Friend With Dogs Found A Ribbon At Her Gate - Looks Like A Prank

mixeduppup

A question I can't answer in my head... why would 'the dogfighters' be marking gates with paint, ribbons etc etc when there are constant news stories freaking about it all. Why draw attention to themselves while doing it... why draw attention to yourselves walking down the street later when you're stealing the dogs checking every gate for a tiny mark?? Why not just make a note of the addresses that have dogs that you want?? It makes no sense...

yes that is odd. How much easier would it be to just text an address, rather than physically place a little ribbon.

Yep, I just can't fathom that people committing an illegal act (stealing a dog) to do another illegal act (dogfighting), would risk being seen/noticed in such a way (TWICE - once putting the ribbons on, and then a second time trawling through the streets finding them)........ when they could just text an address. I mean in this case if it actually was to steal the dogs they've now been foiled - the owner has noticed and will presumably be keeping the dogs inside or something like that. So they lose the dogs. It just makes no sense, and I haven't seen any evidence other than people getting upset on facebook that such marks are anything to do with dog thefts or dog fighting.

Perhaps the ribbon is for another party to identify the address. It is possible that the ribbon 'installer' is out and about scouting.

Yes but why not just wander around scouting, note down the addresses that have the dogs you want and text those addresses through to the other party? Why hang around in the street suspiciously on two separate occasions if you don't need to? Especially if you're involved in dogfighting which has big repercussions.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A question I can't answer in my head... why would 'the dogfighters' be marking gates with paint, ribbons etc etc when there are constant news stories freaking about it all. Why draw attention to themselves while doing it... why draw attention to yourselves walking down the street later when you're stealing the dogs checking every gate for a tiny mark?? Why not just make a note of the addresses that have dogs that you want?? It makes no sense...

yes that is odd. How much easier would it be to just text an address, rather than physically place a little ribbon.

Yep, I just can't fathom that people committing an illegal act (stealing a dog) to do another illegal act (dogfighting), would risk being seen/noticed in such a way (TWICE - once putting the ribbons on, and then a second time trawling through the streets finding them)........ when they could just text an address. I mean in this case if it actually was to steal the dogs they've now been foiled - the owner has noticed and will presumably be keeping the dogs inside or something like that. So they lose the dogs. It just makes no sense, and I haven't seen any evidence other than people getting upset on facebook that such marks are anything to do with dog thefts or dog fighting.

Perhaps the ribbon is for another party to identify the address. It is possible that the ribbon 'installer' is out and about scouting.

Yes but why not just wander around scouting, note down the addresses that have the dogs you want and text those addresses through to the other party? Why hang around in the street suspiciously on two separate occasions if you don't need to? Especially if you're involved in dogfighting which has big repercussions.

I guess you'll have to ask the person in question.

I admit these questions are going round in my head as well. MUP's friend did say that the ribbon wasn't easy to spot. I guess the spotter puts the mark where the casual observer would not notice it, but the person who is doing the stealing/robbing/whatever knows what to look for.

Even if people are just jumping on the band wagon and getting their kicks out of frightening people, they would be pretty damned successful.

:mad :mad

Slaes of CCTV cameras will skyrocket.

Have you ever watched 'The Wire' - possibly to avoid traceability?

I still think the risk of actually being spotted, either placing the ribbon or looking for it, would be much greater. My curious neighbours would have that spotted in an instant.

Edited by Diva

I still think the risk of actually being spotted, either placing the ribbon or looking for it, would be much greater. My curious neighbours would have that spotted in an instant.

yeah, and would the stealer really be expected to drive randomly around streets hoping to spot a tiny ribbon thats been hidden whilst in the dark and trying to not look suspicious. I can hardly find a house number when I need to and I know what street I'm looking for. Imagine trying to find a hidden ribbon that could be anywhere in a suburb???

I still think the risk of actually being spotted, either placing the ribbon or looking for it, would be much greater.

The chances of being noticed would be slim people in this day & age often don't notice many things around us & it would be very easy to place a ribbon & not have anyone think twice about what they where doing .

I would imagine they are aware of the address but the ribbon confirms the correct house they would now where it is placed .

There smart people when it comes to things like this.

It is also common for burglaries people marking houses of those that work .

As an example of people doing nothing.

We had a roo in our street severely injured ,the council couldn't use there guns at that stage so they called the police in.

An unmarked car turned up,3 gun shots & that car went off.

The council guy & my mum & friend where in the bush placing the roo in a body bag.

I was watching & it astounded me that something that was so obviously gun shots & if you looked out side the 3 people looked as guilty as anything & not one person phoned the police,rang neighbours to see if they noticed anything >zilch so infact come to our street to commit crimes cause no one does anything :eek:

I still think the risk of actually being spotted, either placing the ribbon or looking for it, would be much greater.

The chances of being noticed would be slim people in this day & age often don't notice many things around us & it would be very easy to place a ribbon & not have anyone think twice about what they where doing .

I would imagine they are aware of the address but the ribbon confirms the correct house they would now where it is placed .

There smart people when it comes to things like this.

It is also common for burglaries people marking houses of those that work .

As an example of people doing nothing.

We had a roo in our street severely injured ,the council couldn't use there guns at that stage so they called the police in.

An unmarked car turned up,3 gun shots & that car went off.

The council guy & my mum & friend where in the bush placing the roo in a body bag.

I was watching & it astounded me that something that was so obviously gun shots & if you looked out side the 3 people looked as guilty as anything & not one person phoned the police,rang neighbours to see if they noticed anything >zilch so infact come to our street to commit crimes cause no one does anything :eek:

LOL, you need my neighbours. They would notice! I still think confirming an address with ribbons is very odd in this day and age.

It does play into people's fears though, by leaving something for them to find. I wonder if that is actually the point.

Edited by Diva

They don't always use ribbons they use stickers as well. There was a case here where a girl had the lock cut on her side gate and her two large dogs missing while she was at work, several days after they went missing she noticed a yellow sticker on the front of her letterbox. Now thankfully I have very observant neighbours and I can be a bit of a Dorrie myself but right now at 4.45pm it's cold and my curtains are closed so anyone could be walking around and I wouldn't see them.

Maybe they were legit & marking underground cables?

If anyone parks outside our property or along the lane, I make a point of noting down the details of the vehicle including rego & politely ask them if they need help.

Around here, underground cables, water and gas pipes get marked out with different coloured spray paint.

Ribbons would be easy to see in the day time when most people are at work. And they don't leave evidence trails like txt and emails do. Though I think if police had reason to search the 4WD and found a bunch of coloured ribbons or stickers - that matched the car thief ring in the area, they'd still have a lot of explaining to do. It's just a bit harder to prove.

Around here, underground cables, water and gas pipes get marked out with different coloured spray paint.

That's the same here But the worker's mostly use Yellow and they sure make a large mark for all to see .

Pretty darn scarey :eek: so many dog's missing if they all escaped from yard's would be a heck of a lot roaming , as for my area I have not see a loose dog for months !

Yes dog fighting happens, yes dogs are stolen.

Dogs are stolen because people can't be bothered to earn a $ and pay for one, it's much cheaper and easier to steal someone else's. They are also stolen because they are suitable for breeding, why buy yourself a dog or bitch when you can take someone else's.

Dog fighting exists but not to the extent that this facebook scaremongering makes out. Bait dogs aren't big or vicious, any old dog will do for that, so it's unlikely your friends dogs would be targeted for that reason.

The best thing a dog owner can do is make sure there dogs do not have access to gates and fences that face the street. Keep them behind your house and out of public view. Lock all gates and kennel runs when you are not home.

Perhaps it's time for people to stop spreading the hysteria and we'll see less stickers, ribbons and the like on fences.

That's the same here But the worker's mostly use Yellow and they sure make a large mark for all to see .

Ausgrid don't use ribbon, We spray the ground.