Some Good Dog News :)

MelissaS

Nice to see a good dog story and the positive side of FB and social media.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/07/05/454096_gold-coast-news.html

Stolen dogs home after social media storm

Jessica Elder | 07:44am July 5, 2013

Clare Ackfield with her two staffies that were returned to her yard after being stolen nearly a week ago. Pic: Richard Gosling

CLARE Ackfield feared she may never see her staffordshire terriers again after they were stolen from her Lower Beechmont home almost a week ago.

But a massive social media campaign reaching more than 8000 people tugged on the thief's heartstrings and the dogs were dumped outside the family home early yesterday morning.

The two staffordshire terriers were taken from Ms Ackfield's locked backyard while the family was out for just an hour-and-a-half on Saturday, June 29, and returned just as stealthily in the early hours of yesterday morning.

The happy outcome was a miracle come true for the family, who had endured hard times in the past few years including open heart surgery for daughter Grace and a serious car crash.

"Shima and Zuess are Grace's siblings," Ms Ackfield said.

"She has been in Sydney with her grandmother and I hadn't told her they were missing.

"I couldn't break her little heart -- I just knew I had to find them.

"I was a mess and didn't know what to do, so I took to social media and spread the message as much as I could.

"Next thing I knew the dogs were pretty much local celebrities and within six days there were returned to the front yard.

"They both look like they haven't had been fed much, so now we will just focus on getting them back to health."

The dog-napping was the latest in a spate of suspected dog thefts for illegal dog fighting rings.

The RSPCA said there was no concrete proof that a dog theft ring existed, but urged people with missing dogs to contact police.

The dog-napping was the latest in a spate of suspected dog thefts for illegal dog fighting rings.

And yet the dogs were returned unharmed to their home?? How does that work??

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Alas it doesn't :)

Sounds like a personal grievance from someone she knows.

Jessica Elder said it, not Clare Ackfield. The media pushes it, opportunist thieves take what they get, these dogs were too hot to handle.

And so they returned them right back to their front door?? Sorry but if you're worried about being found with dogs "too hot to handle" that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. You'd dump them anywhere you could.

Seems to me that anyone thinking this through would conclude that this is hardly the behaviour of callous, experienced dog thieves. They don't have heartstrings to pull.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I could imagine a scenario where the dogs had been stolen (for whatever reason) by heartless thieves who would not be moved by the public outcry, but who had neighbours, relatives or associates who were so moved thus returned the dogs safely to their home, but anonymously to avoid reprisal by the thieves.

It's all just speculation in any event. Let's just celebrate that the dogs have been returned and are now safe.

Perhaps the dogs just escaped and found their way home

Possibly the place they escaped from WAS their home... a week earlier. :cool:

that crossed my mind as well.

mine too but it's good that they are now home