Police Shoot Dog

myValkyrie

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/california-cops-shoot-rottweiler-dead-in-front-of-owner-leon-rosby/story-fndir2ev-1226673433471

DISTURBING video that has now gone viral shows the moment police shot dead a dog as his owner was being arrested.

The dog's owner, Leon Rosby, was taking video of police officers in Hawthorne, California, on Sunday evening as they surrounded a house where two people had been robbed at gunpoint in a non-related incident.

Police complained about loud music coming from Mr Rosby's car as he was outside the vehicle with his 60-kilogram Rottweiler filming the scene on his phone.

As they come to arrest him, Mr Rosby puts his dog in the car. However once he is handcuffed the dog jumps out the car window and then lunges at one of the officers as he goes to grab the leash. The officer then shoots the dog several times.

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT To view the video please click here.

Mr Rosby told the Daily Breeze that he was left devastated at seeing his three-year-old dog die in front of him.

"I was crying and hollering, 'My dog! My dog! Max! Max!' " he said. "He literally shot my puppy I had since he was 6 weeks old."

police shoot dog dead

Leon Rosby films police in Hawthorne, California.

"There was no way Max should have died like that," Mr Rosby said. "Max was only protecting his master. He was trying to stop them from beating on me."

"The music may have been a little loud but I was complying," Mr Rosby said. "I said, 'Sir, I want to make sure nobody's civil rights were being violated.' "

Mr Rosby said he believed police were retaliating against him because of previous run-ins with local police. Mr Rosby has previous convictions for resisting arrest, battery and driving under the influence. Mr Rosby, who is black, said he has filed six complaints against the Hawthorne Police Department, alleging mistreatment and racial profiling.

Hawthorne police Lt. Scott Swain said the shooting was in the interests of everyone's safety.

"I know it's the dog's master, and more than likely not going to attack him, (but) we've got a guy handcuffed that's kind of defenseless. We have a duty to defend him, too," he said.

Mr Rosby spent Sunday night in jail before being released. He says the police won't let him have his dog's body.

police shoot dog dead

Leon Rosby puts his dog in the car as police come to arrest him.

Mr Rosby said he and Max were driving back from the dog park and the car trip was filled with Max affectionately licking Mr Rosby's neck.

"All he did was love me," he said.

The video went viral after being uploaded to Reddit and YouTube.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I think police over reacted - yes absolutely......do I think the owner placed himself and the dog in harm's way - yes.....why not roll up the windows of the car when you put the dog in it or better yet just keep driving anfd don't stop in the first place.....an awful death for the dog......

I can't see why they couldn't have let the owner get the dog under control (ie put him back in his car) for 1 minute and called the local authorities to come and take the dog into care.

I wasn't entirely sure that they had a really good reason for arresting the guy apart from the fact he had p---d them off.

Uncalled for? Definitely not! That cop abused his power for no reason, he egged the dog on then shot it and left it to die in agony. The dogs owner had broken no laws.

I would like to see the cop charged with animal cruelty and preferably have his badge taken away for good.

There is no place for arrogant yahoos with badges, they are supposed to be there to protect not abuse.

Uncalled for? Definitely not! That cop abused his power for no reason, he egged the dog on then shot it and left it to die in agony. The dogs owner had broken no laws.

I would like to see the cop charged with animal cruelty and preferably have his badge taken away for good.

There is no place for arrogant yahoos with badges, they are supposed to be there to protect not abuse.

Do you call police 'pigs' when you need their assistance?

A tragic incident but referring to police as pigs is out of line.

There was no need to arrest that chap and no reason at all to murder the Rottie :(

I signed a petition regarding the incident .

I have read many an article relating to a lot of USA cops that seem to be trigger happy when it comes to dogs , their nerves must be blow and I feel they then should be on 'sickness leave '. :mad

Just read the police involved have now been relocated and there families are also under protection. A community about to explode? The straw that broke the camels back?

Isnt that just lovely. So the people employed to protect the community are now being protected from the community? And their families are as well? Fabulous. Gotta love vigilantes.

Its horrible but given the dog lunges and its a pretty big dog I can understand they removed the threat. How bloody badly though. The dog was close not moving around much. The least they could have done was kill it cleanly or put it out of its misery.

Leaving it to die that way... disgusting.

They need to be retrained or reassigned if thats their level of skill.

The poor man having to watch that. Although I do think it was rediculous the way he was behaving to start with. The dog has clearly paid the price.

Some policemen/women have been known to act like pigs... but the vast majority seem to be just trying to get their jobs done and go home safe...

2 of my cousins are policemen, and my other cousin's husband is too... I think all of them do a pretty good job without being arsewipes in uniforms.

The cop that shot that dog needs some serious retraining in how to shoot... and to learn when is the proper tme to do so. He could have used a taser instead...

T.

I never called them pigs, read my post properly! I said no wonder they do get called pigs.

I did read your post properly. I also read your first response to me in context with your initial post.

Just read the police involved have now been relocated and there families are also under protection. A community about to explode? The straw that broke the camels back?

Isnt that just lovely. So the people employed to protect the community are now being protected from the community? And their families are as well? Fabulous. Gotta love vigilantes.

Shooting dogs which were well behaved, and had owners on hand is hardly "protecting the community" Hopefully the polie and their families are moved somewhere with few people and no dogs.

It appears that there was no reason for arresting the dog's owner.

Edited by Jed