Friend With Dogs Found A Ribbon At Her Gate - Looks Like A Prank

mixeduppup

My friend who lives up around newcastle found a pink ribbon nailed to her front fence this morning. She has two mastiffX dogs and apparently there has been a few missing dogs in her area over the last few weeks. She's taken a photo of the ribbon then removed it and is now going to the police and has locked her dogs away. Just a warning as she is very upset and the spike in missing dogs is sudden :(

Edited by mixeduppup

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She said they had a white four wheel drive stop outside her house the other night for a long time, she thought they must have been using their phone but they drove on very slowly and stopped further up the street again.

Edited by mixeduppup

She said it was hidden at the base of her fence so you could only see it from the road if you were looking for it. I suggested a surveyors mark but my friend who is a surveyor said he's never marked anything like that and with the sudden rise in dogs going missing in her area (all bully type breeds) she wanted me to warn people.

The most common use is marking houses with dogs better suited for dog fighting .

Given the dogs in questions are Mastiff crosses i can understand why your friend is worried.

She should also notify local radio stations & even the paper not to give her story or to be known or even what breed(because you don't want them knowing ) she has but a warning to people to be more aware for the ribbons & strange people .

People are becoming sicker & sicker these days

Some people have started doing this after seeing it on facebook, not because they are marking houses, but because they have seen it's done for marking houses so they are being morons and copying it to scare people.

It's certainly a little unnerving but the immediate jump to dogfighting claims and all sorts of other sinister things is probably not helpful.

A question I can't answer in my head... why would 'the dogfighters' be marking gates with paint, ribbons etc etc when there are constant news stories freaking about it all. Why draw attention to themselves while doing it... why draw attention to yourselves walking down the street later when you're stealing the dogs checking every gate for a tiny mark?? Why not just make a note of the addresses that have dogs that you want?? It makes no sense...

She's just gone and left a note in everyone's letter boxes alerting them. She's making up more now.

ETA: oops, she's done a door knock of her street and is making up notes now. sorry

Edited by mixeduppup

MUP, there is a lot of this talk going around Facebook at the moment, and according to that, you are right with your first suggestion.... It appears that dog thieves are 'marking' suitable homes/dogs with ribbons placed inconspicuously on trees/gates etc on the premises.

Then, others are coming by and taking the dog/s.

It seems to be rife in Ballarat Victoria at the moment, with many people 'losing' their dogs and later discovering the ribbons or other markers, indicating the dogs were stolen.

It's happening here as well. More so on the northern end of the Central Coast through to the Newcastle/Maitland/Cessnock areas. They use ribbons or stickers that are different colours, apparantly each colour means a certain breed/type of dog.

A question I can't answer in my head... why would 'the dogfighters' be marking gates with paint, ribbons etc etc when there are constant news stories freaking about it all. Why draw attention to themselves while doing it... why draw attention to yourselves walking down the street later when you're stealing the dogs checking every gate for a tiny mark?? Why not just make a note of the addresses that have dogs that you want?? It makes no sense...

yes that is odd. How much easier would it be to just text an address, rather than physically place a little ribbon.

yes that is odd. How much easier would it be to just text an address, rather than physically place a little ribbon.

Yep, I just can't fathom that people committing an illegal act (stealing a dog) to do another illegal act (dogfighting), would risk being seen/noticed in such a way (TWICE - once putting the ribbons on, and then a second time trawling through the streets finding them)........ when they could just text an address. I mean in this case if it actually was to steal the dogs they've now been foiled - the owner has noticed and will presumably be keeping the dogs inside or something like that. So they lose the dogs. It just makes no sense, and I haven't seen any evidence other than people getting upset on facebook that such marks are anything to do with dog thefts or dog fighting.

Edited by melzawelza

A week ago several dogs in my area all went missing around about the same time. But they weren't typical 'fighting dog' breeds either. I haven't heard of marking or anything, but the only person who's gotten their dog back had been offering quite a huge reward and 'no questions asked'. Makes me sick.

Edited by corie

Yep, I just can't fathom that people committing an illegal act (stealing a dog) to do another illegal act (dogfighting), would risk being seen/noticed in such a way (TWICE - once putting the ribbons on, and then a second time trawling through the streets finding them)........ when they could just text an address. I mean in this case if it actually was to steal the dogs they've now been foiled - the owner has noticed and will presumably be keeping the dogs inside or something like that. So they lose the dogs. It just makes no sense, and I haven't seen any evidence other than people getting upset on facebook that such marks are anything to do with dog thefts or dog fighting.

Perhaps the ribbon is for another party to identify the address. It is possible that the ribbon 'installer' is out and about scouting.