Take pedigree dogs to the people, don't wait for them to come to you.