3 Oldies And An Odd Situation

I had a phone call today at work from an older lady who wanted to put her 5 animals down, 2 cats and 3 dogs. I asked her why and she said that she was getting on and she decided it was best to have them put down instead of her not waking up one day and them going to the pound. I had a chat with her and informed her about rescue organisations as she didn't know they existed and she asked if I could get her the numbers of some rescues that may take her 3 little dogs, all JRT mini foxy crosses. Two are about 11 and the other is 10. I said I would try to find rescues that could perhaps help her out before we go straight to euthanasia. So does anyone know any rescues that deal with oldies of this breed and this type of situation? Thanks

Would it be possible for her to keep them and bequeathe them to a rescue with a donation if she is unable to care for them?

I will suggest that to her on Monday as well. She was quite distressed today so I'll have a better chat with her on Monday and suggest that. Good idea.

ETA: Would still need some rescues that would take older dogs of that breed.

Edited by mixeduppup

She says she's 78 and she's afraid she'll go to sleep and not wake up again and her pets would be left all alone. She was adamant she wanted them pts until i gave her alternatives and now she wants some numbers.

Edited by mixeduppup

She says she's 78 and she's afraid she'll go to sleep and not wake up again and her pets would be left all alone. She was adamant she wanted them pts until i gave her alternatives and now she wants some numbers.

Is there any way you can get pics of them, it might help.

Maree

CPR

Is there any way you can get pics of them, it might help.

Maree

CPR

I'll try but can't promise anything. :)

This is very very sad. I live alone and although I am not as old as your lady, MUP, I worry that I might pop off the perch and the dogs and cat are alone until someone realises I'm not around :eek:

So, a suggestion: She arranges with a friend, relative, neighbour, to call/text/email (although I imagine she isn't on line) every day just to say that she is still alive. If they don't hear, whoever is her contact person comes around to check.

She needs to have hard and fast conditions in her will for the animals to go to such and such a rescue and also in her will ensure a financial contribution for their upkeep.

My Dad is about to turn 79 and his cat means everything to him. He lives alone, so every day he calls my mobile just for a few rings so I know he's OK.This way if I don't get the missed call on my phone I contact him. He is very worried what will happen to the cat if he dies and is lying there dead with nobody knowing.

she needs to let people know that if something was to happen to her that she wants her pets put to sleep rather than going to a pound. At least she will have her pets with her until that time.

Tell her to tell her neighbours, her family and to write clearly her instructions and leave it in a very findable place in her house.

the Red Cross have a Telecross service. Each day an elderly person receives a call from a volunteer, if its not answered they wait a few minutes and then call back, if not answered again the volunteer calls for help. the call is not for a chat, its just a hello and yes i'm ok. Maybe she could get on this list? I agree with others have something in place for when she does pass and enjoy her companions now.

I am also elderly and I can understand exactly where this older person is coming from. I also am afraid that one day I might not wake up and then what would happen to my dogs. After a few days would they eat me? :eek: I know I do not want them ever to be in a pound because I love them so much. They are my world.

I think this older person should be reassured and given some community support (the Red Cross daily phone call is a good start.) Her wishes about what should happen to her dogs should also be respected. Also maybe she is a bit depressed, maybe suicidal. I think she needs support and reassurance that if she were to become unwell her beloved pets would be cared for sympathetically and it is safe for them to stay with her.

the Red Cross have a Telecross service. Each day an elderly person receives a call from a volunteer, if its not answered they wait a few minutes and then call back, if not answered again the volunteer calls for help. the call is not for a chat, its just a hello and yes i'm ok. Maybe she could get on this list? I agree with others have something in place for when she does pass and enjoy her companions now.

that is a great idea, support would really help her most likely

I'll give her all this information on monday, i'll even ask my boss if the vet can be elected the contact number when she does pass for her animals as I got the impression she was quite alone.

I hope she can get some peace of mind. Her pets are not all that old and her fears, though totally justifiable, shouldn't lead her to do something unnecessary

MUP I want to thank you for caring about this old lady. :thumbsup: You probably made her day.

Ditto.

We had a situation like that with an 11 yr old p/b Tibbie. This lady, in her 80s, knew her health would be fading over the next few years & wanted to see if Sita (the tib) could be rehomed while she was still well & alert enough to supervise that she went to a good home. She, too, was frightened that some bad health event would leave Sita stranded.

So she phoned the Tibetan Spaniel Association of Victoria... who put her on to tibbie folk closer to her in Q'ld. Wonderful lady from Cav Rescue Qld was nearby.... & went and talked with her and had a look at Sita. Her view was that Sita would settle happily in a new home... even if it had other dogs.

Sydney Tibbie pet owners put up their hand for Sita & drove to Tweed Heads to meet the lady & Sita. And Sita did settle in.... with 3 Tibbie boys for 'brothers'...& an adoring family. Happy ending all round... the elderly lady is kept up to date with pics & stories about Sita. This was this lady's choice....seeing & knowing Sita had a forever home.

post-3304-0-37181800-1372493314_thumb.jpg

I also agree that there can be legacy programs (AWL & RSPCA run them up here in Qld). Older person undertakes to provide a legacy payment on their death (or disablement) & the organisation will rehome.

The important thing is that there are options other than PTS. You're great in caring & supporting the lady in finding whatever one brings her peace of mind.

Edited by mita

We had a situation like that with an 11 yr old p/b Tibbie. This lady knew her health would be fading over the next few years & wanted to see if Sita (the tib) could be rehomed while she was still well & alert enough to supervise that she went to a good home. She, too, was frightened that some bad health event would leave Sita stranded.

So she phoned the Tibetan Spaniel Association of Victoria... who put her on to tibbie folk closer to her in Q'ld. Wonderful lady from Cav Rescue Qld was nearby.... & went and talked with her and had a look at Sita. Her view was that Sita would settle happily in a new home... even if it had other dogs.

Sydney Tibbie pet owners put up their hand for Sita & drove to Tweed Heads to meet the lady & Sita. And Sita did settle in.... with 3 Tibbie boys for 'brothers'...& an adoring family. Happy ending all round... the elderly lady is kept up to date with pics & stories about Sita.

That 78 yr old lady might like to hear how this option worked out.

I also agree that there can be legacy programs (AWL & RSPCA run them up here in Qld). Older person undertakes to provide a legacy payment on their death (or disablement) & the organisation will rehome.

I enquired about this program (bolded part) here in the ACT with the RSPCA and I got the feeling the dog would need to pass a temperament test first which has made me reluctant to leave them any money. I may be wrong. I doubt mine would pass such a test.