Breeders Of Merle Breeds

KatrinaM

Merle is dominant so I would not think a merle test would be needed? I guess, unless you suspect cryptic merle?

Any solid appearing progeny of a merle can be a cryptic merle and for breeding purposes should be tested if possible unless they will always be bred into all solid lines. The problem is finding somewhere to test for merle. Also reds with a merle parent can be merles but it won't show they definitely need to be tested before breeding.

As far as I am aware there is currently no test for merle patterning. There *was* a test a few years ago but I believe it was found that the gene they were testing was not actually responsible for the merle pattern and was instead a form of piebald marking.

The K locus has nothing to do with whether a dog has the gene for merle patterning.

As far as I am aware there is currently no test for merle patterning. There *was* a test a few years ago but I believe it was found that the gene they were testing was not actually responsible for the merle pattern and was instead a form of piebald marking.

The K locus has nothing to do with whether a dog has the gene for merle patterning.

Correct. The K gene has nothing to do with merle.

The first link I put up, part way down the page, states-

"A test for merle is available through IDEXX. The test must be ordered through a licensed veterinarian who has an account with IDEXX Laboratories. The test requires either 2mL of blood in an edta (purple-top) tube or 1-2 cheek swabs. I recommend submitting blood. The test code is 3341 (MER). Results usually take 5-7 working days. If your veterinarian has questions about the test, he/she should call IDEXX at 1-888-433-9987. They will only speak to a veterinarian with an IDEXX account."

There is an IDEXX lab in Australia but I think this merle test is only done in Canada.

I'll giva ASAP a call then and see what exactly it is a have paid for, as when asked for a merle test the dog was tested for the k locis.

The K locus just determines if tri and sable from the A series, actually show on the dog. All dogs have the genes for sable or tri except for a few exceptions like bi Shelties who have a recessive black gene there. For most dogs the sable or tri genes are there but a dog that is KK will not show those markings. For tri and sable to show properly the dog needs to kk. Those that are Kk should not show any pattern but a few show "ghost markings" for some reason and this is now believed to be what seal colour is.