Sick Brand New Puppy :(

grommit

We have just welcomed a new little staffy puppy into our home a 1.5 days ago and sadly today she is with the vet who has advised she is anemic and they suspect there is something wrong internally - we are devastated but are willing to do what is needed to make her well. She was off the 1st night and y'day we decided to take her up to the vet - we thought it just might have been her adjusting to her new environment. I just wanted to know what my rights are if worst comes to worst in regards to the breeder. We purchased her from a known registered breeder (we did a lot of research) and she had to be flown to us as the breeder was not local. We have not yet spoken to the breeder as we are waiting on the vet results first & I'm not sure how best to approach them as not to offend- Does anyone have any advice??

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd advise to wait for the results from the vet before asking about breeder responsibilities.

The first test I'd have done would be a parvo test - it's a simple test that takes about 5 minutes, and will give immediate results.

The next thing would be an xray and/or and ultrasound to check for any physical damage/blockages/issues.

By all means, call the breeder and let them know that your pup is not well, but don't go into whose responsibility it all is before you know all of the medical facts. The breeder may offer assistance or not, but without all of the facts neither of you really know what you are dealing with yet, right?

T.

I'd advise to wait for the results from the vet before asking about breeder responsibilities.

The first test I'd have done would be a parvo test - it's a simple test that takes about 5 minutes, and will give immediate results.

The next thing would be an xray and/or and ultrasound to check for any physical damage/blockages/issues.

By all means, call the breeder and let them know that your pup is not well, but don't go into whose responsibility it all is before you know all of the medical facts. The breeder may offer assistance or not, but without all of the facts neither of you really know what you are dealing with yet, right?

T.

exactly what tdierikx said, also have you changed the pups diet from what it was on. One of our pups that we sold got very sick when the new owner changed the pups diet. We gave a full bag of food for each of our puppies so the owners had a good supply and could introduce a new food slowly, unfortunately this owner didn't do it that way.

We have just welcomed a new little staffy puppy into our home a 1.5 days ago and sadly today she is with the vet who has advised she is anemic and they suspect there is something wrong internally - we are devastated but are willing to do what is needed to make her well. She was off the 1st night and y'day we decided to take her up to the vet - we thought it just might have been her adjusting to her new environment. I just wanted to know what my rights are if worst comes to worst in regards to the breeder. We purchased her from a known registered breeder (we did a lot of research) and she had to be flown to us as the breeder was not local. We have not yet spoken to the breeder as we are waiting on the vet results first & I'm not sure how best to approach them as not to offend- Does anyone have any advice??

you should have let the breeder know right away. Certainly do so now. Why is your first thought what are my rights? Sh!t happens to everyone, including good breeders and good owners. There was a flight inbetween the breeder and you as well. What possibly happened there? The best way to approach them is to let them know the pup is sick, what your vet said and that you will let them know what the test results show as soon as you know. Lose all thoughts of "your rights". If the breeder is a good one they will be more upset then you that the puppy they bred and loved is ill. They have loved and cared for her for 8 weeks. It's possible the stress of the flying might have triggered something, it's all conjecture at this stage.

Thanks guys - vet has advised that puppy is def anemic and they suspect either a bleed in the bowel, bowel infection or her little body is not replenishing her own red blood cells. Still waiting on more results though, Have spoken to the breeder she was really good - has offered to refund cost of puppy on it's return or to put money towards vet bills. We don't want to give her back if she can be healed at a resonable cost for all - prob we have now - where to draw the line???

Thanks guys - vet has advised that puppy is def anemic and they suspect either a bleed in the bowel, bowel infection or her little body is not replenishing her own red blood cells. Still waiting on more results though, Have spoken to the breeder she was really good - has offered to refund cost of puppy on it's return or to put money towards vet bills. We don't want to give her back if she can be healed at a resonable cost for all - prob we have now - where to draw the line???

Only you can decide where you draw the line, whether that's a financial decision or a decision based on the likely outcome of treatment.

I hope the vet can find the problem and that it's easily fixed.

Have you got pet insurance?

Wait and see what is definitely wrong with the pup first before you make decisions. I don't go on cost I go on quality of life. If it's not there that's when I make that decision because that is the deciding factor. If it's something temporary, which the stress of travel probably has caused, then get her better and enjoy your pup.

You wont like this - but Send Her Back.

From information supplied she is currently not healthy.

You may love her, and you will miss her when she goes back. But you can replace her with a healthy pup.

You have 10 - 15 years of life ahead with your dog ..... having a sick one is not an option, or enjoyable. Take up the breeder's offer while you can.

Let the breeder deal with it. None of the 3 options the vet has suggested will have an excellent outcome, imho.

you should have let the breeder know right away. Certainly do so now. Why is your first thought what are my rights? Sh!t happens to everyone, including good breeders and good owners. There was a flight inbetween the breeder and you as well. What possibly happened there? The best way to approach them is to let them know the pup is sick, what your vet said and that you will let them know what the test results show as soon as you know. Lose all thoughts of "your rights". If the breeder is a good one they will be more upset then you that the puppy they bred and loved is ill. They have loved and cared for her for 8 weeks. It's possible the stress of the flying might have triggered something, it's all conjecture at this stage.

I'm quite aware sh@t happens to everyone - what I was getting at was if she is so sick she needs to get PTS what happens then?? It's not all about money - we picked her out at birth, we have been part of her growing up to this point and are friendly with the breeder - that being said though we're not rich - we saved to purchase her and we can't afford to give that money away. We are quite well aware that this could happen to anyone - I just didn't want to upset or offend the breeder.

If I were you, I'd be worrying about ensuring that the pup gets better, and doing everything you can to ensure that. Money would be the last of my concerns, I'd be concentrating on getting the pup everything she needs, and down the track, working out if -

a) it's worth seeking to recoup veterinary costs (if we are talking a few thousand dollars, I would personally just suck it up.), and

b) if there is clearly somebody at fault. Eg, if the pup contracted parvo from the plane, or somehting that can clearly be attributed to somebody or some entity.

In my opinion, if you buy a pup from a breeder that has serious genetic issues, and that the breeder did, or ought to have known about, then it's a separate issue. My primary concern there would be the breeder withholding information and hoping you don't know, and my issue with that is the dishonesty.

This doesn't sound like that situation at all.

You may love her, and you will miss her when she goes back. But you can replace her with a healthy pup.

You have 10 - 15 years of life ahead with your dog ..... having a sick one is not an option, or enjoyable. Take up the breeder's offer while you can.

Let the breeder deal with it. None of the 3 options the vet has suggested will have an excellent outcome, imho.

What would you do to the puppy if she was returned to you - would you fix her up or PTS?? I understand where you are coming from but it's hard to seperate emotions- what if she is healed with no more probs?? Our older staffy has had an infection in the same area years ago and she is fine and still kicking.

What would you do to the puppy if she was returned to you - would you fix her up or PTS?? I understand where you are coming from but it's hard to seperate emotions- what if she is healed with no more probs?? Our older staffy has had an infection in the same area years ago and she is fine and still kicking.

That's why it's a problem at this stage - it's unclear exactly what the problem is and therefore what the treatment and prognosis is. :(

I'd agree with this. If it was a little upset tummy then no, but it sounds much more serious.

I have to disagree with Jed here, this pup does not sound up to travelling, and will be in eligible for air travel. Grommit it sounds like you have a good breeder onside, perhaps it will be best for you to stay in touch with them and your vets, and make decisions based on vet's advice and the circumstances each day. Little animals like your pup can go up or down dramatically very quickly so playing it by ear may be best, so long as you have a good trust level with your vet.

Could pup have a foreign body causing a bleed internally? Has she been chewing anything she shouldn't have?

Fingers crossed all works out soon.

If I were you, I'd be worrying about ensuring that the pup gets better, and doing everything you can to ensure that. Money would be the last of my concerns,

But money is a concern for most people, including me.