Friend With Dogs Found A Ribbon At Her Gate - Looks Like A Prank

mixeduppup

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was on channel 9 news in Adelaide a few weeks ago:

- I don't doubt there are copy cats out there and this story is like Chinese whispers gone viral causing hysteria for many who think this is 'getting out of control' but I do believe people need to be alert and open minded to the idea that there is every possibility this could happen. These 'copycats' may not be following through on anything right now and just putting 'ribbons' on gates to scare ppl but there will be some who take that extra step and take the dog. There are a lot of ppl who do unthinkable things out there at the expense of others.

- I don't doubt there are copy cats out there and this story is like Chinese whispers gone viral causing hysteria for many who think this is 'getting out of control' but I do believe people need to be alert and open minded to the idea that there is every possibility this could happen. These 'copycats' may not be following through on anything right now and just putting 'ribbons' on gates to scare ppl but there will be some who take that extra step and take the dog. There are a lot of ppl who do unthinkable things out there at the expense of others.

And quite a few ready to buy into spreading the hysteria that such threads create.

If you think carefully about this story, you can drive a truck through the logic of nailing (??) ribbons to gates to identify dogs. As someone has already said, texting is easier and doesn't signal to anyone that a theft may happen. It simply doesn't add up.

Lock your gates, keep your dogs behind your house when you're not home and DESEX your pet bull breeds.

I queried the veracity of the Hills district story last time and copped it. Now it's been proven to be shite.

Don't buy in and don't spread this rubbish. Just as many people get their jollies scaring the shite out of pet owners and threads like this help them.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

And quite a few ready to buy into spreading the hysteria that such threads create.

If you think carefully about this story, you can drive a truck through the logic of nailing (??) ribbons to gates to identify dogs. As someone has already said, texting is easier and doesn't signal to anyone that a theft may happen. It simply doesn't add up.

Lock your gates, keep your dogs behind your house when you're not home and DESEX your pet bull breeds.

I queried the veracity of the Hills district story last time and copped it. Now it's been proven to be shite.

Don't buy in and don't spread this rubbish. Just as many people get their jollies scaring the shite out of pet owners and threads like this help them.

Well said.

God I'm sick of hearing about this. Someone has put signs up all over town about it. Latest one I've seen is them spray painting a triangle on your front path....

I'm pretty involved in the dog world here, and for something that is happening allllll the time, in yet to talk to or even hear of someone who has seen these magical ribbons

Yes there is hysteria about dog fights at the moment but dog thefts are very real at present. I work for the police and we take many calls regarding dogs being stolen, when we ask about tag marks on fences, letter boxes etc we get answers back from people with tags such as "oh there is a spray painted blue dot on my fence, or a ribbon tied to my letter box, or even I had a council worker come round doing a survey on my dogs the other day" certain areas seem to be a target along with breeds, what they are stealing them for we can't say for sure. Some and only some have been taken for dog fights as my friend had her dead dog dumped back in her front yard 2 weeks after it had been stolen and the poor thing had been mauled. She found a blue ribbon on her back fence but thought nothing of it and left it. I still don't think people need to go into a severe panic over it however be vigilant as stated by other people. If you do notice anything ring the police and at least have an intel report put on, for people with Policelink in their states ring the 131444 number. A lot of it is copycat hoax but some of it isn't.

when chained fences are cut with bolt cutters usually a good sign, another lady actually had her gate driven into, tyre marks visible in the dirt. We usually get some clue as to whether a dog get out or is taken. My dogs can't get out of my yard, all gates are chained and padlocked.

Some and only some have been taken for dog fights as my friend had her dead dog dumped back in her front yard 2 weeks after it had been stolen and the poor thing had been mauled.

So, you caught the "dog fighters" then? Otherwise, how can you be sure the dog wasn't just mauled by another dog in a non-dog fighting scenario?

Until police catch dog fighters and all other scenarios can be ruled out, do you think it wise to state as a fact (as you have above) that some are being taken for dog fighting?

Well after saying I didn't believe in it.. Went to a friends today, they had a lovely staffy x there... She is visiting because the owners found a red ribbon on their fence, called the police and they said get rid of the dog ASAP.

It's the first time I've talked to someone who has seen it

Well after saying I didn't believe in it.. Went to a friends today, they had a lovely staffy x there... She is visiting because the owners found a red ribbon on their fence, called the police and they said get rid of the dog ASAP.

It's the first time I've talked to someone who has seen it

Shit, really?? In Orange??

I was talking to one of the guys at work the other day and he said a friend of his in Bathurst had their dog taken while they were home and they jumped in the car and saw a guy walking it down the street. They said "That's our dog" and the guy gave it back. Not sure how true it is, but it's worrying.

Dog theft in the Hawkesbury and Hills area has most certainly been an issue.

Far more than three dogs have been stolen :( (as written in that article).

As I live in the area I spoke with police and they stated very clearly it was fighting related. I have no idea how or why the police know this, they most certainly would not make statements like this without very good reason.

I do agree that there is probably a fair bit of hype.

Best thing to do is make sure your dogs are safe and out of view. Speak with your neighbours, keep an eye out and communicate anything untoward.

If you're in the Newcastle area and hearing these stories read this.

In Brisbane? Read this

In Orange? This one's for you

Anyone detecting a theme emerging? There's more of these articles refuting the idea that large scale dog thefts are happening to supply dog fighting rings.

Beating these stories up on social media does no one any good. I hope that people read these newspaper stories and note that this kind of hysteria makes it harder for people who've actually got missing dogs to locate them.

As I said in the other thread. You should be taking precautions to secure your dog every day. Scaring the shite out of dog owners is hardly helping anyone.

ETA: And Here's what Quaker's Hill police had to say on the Sydney issue

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Still kinda wondering how many pet staffies you'd have to steal to get one suitable to fight...

Have any of the dogs been recovered in a fighting situation? Have any rings been busted? Anybody been charged? This sounds like urban legend to me and unless there is some actual proof of where the dogs end up (a dog can escape and be can be mauled whilst out and about and often they will try to return home if hurt, so might actually end up in the front yard) then I don't think especially police officers should be helping to spread rumours (if there is prove then I apologize but I doubt it)

Edited by BlackJaq

The statement is worth quoting.

Quakers Hill LAC - NSW Police Force

****DOG FIGHTING HOAX*****

Since early 2013, there has been a lot of talk amongst the community regarding a post on Facebook, warning dog owners about dogs being stolen from households that are allegedly being used as bait for illegal dog fights.

The post has gone viral and there has even been an article published in the newspaper. The newspaper article claimed that the RSPCA were investigating the matter along with police.

The post warns dog owners that a dog fighting gang is stealing dogs by marking houses where dogs live with coloured stickers/orange plastic tape/coloured tape so that the dogs can be later stolen.

Police would like to stress that this is a HOAX and is completely UNTRUE. The hoax originated in Western Australia and an identical hoax was also reported in England.

After speaking with the RSPCA Media Liaison Officer, police can confirm that the RSPCA have not received one single report of dogs being stolen for a deliberate act. There has only been 1 report of a stolen dog in the Hills area and 2 reports of stolen dogs from the Hawkesbury area this year.

Police are urging the community to delete the post from their wall to stop the spread of this hoax.

Edited by Plan B

I've read the thing in the paper, as I said. I don't know what to think

It's also been spread locally for weeks. Notes are up all over town, all over facebook. All I did is say that I know someone who had to remove their dog

When they asked me I said it very well could have been someone just trying to scare them, but would I take the chance? No.