Friend With Dogs Found A Ribbon At Her Gate - Looks Like A Prank

mixeduppup

It's just facebook hype and bullcrap.

My friend isn't lying and has reported it to the police and is very upset.

What did the police say and/or do?

I don't know. She just said she went. She's not online right now but I'll ask her later.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have had a whole spate of dog thefts here in Brisbane. The police have warned about the thefts & info about it (including the ribbons) has been in lots of different media (tv news, radio & newspaper).

I have also heard of coloured stickers and each colour and the amount of stickers mean the size of the dog and how many. Sadly the little ones are used as bait dogs and the big ones for fighting. Its a sad world we live in :mad

This was posted on a lot of the NSW Police FB pages on 18 June;

****DOG FIGHTING HOAX*****

Since early 2013, there has been a lot of talk amongst the community regarding a post on Facebook, warning dog owners about dogs being stolen from households that are allegedly being used as bait for illegal dog fights.

The post has gone viral and there has even been an article published in the newspaper. The newspaper article claimed that the RSPCA were investigating the matter along with police.

The post warns dog owners that a dog fighting gang is stealing dogs by marking houses where dogs live with coloured stickers/orange plastic tape/coloured tape so that the dogs can be later stolen.

Police would like to stress that this is a HOAX and is completely UNTRUE. The hoax originated in Western Australia and an identical hoax was also reported in England.

After speaking with the RSPCA Media Liaison Officer, police can confirm that the RSPCA have not received one single report of dogs being stolen for a deliberate act. There has only been 1 report of a stolen dog in the Hills area and 2 reports of stolen dogs from the Hawkesbury area this year.

Police are urging the community to delete the post from their wall to stop the spread of this hoax.

I'm thinking that her house was marked by burglars as Perse said or someone is having a laugh. I agree that they would hardly dust a ribbon someone allegedly found outside their house just in case it was put their by dog thieves. My friend is locking up her dogs when she isn't there and has bought locks for the gate, hopefully that will deter them if it is criminal.

This was posted on a lot of the NSW Police FB pages on 18 June;

****DOG FIGHTING HOAX*****

Since early 2013, there has been a lot of talk amongst the community regarding a post on Facebook, warning dog owners about dogs being stolen from households that are allegedly being used as bait for illegal dog fights.

The post has gone viral and there has even been an article published in the newspaper. The newspaper article claimed that the RSPCA were investigating the matter along with police.

The post warns dog owners that a dog fighting gang is stealing dogs by marking houses where dogs live with coloured stickers/orange plastic tape/coloured tape so that the dogs can be later stolen.

Police would like to stress that this is a HOAX and is completely UNTRUE. The hoax originated in Western Australia and an identical hoax was also reported in England.

After speaking with the RSPCA Media Liaison Officer, police can confirm that the RSPCA have not received one single report of dogs being stolen for a deliberate act. There has only been 1 report of a stolen dog in the Hills area and 2 reports of stolen dogs from the Hawkesbury area this year.

Police are urging the community to delete the post from their wall to stop the spread of this hoax.

Bingo.

Why bingo I wonder? MUP's friend DID find a ribbon. She just isn't passing on something third, fourth or fifth hand.

Just the knowledge someone left a ribbon there for whatever reason is scary.

As WIW said, copy cat most likely. Most of this stuff is. Us animal people share it in outrage and bring it to people's minds that never would have thought of it before.

Some people have started doing this after seeing it on facebook, not because they are marking houses, but because they have seen it's done for marking houses so they are being morons and copying it to scare people.

As I said on the first page, copy cats.

yes it's been done but all this thread has done is fuel the hysteria

Indeed, and again the idea that stolen dogs MUST equal dogfighting. Even if dogs were actually being stolen and the ribbons were real, there is still no evidence for the reason of why the dogs were stolen. To suddenly jump to dogfighting is illogical and very upsetting for anyone who has lost their dog.

Not to mention there is just no purpose I can see for some dogs in relation to dog fighting. Bait dogs are usually small to give the dog to be trained a successful experience. There are only a handful of dogs, even in breeds intended for fighting (which, contrary to popular belief, do NOT include Dobermanns, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Dogos, Mastiff breeds and all the other "scary" breeds) which are actually suitable for dog fighting.

Chances are that only a tiny percentage of dogs from the "fighting breeds" would actually fight well (which is what it is all about). I cannot see where large dogs of non fighting breeds would be useful to dog fighters, they are too big for bait and unsuitable for fighting, what are they meant to be doing with them?

How many bully x dogs (especially from "pet stock") do you think somebody would need to steal to get a decent fighter? I would be willing to bet that the number is huge.

Why bingo I wonder? MUP's friend DID find a ribbon. She just isn't passing on something third, fourth or fifth hand.

Just the knowledge someone left a ribbon there for whatever reason is scary.

Apparently she found a ribbon - emphasis on the apparently...

To be technical, MUP's report of this supposed event is heresay - she is reporting what she has supposedly been told by another, she did not experience it first hand.

That's the thing I've never seen a first hand report of this happening and I'm on a lot of forums of all types from coffee to horses.

Oh I should mention though that I have a friend on facebook that had her front path painted with a strip of grey paint last week, she couldn't see anyone elses paths that had been done, neither she nor anyone else, including the police, have any idea what it could have been put there for. She is also the only one in the street that owns 'big' dogs, they are boxers so again not a breed that would be used for either fighters or baiting.