Catahoulas

I've noticed there's not many threads on Catahoula's, except to say they seem be mostly up the Northern part of Australia.

We have a few in foster care at the moment, one who's been with us for a while, and another who's come in recently, and had a litter of pups.

They seem like a very loyal an protective breed, sometimes a little nutty, and needing a firm leader.

Has anyone else had much experience with the breed?

post-47527-0-28026100-1372407252_thumb.jpeg

post-47527-0-14808100-1372407376_thumb.jpg

post-47527-0-82853100-1372407396_thumb.jpg

They are gorgeous dogs but are bred to work all day. They really aren't all that suitable as a pet. They problem solve things and will out think the average dog owner. They can climb, dig and swim so keeping them confined can be a challenge in itself. They get bored easily which can lead to destructive behaviours. They do not mature until they are 3yrs old and have a mind of their own. They are a very protective breed and can be a little scary with it at times in that they will defend their owner from any perceived threat (in their mind, it need not actually be real). They are very physically strong dogs and even at only 45kg they would be able to pull over most people if they tried. They are a prey dog and it doesn't matter if it is SWF, possums, birds or snakes, once they decide they want it, it is very difficult to redirect them from their target.

These comments are from experience as I had one in rescue and after 11 months of combined training, behaviourists and a lady who was paid to run her twice a week, the decision was not to rehome her as she was just too unpredictable to put her safely in the community. She had never been used as a pigging dog but that is what they are bred for here in Australia. I understand overseas they are used as cattle herding dogs as their energy is seemingly endless.

I have spoken to someone else who owns one and she has observed her other dogs will not accept the Catahoula as part of the pack and she is ostracised. i had noticed something similar in my pack. She wanted to be top but the other dogs wanted to have very little to do with her. The other lady also finds it a very difficult breed to own (and like me has a lot of experience with lots of different breeds).

I have a catahoula cross living at my house at present. Lovely soft natured bitch. Her owner uses her to hunt pigs and she is the sweetest natured dog. Her owner cares for all his dogs well and all his hunting dogs have divine natures.

I worked with quite a few catahoulas in the states which were mostly hunting dogs. I really enjoyed them, they are very determined but all were very personable and got on well with most of the other dogs. They are very driven and most of the males would try to put it over you (one poor girl in the shelter had it put over her a few times as she was just too much of a push over and they took advantage of that) From what I've seen they are a wonderful breed but definitely not for everyone. I also think they need to be used for what they were bred to do as it seems very ingrained.

They are gorgeous dogs but are bred to work all day. They really aren't all that suitable as a pet. They problem solve things and will out think the average dog owner. They can climb, dig and swim so keeping them confined can be a challenge in itself. They get bored easily which can lead to destructive behaviours. They do not mature until they are 3yrs old and have a mind of their own. They are a very protective breed and can be a little scary with it at times in that they will defend their owner from any perceived threat (in their mind, it need not actually be real). They are very physically strong dogs and even at only 45kg they would be able to pull over most people if they tried. They are a prey dog and it doesn't matter if it is SWF, possums, birds or snakes, once they decide they want it, it is very difficult to redirect them from their target.

These comments are from experience as I had one in rescue and after 11 months of combined training, behaviourists and a lady who was paid to run her twice a week, the decision was not to rehome her as she was just too unpredictable to put her safely in the community. She had never been used as a pigging dog but that is what they are bred for here in Australia. I understand overseas they are used as cattle herding dogs as their energy is seemingly endless.

I have spoken to someone else who owns one and she has observed her other dogs will not accept the Catahoula as part of the pack and she is ostracised. i had noticed something similar in my pack. She wanted to be top but the other dogs wanted to have very little to do with her. The other lady also finds it a very difficult breed to own (and like me has a lot of experience with lots of different breeds).

That's a very negative write up generalizing an entire breed due to an experience with a single dog.

This is what we have found with the first dog I put the picture up of. She's currently living in a pack, and get on really well with a shep x and they play all day. I think she was just used as a guard dog before we got her, she was very hesitant with strangers but has come along in leaps and bounds.

Well the Catahoula breeders I contacted showed no interest in helping one in the pound. They are VERY rare so I was a little taken aback.

I've found this also... Purebreds are probably very rare, but we do tend to have a lot of Catahoula x's in FNQ probably because pig hunting is quite big up here.

Perhaps but it is my experience and the OP did ask for opinions. This is mine.

Sure, but I'm just highlighting that its maybe best not to make very generalized, mostly negative comments about he entire breed when you've only met one dog (that was a rescue at that so no idea on it's prior experience). Better to just say that was your experience with one dog. There is huge variations within breeds.

Perhaps but it is my experience and the OP did ask for opinions. This is mine.

Sure, but I'm just highlighting that its maybe best not to make very generalized, mostly negative comments about he entire breed when you've only met one dog (that was a rescue at that so no idea on it's prior experience). Better to just say that was your experience with one dog. There is huge variations within breeds.

Perhaps you could re-read my post as I believe I had made it quite clear on where my perspective and knowledge came from. I am not sledging the breed and I loved the girl I worked with deeply