Tips On Finding A Breeding Female Beagle

rogue6901

Hey guys i have 2 purebreed beagles and ive breed the older one a few times before and it was just by dumb luck i found a family with a female beagle that was interested in breeding the 2. The younger beagle is one of the pups from the last litter and he is about 4 years old now and i was going to start trying to find a female to breed him with and i was just looking for some info on good ways to try and find one that would be interested in mating. thx

Are you an ANKC registered breeder ? If not, you won't find any help here

Really? So people who are registered breeders of working dog registries or other registries are not welcome here on this forum?

Really? So people who are registered breeders of working dog registries or other registries are not welcome here on this forum?

you know that's not true but beagles are not working register they are ANKC.

na im not whats involved in becoming one and do both parties need to be registered?

You need to complete a membership application and undertake a breeders exam ( it varies from state to state ).

You will also need to have dogs and bitches that are ANKC main registered.

You might also like to think about why you want to breed, what does this particular dog or bitch have to offer the gene pool, how do they compare to the breed standard, how will you improve on the quality of dog that you have, do they have correct temperaments.

Are you prepared to find yourself a breed mentor and work towards making a positive contribution to the breed ?

To be a registered breeder you need to belong to your state canine council ( In Qld: http://www.cccq.org.au/ ). you also then need to sit the open book exam and apply for a breeders prefix. As part of this you need to agree to the code of ethics and rules and regulations of the organisation (which you can find on the website).

Your dogs also need to be registered (which means there is a clear certified record of their pedigrees which proves they are purebred and also have the family tree you say they have - basically an official birth certificate).

You should know that it is not general practice for a dog owner to go looking for a bitch to breed their dog to. Generally someone whill have a suitable bitch and then go looking for a suitable dog to use which improves upon her weak points and does not double up on any major faults. The aim of a breeding always being to improve on your stock (ALL dogs have faults and as a breeder it is important for you to know what they are. The 'blueprint' for your breed is contained in the written breed standard).

Also important is knowing the health issues in your breed, health testing breeding stock, knowing any issues in the lines and taking these into account when making your breeding decisions. Pet owners deserve breeders who breed the healthiest and most structurally sound dogs they can that are good examples of their breed.

Understand that unless your Beagles are registered and unless you are a registered breeder you will automatically be considered a 'backyard breeder' who is less than responsible as these are 'basics' that will generally be required to be considered a responsible breeder (and before anyone gets their knickers in a twist we are talking Beagles here). As this website is a purebred dog community aimed at promoting responsible breeding, you will not really find any support for the breeding of unregistered beagles here. HOWEVER, if you want to take your time to learn how to be a responsible breeder and are willing to learn and go forward in that fashion (which may mean not breeding, and even perhaps desexing, your unregistered dogs and keeping them as your special pets only), then you will find many eager to help you out.

Edited by espinay2

That's a big stretch. Wreckit did not say that.

Some great advice already given.

To be a registered breeder you need to belong to your state canine council ( In Qld: http://www.cccq.org.au/ ). you also then need to sit the open book exam and apply for a breeders prefix. As part of this you need to agree to the code of ethics and rules and regulations of the organisation (which you can find on the website).

Your dogs also need to be registered (which means there is a clear certified record of their pedigrees which proves they are purebred and also have the family tree you say they have - basically an official birth certificate).

You should know that it is not general practice for a dog owner to go looking for a bitch to breed their dog to. Generally someone whill have a suitable bitch and then go looking for a suitable dog to use which improves upon her weak points and does not double up on any major faults. The aim of a breeding always being to improve on your stock (ALL dogs have faults and as a breeder it is important for you to know what they are. The 'blueprint' for your breed is contained in the written breed standard).

Also important is knowing the health issues in your breed, health testing breeding stock, knowing any issues in the lines and taking these into account when making your breeding decisions. Pet owners deserve breeders who breed the healthiest and most structurally sound dogs they can that are good examples of their breed.

Understand that unless your Beagles are registered and unless you are a registered breeder you will automatically be considered a 'backyard breeder' who is less than responsible as these are 'basics' that will generally be required to be considered a responsible breeder (and before anyone gets their knickers in a twist we are talking Beagles here). As this website is a purebred dog community aimed at promoting responsible breeding, you will not really find any support for the breeding of unregistered beagles here. HOWEVER, if you want to take your time to learn how to be a responsible breeder and are willing to learn and go forward in that fashion (which may mean not breeding, and even perhaps desexing, your unregistered dogs and keeping them as your special pets only), then you will find many eager to help you out.

:thumbsup: great post as always

yeh gettin some really good info which was what i was after. The only reason i wanted to breed was i wanted to own another beagle in another 2 years or so as does my brother who has a sibling of my younger dog.Thats the only reason i bred the older one in the past as well. So would it be best to do the registration and exam etc before i find a family with a female or would it be best to do it all together because i doubt if i find anyone locally they would have the ankc registration. Also is there a maximum age recommended when it comes to breeding. thanks

rogue6901 I really hope you take the excellent advice offered here and join this fantastic community.

I'm not a registered breeder. I leave that to people who are registered and know what they are doing.

Instead I'm a breed rescue person, mainly for west highland white terriers. I have two desexed rescue westies of my own and foster westies as needed before finding them brilliant homes. This is what I'm good at. Learning rescue is incredibly rewarding if you decide that registered breeding is not for you. I implore you not to backyard breed and potentially add to the number of unregistered beagles who end up in overflowing rescue services needing homes or worse, being killed in pounds.

Rescue and registered breeding are incredibly rewarding. Before you make a decision, lurk around here, learn lots and make a good choice between desexing your pooches as special pets, rescue and registered breeding.

Good luck and will be really interested in what you decide. smile.gif

yeh gettin some really good info which was what i was after. The only reason i wanted to breed was i wanted to own another beagle in another 2 years or so as does my brother who has a sibling of my younger dog.Thats the only reason i bred the older one in the past as well. So would it be best to do the registration and exam etc before i find a family with a female or would it be best to do it all together because i doubt if i find anyone locally they would have the ankc registration. Also is there a maximum age recommended when it comes to breeding. thanks

rogue I seriously looked at becoming a registered breeder about seven years ago. After doing the investigation you're currently doing, I decided breeding wasn't for me. I'm single, have no back-up and became seriously concerned about how I would manage a whelping bitch, work full-time and manage any difficulties and complications. Never mind manage the first six to eight critical weeks of life of a litter of squealing puppies. As part of my research I also spoke to one of the best westie breeders in the country. She checked my girls pedigree and said it was fine, but she did herself out of a stud fee by questioning Sarah's age to safely breed (she was five) and asked if I prepared to lose her? She said if Sarah was her dog she wouldn't do it. That for me was the bottom line. I wasn't prepared to lose my lovely girl. So I think there are some questions in there for you to ask yourself. I strongly recommend you have a chat and make friends with a registered beagle breeder and hopefully find a mentor. That way you really go into registered breeding with your eyes open. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

So would it be best to do the registration and exam etc before i find a family with a female or would it be best to do it all together because i doubt if i find anyone locally they would have the ankc registration. Also is there a maximum age recommended when it comes to breeding. thanks

The owner of the bitch is the breeder, so as owner of the dog you need to be a CCCQ member (Dogs Qld) but you don't need to have a registered prefix (sit the exam) and are not the breeder.

Your dog won't be ANKC registered so no pups he sires can be, so no registered breeder is going to be interested in using him - firstly because he's not registered so his pups can't be and secondly because it's against the code of ethics to breed a registered dog or bitch to an unregistered bitch or dog.

Maximum age for a dog can be anything up to 12-14 years depending on the breed, for a bitch much younger.

My suggestion - spend the next two years finding a Beagle breeder you like and like their dogs and buy a pup.

2 years is also plenty of time to contact some registered breeders and wait for a puppy with all of the necessary health testing behind it to maximise the chance of a healthy dog to be a member of your family for many years to come.

I'd like to ask you to reconsider breeding your Beagle. They are lovely dogs but not for everyone.

If you'd care to look at the pounds in Sydney and elsewhere, Beagles are appearing with great regularity these days - of all ages - from 1 up to 12 yrs of age.

There is Beagle Rescue NSW and doubtless they are in other states too. They are inundated with unwanted Beagles.

Always important to thoroughly investigate a market if you are about to start producing goods for sale within. There is currently an over supply. Anyone can sell puppies, of course they can, but the trick is making sure that the homes are suitable and committed for the rest of the dogs' lives. Beagles need busy lives involving heaps of exercise etc. This in itself indicates that many homes are not going to cut it.

Can you take your puppies back if things don't work out - in 6 months, a year, 5 years?

Edited by dogmad